NYS HDT Registration

RoadWarrior420

Congratulations.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Congratulations! I bet it wasn't easy.

My understanding is that you will still need a NYS Class A CDL to pull a trailer over 10,000 lbs. with it. But I would not place a bet on that information.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Congratulations! I bet it wasn't easy.

My understanding is that you will still need a NYS Class A CDL to pull a trailer over 10,000 lbs. with it. But I would not place a bet on that information.

Jim

Hi Jim,

No actually. I only need what is called an R endorsement, which I took this afternoon. I am non Revenue so that is all I needed. I am done and legit!!!

Congratulations, I see you're going to be at the ECR. I'm not at that point yet but have a buddy that has a KW he is planning to convert to a hauler, He asked me to get any info I could about getting it registered in NY while at the rally.

Thanks

Sean

Sean

That's great RoadWarrior420!

I must have got some bad info from NYS DMV. I was leaving NY anyhow, so I chose not to pursue it further.

I look forward to meeting you at the ECR.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Congrats it's a big relief! Good to hear that NY is working out too. See you at the ECR!!

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Good stuff to know, It may be helpful to others if you write up your experience/method and get it to Mark for

updating the posting on the resource guide.. See ya at ECR.

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

• 2 years later...

Hello RoadWarrior420

I hail from Rottenchester thinking of doing the same OR getting a used short Toterhome and tow a 5th wheel behind it. The latter might make more sense for the "R" endorsement road test since the person giving the test might be confused about giving a road test in a full size tractor! Probably make the test easier to take without having a trailer attached. I would take the test without the 5th wheel of course. And of course if we take the grandchildren on a RV trip we can put them in the Toter which would give us more privacy!!!!

Where did you go for insurance and how did that go? 

Dave

On 8/7/2018 at 8:34 PM, Daveh56 said:

Hello RoadWarrior420

I hail from Rottenchester

Dave,

Since you are from this area.  Do not go to the Greece DMV.  They told me I needed a class A CDL to haul my fiver with a one ton duel wheel pickup since it was over 26000 gcwr.

My truck is insured through National General.  I went through C&C but they have since retired and I cannot think of the name of the agency that is now handling thier clients. I'll look it up when I go home tomorrow.  My local agent who also works with National General was unable to insure it through them.

If you are thinking of converting a truck title to a house on wheels (motorhome). The Genesee County DMV seem to be the most knowledgeable.

Sean

On 8/9/2018 at 7:46 PM, Sean217 said:

Dave,

Since you are from this area.  Do not go to the Greece DMV.  They told me I needed a class A CDL to haul my fiver with a one ton duel wheel pickup since it was over 26000 gcwr.

My truck is insured through National General.  I went through C&C but they have since retired and I cannot think of the name of the agency that is now handling thier clients. I'll look it up when I go home tomorrow.  My local agent who also works with National General was unable to insure it through them.

If you are thinking of converting a truck title to a house on wheels (motorhome). The Genesee County DMV seem to be the most knowledgeable.

Thanks! I found out a few things about New York State Law and motor home conversions which I posted today on this forum. It is rather easy to register a Truck conversion as an RV you just need a frame rail mounted APU preferably with integrated AC and install a refrigerator and microwave oven both powered by the APU and you have yourself a Motor home. As far as getting the R Endorsement road test done it sounds like Genesee County DMV might be the place to go. I also heard Progressive is more Motor home friendly especially tractor conversions.    

For the R endorsement, I don't know if that would be easier or not.  Their examiner's are out of the Buffalo region office and the supervisor in Buffalo will not allow her examiner's to give the road test in a HDT.  Her opinion is that you lied to get it registered as an RV.

Progressive turned me down.

Sean

Progressive turned you down,  did you go through FCIS insurance to get the quote?

1-800-331-1520

https://www.fcisinsurance.com/

Robin Nelson I think can help you.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Archived