Buying a motor home from PPL

cluwood56

My wife and I are looking for a motor home for retirement!

We live in upstate New York and the climate is rough on vehicles so southern is preferred!

We found one at PPL we like and it has an Escapees sticker on it!

The question is what experience has anyone had in dealing with PPL on buying a motor home and what should I expect?

When we were looking to buy an RV we went there often because they had such a large inventory and we could see all different makes, models and floor plans. We figured we would buy from them but happened across exactly what we wanted from a private individual. I have heard nothing but positive comments from people that have sold or bought from PPL. I'm sure there are others on this site that have had dealings with them so hopefully those folks will add their experiences to the conversation.

We almost bought one from PPL but after reading pages of a Google search on that type of unit we discovered there was an old safety recall. PPL called the owner who said that recall had never been done. So while we like PPL and would buy from them if they had what we wanted it is important to always do your own due diligence.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We almost bought one from PPL but after reading pages of a Google search on that type of unit we discovered there was an old safety recall. PPL called the owner who said that recall had never been done. So while we like PPL and would buy from them if they had what we wanted it is important to always do your own due diligence.

Linda Sand

Not PPL, but we bought a coach several years ago with an additional $500 knocked off the price because the Ford master cylinder leaking switch recall had not been done. It took a local Ford truck dealer's tech about 10 minutes to install the fix the next day in their parking lot. Sometimes those missing recalls can be a good bargaining point!

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We've bought two and sold one (all towables) and were satisfied with the experience. Before I flew in, though, I'd ask a salesperson to do me a favor and do a "smell test" - some rigs look great online but have a funky smell.

Also, I wouldn't come unless there were at least 3 or 4 potential rigs.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

I have sold 3 RV's at PPL & purchased 2 RV's there so I have some experience. Overall I like (obviously??) dealing with them.

The good things:

-- NO sales pressure.

-- You sign in at the PPL lot, and take all the time you want to walk the lot. Take any amount of time you want to inspect any RV which interests you.

-- PPL is a great place to browse many different types of RV's and a multitude of floor plans. Especially great if you don't know exactly what you want. Even if you do know what you want, you may come away with ideas and thoughts which may change what you originally wanted.

-- The monetary transactions are handled by PPL. You write your check out to PPL not the seller. The title comes through PPL. I can't tell you there couldn't be some sort of snafu where the seller didn't have a legal right to sell the RV or something else. But with a private seller you, the buyer, are the one taking all the risks.

Since you are looking to purchase remember the following:

-- You are not buying from PPL, you are purchasing from the owner, whom you don't have any contact with.

-- Do your own inspection, or have an independent inspector go over the RV. Expect to pay 4-6 hours of time for the inspection. PPL offers an inspection for a fee and it does check that many things work. However it is not a detailed indepth inspection. PPL doesn't get any money until the RV sells so they don't have a vested interested in finding something that needs to be fixed or may break in the future. I don't, in any way, mean to imply that PPL would try to hide something like an unscrupulous RV dealer might.

-- Do the inspection before making an offer. If you find something, detail it. When you talk with PPL, about making an offer to the seller, include the detail and decide if you want a deduction in price or the owner to get it fixed.

-- Many or most RV's at PPL are several years old, usually before 2010 to the mid to late 1990's. I suspect people with $100K to $300K RV's don't want to pay the 10% sales fee.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Al Florida,

Thanks for the info!

Does PPL offer an inspection service?

I would do the inspection myself but 2 days travel is too far!

How fast do units sell at PPL?

I'm looking to go to Colorado in June, maybe buy way of Texas.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/classa/2004-Dolphin-By-National-RV-30930.htm

This is the unit I'm interested in maybe some one knows it?

Friends have been full-timing for 11 years in that exact year Dolphin and have been very pleased with it. Theyre in the western mountains all the time and have no issues with power.

We sold our motorhome through PPL within a month so if the unit is clean and priced right they go fast. PPL recommended a selling price but we named our own. You'll find some junk there just as you'll find on dealer lots or by for sale by owners.

