Buying a motor home from PPL

cluwood56

Would you go to a private party sale and offer -65%? I think not.

In a buyer's market I would. I may well do it under an assumed name just to judge the reaction - if they counter or reply you have a starting point. You have to start somewhere. There was a thread on here a few years ago that noted that an initial offer in the 65% range was not unusual.

Read it again, Al. It says..........

Our Immediate Cash Purchase program is a great option if you would prefer to sell your unit right away instead of by consignment.

Yes, but the you are taking the statement out of the context of the web page which is all about trading in your RV. If there is a web page at PPL which specifically address the process to bring your RV to PPL and they will buy it, then I would agree that PPL will buy it other than as a trade in. The big stumbling block in my mind is the in the context of the web page the statement is contained in. Also that earlier in this topic there was a statement made about people being told that no PPL won't buy their RV.

I guess my main purpose in continuing the discussion about PPL being willing to outright purchase your RV other than as a trade in on a RV purchased from PPL is to caution anyone thinking of driving into PPL with the thought that they could just sell their RV to PPL w/o purchasing a RV from PPL. If anyone is thinking about that, just be sure to call and ask. Don't just drive there thinking you can sell them your RV.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Since people may be unwilling to admit what they actually paid, maybe Kirk can post one of his surveys asking for initial offer and final paid as percent of asking price. :)

While anyone could start such a survey as the survey tool is open to all forum members, I doubt that it would be of much value as I don't think that most people are willing to share accurate numbers about what they paid for their RV. To be honest, as I think back I would be hard pressed to give actual MSRP, dealer list price, and actual purchase price for most of the RVs that we have owned. I have a rough idea of each one but some are really rough! In the case of our current RV, I bought it in early 2012 and I do remember exactly what I paid for it since our dealer gives you an "out the door" price so there are no additions like sales tax, registration fees, or any sort of "make ready" fees that add to the delivery cost. But in all of the RVs that we have bought over the years, I think that it is the only one that included ever dollar we had to spend to take the RV home.

Then you throw into the mix the human factor where most of us have a tendency to make our bargaining skills look a little bit better than they may have actually been.................... :blink:

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yes, but the you are taking the statement out of the context of the web page which is all about trading in your RV. If there is a web page at PPL which specifically address the process to bring your RV to PPL and they will buy it, then I would agree that PPL will buy it other than as a trade in. The big stumbling block in my mind is the in the context of the web page the statement is contained in. Also that earlier in this topic there was a statement made about people being told that no PPL won't buy their RV.

I guess my main purpose in continuing the discussion about PPL being willing to outright purchase your RV other than as a trade in on a RV purchased from PPL is to caution anyone thinking of driving into PPL with the thought that they could just sell their RV to PPL w/o purchasing a RV from PPL. If anyone is thinking about that, just be sure to call and ask. Don't just drive there thinking you can sell them your RV.

I get your point. I have no personal experience. I only know what I read. Looks pretty clear to me.

I called PPL this morning and specifically asked if they buy RV's outright. The answer was a clear "yes". Then, the sales person went on to give the details of how to do it. You make an appointment to bring your unit in, the appraiser spends less than an hour, then a cash offer is made to you for your RV.

Obviously, you won't receive retail value for your RV. You won't receive as much as if you sell it on consignment. The rep made both of these facts clear in our conversation. But, like their website says, it is an option.

YMMV

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I bought through PPL relying on their description and an independent RV examiner's report. I was in the UK They answered all my questions including sending extra pics and tyre age data.

They helped me get it delivered to Escapees Livingston .who stored it for me.

When I eventually arrived a couple of months later everything was as described except the dash air. This had been reported by the delivery driver and I had informed PPL immediately.

They negotiated with the owner and a new compressor was fitted.

I was very happy with the way I was treated and would buy through them again.

How many do they sell? Well from their web site it is a lot!

4,468 Consigned Pre-owned RVs Sold in the Last 2 Years

FT since September 2007

Safari Trek + M/C

http://johncarolandcharro.blogspot.com/

What would be the best time of year to leave a vehicle on consignment? When would buyer traffic be peaking? Given a choice I don't think I'd want it sitting there in the hottest summer months.

Garry
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500

I get your point. I have no personal experience. I only know what I read. Looks pretty clear to me.

I called PPL this morning and specifically asked if they buy RV's outright. The answer was a clear "yes". Then, the sales person went on to give the details of how to do it. You make an appointment to bring your unit in, the appraiser spends less than an hour, then a cash offer is made to you for your RV.

Obviously, you won't receive retail value for your RV. You won't receive as much as if you sell it on consignment. The rep made both of these facts clear in our conversation. But, like their website says, it is an option.

YMMV

Great info. Glad you called.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

I also believe now or between now & summer when people are thinking of summer vacations. Also winter when the Snow Birds are down for the season.

However I think PPL has quite a few people looking to buy all year long. If your RV is in good condition, clean and the price is reasonable it would move pretty quickly.

I think one advantage is when a serious buyer has been looking at RV's at a dealer and sees prices at 10-30% over NADA average retail and then goes to PPL and finds pretty much the same RV at around NADA, along with NO sales pressure it becomes an easy sell. Also some private sellers look at NADA and decide their RV is much nicer and they paid $xxx for it so it must be worth more than NADA so they price it pretty high.

Of course this is all my opinion and it is worth every bit of what you paid for it. :)

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

While anyone could start such a survey as the survey tool is open to all forum members, I doubt that it would be of much value as I don't think that most people are willing to share accurate numbers about what they paid for their RV.

That's why a blind survey may elicit something close to the actuals. It could be something as simple as a % between initial asking and final paid.

That's why a blind survey may elicit something close to the actuals. It could be something as simple as a % between initial asking and final paid.

Who cares, find a coach you like and make an offer. Eveery coach is differant, do your do dilagence and know the market.

I have ben to the new location in Clearburn Tx and they are alwas busey. They have taken over a big car dealership complex and are still adding stock. I like the parts department.

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

To those who have bought from PPL, I am in CA and before I fly out to Houston I would like an inspection by PPL or an independent surveyor so I know what I am likely to encounter when i arrive. Will they take a deposit to hold until I get there, will they make the offer subject to an independent survey and warranty inspection?

Call and ask no one hear can speak for them.

Bill

450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

Who cares, find a coach you like and make an offer.

Who cares? Anyone that wants to buy a coach and needs a rule of thumb as to how hard to push. Looking at solds alone includes those that overpaid. An average from the experience of all owners on these forums probably will provide a far better rule of thumb. Note that PPL does not provide the original asking price in their sold database (Nor do we even know if they are truthful as to the sold price and they have an incentive to inflate it). We as buyers have to counter that sellers advantage via cooperation.

Who cares? Anyone that wants to buy a coach and needs a rule of thumb as to how hard to push. Looking at solds alone includes those that overpaid. An average from the experience of all owners on these forums probably will provide a far better rule of thumb. Note that PPL does not provide the original asking price in their sold database (Nor do we even know if they are truthful as to the sold price and they have an incentive to inflate it). We as buyers have to counter that sellers advantage via cooperation.

I am sorrey I didn'y realise you were a spechial needs person. I have bought several coaches and never had to ask some one to do my do dilagence for me. Let me try to help you. First no two deals on used or new coaches is the same. Decide on what you are looking for/what is in your price range. Now start reserching KBB RV Shopper EBAY and outer places to see what that unit is going for. Now if you realley want to know what PPL was asking for the "original" asking price find and track some as they are listed the compar that to the sold price. I bet PPL is much more honest than faseless anoumous posters on the internet.

" We as buyers have to counter that sellers advantage via cooperation." Where did you come up with that sensless drivil. No two people bought the exact same coach from the same dealer or individual. There is no real comparable data.

When you find someting you want to buy you do your homework and make an offer based on condition and what you want to spend. The individual not PPL will decide if they like the offer or they say no or make a counter offer. Then you can eathe up your offer or look some where else. PPL has sold 2,820 RVs since January 1, 2015. That and the coments from peopl who have actualey done buisness with them make me believe they are doing something right.

One last thing. "Note that PPL does not provide the original asking price in their sold database" Who cares you should know if it is a good price. If you are intersted in a particular coach you should have done your home work and know what it is worth alowing for variations based on condition.

Bill

450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.

-Mark Twain-

To those who have bought from PPL, I am in CA and before I fly out to Houston I would like an inspection by PPL or an independent surveyor so I know what I am likely to encounter when i arrive. Will they take a deposit to hold until I get there, will they make the offer subject to an independent survey and warranty inspection?

First. I would suggest starting a new topic with your questions. Many people don't follow ongoing topics, looking for a question that needs answering.

A couple of quick answers:

-- Have an independent inspector do the inspection.

-- The last RV I bought from PPL, I did my own inspection and made an offer. On the closing day, I found something which needed fixing. PPL refused to update the offer or ask for a repair unless I paid for PPL's inspection. It seems like when I made the offer I declined PPL's inspection, therefore I was purchasing the RV "as is". I paid the PPL inspection and the repairs were made. So get the inspection before making the offer. I don't know about the deposit and don't remember the details about my deposit.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

First. I would suggest starting a new topic with your questions. Many people don't follow ongoing topics, looking for a question that needs answering.

A couple of quick answers:

-- Have an independent inspector do the inspection.

-- The last RV I bought from PPL, I did my own inspection and made an offer. On the closing day, I found something which needed fixing. PPL refused to update the offer or ask for a repair unless I paid for PPL's inspection. It seems like when I made the offer I declined PPL's inspection, therefore I was purchasing the RV "as is". I paid the PPL inspection and the repairs were made. So get the inspection before making the offer. I don't know about the deposit and don't remember the details about my deposit.

That smells a lot like extortion . I thought PPL was simply the sale broker .

Goes around , comes around .

That smells a lot like extortion . I thought PPL was simply the sale broker .

No it soundes like it is a good idea to understand the conditions you are agreeeing to. I would go to the web site and read the terms and conditions and look at what it sayes in selling and in buying a coach.

Bill

450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.

-Mark Twain-

No it soundes like it is a good idea to understand the conditions you are agreeeing to. I would go to the web site and read the terms and conditions and look at what it sayes in selling and in buying a coach.

Bill

That doesn't change the stink .

Goes around , comes around .

How many people actually take the time to read all parts of contracts that they sign? I am one who usually asks any business that I expect to sign a contract with for a copy of that contract that I can take home to read in detail, but visiting with bank loan officers, I can tell you that this is very rare and almost nobody takes the time to read all of what they sign. In fact, most places we go become impatient when someone does insist upon reading what they sign. I recently had a medical procedure that required me to sign a stack of paperwork and the clerical worker became annoyed when I insisted upon reading all nine pages before I initialed and signed as they required.

Pam was first a loan secretary and later a loan officer in a bank and she can only remember one time a customer that she did loan papers for actually read everything. I'd bet you that the same is true a PPL and most other places. I wonder if anyone can actually say that they have never signed any forms or contracts without having first read every single word of them. I seldom fail to read everything, but I have at times.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk this seames pretty strait foward. From the PPL web site.

When you find an RV you want to purchase, PPL recommends that you thoroughly inspect the vehicle . If it is a motor home, the inspection should include taking it on a test drive with one of our sales representative to make sure it handles satisfactorily. You will then need to sign an earnest money agreement and make a $500.00 earnest money deposit. The earnest money agreement will obligate you to purchase the RV within 5 days. You will have a choice of buying the RV "AS-IS" or you can take advantage of PPL's "pre-delivery check out and demonstration" and then purchase the RV knowing that although there is no warranty, certain components are working at the time of purchase.

PPL's Pre-Delivery Check Out and Demonstration.

The pre-delivery check out and demonstration will include the following equipment:

• Generator
  • D/C Power Converter
  • Roof Air Conditioner (s)
  • Refrigerator (gas and electric)
  • Slide Out (s)
  • Range
  • Oven
  • Furnace
  • Microwave
  • Hot water heater (gas only)
  • Toilet
  • Fresh water pump and System
  • Ice maker
  • Holding tanks (filled to 3/4 full and then checked for leaks)
  • Hydraulic/electric jacks
  • Electric Step
  • Windshield wipers (excluding blades)
  • All batteries are "As-Is"
  • Headlights, blinkers, brake and marker lights

Your cost for this check out is $390.00. The above items, excluding the items noted to be sold "AS-IS", will be demonstrated to you just prior to the "closing". This valuable check out is for your protection so that you know exactly what you are buying, since you are buying the unit from another individual. Once you have purchased it and the vehicle leaves PPL's premises, it will be sold "AS-IS" with no warranty just as if you were dealing directly with the owner.

If any of the items listed above do not work properly during the demonstration and the owner chooses not to repair the items, you may cancel the purchase. If the owner will not repair the item your $500.00 earnest money would be returned and the demonstration fee waived.

When looking over the vehicle you are about to purchase, keep in mind that this is not a brand new vehicle and the owner will not repair all imperfections. The price of the vehicle reflects the overall condition of the vehicle.

From his post Al Florida did his own inspection (aparentley not catching everything) and made an offer to buy it "AS-IS" then when he found ishues he wanted to change the deal.

Pat & Pete please explain what stinks?

Bill

450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.

-Mark Twain-

It was as Wildbill stated and I basically knew I was buying "as-is". I don't think it stinks. I wasn't happy, but it was clearly stated on the doc I signed. The person doing the paperwork even told me, as I was signing, that I was buying "as-is". PPL did not try to hide anything.

PPL could have said, "tough, you decided to buy the RV as-is so you made an offer, it was accepted so either buy it or

BTW, you are buying the rig "as-is", once you pay the money and sign the title papers. Of course you could sue the owners in court if you felt they went out of their way to hide something which you can PROVE they knew about before taking the rig to PPL. Just as you could when buying from a private owner.

Don't forget, you are NOT buying an RV from PPL, you are buying from the private owner and using PPL as an intermediary to handle paperwork and the money.

Of course some of the RV's owned by PPL, so in those cases you are buying directly from PPL. However you are still buying w/o warranty.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

How many people actually take the time to read all parts of contracts that they sign?

Dave and I usually do. We also read documents that come after signing. That's how we found out we'd bought an RV insurance policy that wasn't going to cover anything because we didn't own a second vehicle at that time. We got a refund on that one (Progressive) and bought from a different company (Foremost).

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Archived