You'll find that some owners think nothing of dropping off their RV without a little care beforehand. PPL does not pressure sellers to have their unit detailed. We went in one and it even had misc. receipts/scrap papers laying around. Check carefully for water leak damage. There is absolutely no sales pressure by PPL. They will not walk around with you. When you find some you want more information on they'll give you what information the seller gave them. We also left all maintenance receipts and manuals with the unit and the buyer commented that this was a selling point for him.

They do a inspection on the appliances but it would be worthwhile to have an independent inspection done on the chassis, etc., just as you should with any used unit bought anywhere. Our buyer flew in from Florida to buy and he did have an inspection done on it. I don't know from whom though. Good luck!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Al Florida,

Thanks for the info!

Does PPL offer an inspection service?

I would do the inspection myself but 2 days travel is too far!

How fast do units sell at PPL?

I'm looking to go to Colorado in June, maybe buy way of Texas.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/classa/2004-Dolphin-By-National-RV-30930.htm

This is the unit I'm interested in maybe some one knows it?

PPL inspection service? Yes they do, for about $390. Here is PPL's inspection list:

• Generator
  • D/C Power Converter
  • Roof Air Conditioner (s)
  • Refrigerator (gas and electric)
  • Slide Out (s)
  • Range
  • Oven
  • Furnace
  • Microwave
  • Hot water heater (gas only)
  • Toilet
  • Fresh water pump and System
  • Ice maker
  • Holding tanks (filled to 3/4 full and then checked for leaks)
  • Hydraulic/electric jacks
  • Electric Step
  • Windshield wipers (excluding blades)
  • All batteries are "As-Is"
  • Headlights, blinkers, brake and marker lights

Note that none of the inspections are extensive. Like the fridge, it is turned on and allowed to cool for some time and switched to the alternate cooling source, elect or gas, and checked to see if it stays cool. I am not real sure if they check the temp with a thermometer or not. When the fridge is switched from gas to elect or the other way around they don't necessary come back in 3 hours with a thermometer and verify it stays at or below the original temp. If the water heater has the electric heating option it is not checked. Most things, like furnace & air conditioner. It is turned on and if it works, i.e. blows warm or cool air then the test is complete. I don't remember them taking a thermometer and checking the warm air input to the a/c and comparing it to the cold air output to verify the temp drops about 20* or more. I did that test myself. No extensive inspection looking for leaks, or hidden leaks. If motorized, not test of engine, etc.

No posting of date code for tires. They usually note if the tires have dry rot, but you will find RV's on the lot with, at least some of the tires 10 years old. The ones with dry rot were replaced, but the ones which were on the inside dually tires were not.

How quickly do units sell? From one week to 8 months. One RV I sold there, sold in one week. Under priced or lucky that the right buyer found the unit they were looking for? I don't think I under priced the unit. I was about $5k over what PPL recommended. The last RV I bought there was on the lot for over 6 months when I bought it. I also paid considerably below NADA for the RV. PPL does move lots and lots of RV's. One reason is, they push the sellers to not over price, like you find on many dealer lots. A lot of rigs you see on dealer lots seem to be priced at 10% to 20% or 30% over NADA average retail. If you are a good negotiator you can get the dealer down to NADA or below, or maybe not.

Going to Colorado via Texas in June: PPL has three lots, Houston, New Braunfels (just N of San Antonio) and Cleburn (sp?) just SE of Fort Worth. The Houston lot is the largest(I think) and original location.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Not all RV's at PPL are on consignment. Many are owned by PPL. So, you might want to approach the situation differently depending on which is the case.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I don't think more than 5% (if that many) or maybe, but I don't think so, 10% are owned by PPL. From their website, I believe they only have RV's owned by PPL when they take one as a trade in. I don't think they will even consider paying cash out right for an RV and then put it on the lot.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

I don't think more than 5% (if that many) or maybe, but I don't think so, 10% are owned by PPL. From their website, I believe they only have RV's owned by PPL when they take one as a trade in. I don't think they will even consider paying cash out right for an RV and then put it on the lot.

I haven't bought or sold through PPL so I defer to your experience. I have been to PPL many times and always get on their mailing list. I was getting an email from them at least once a month which stated they would buy my RV, they may have abandoned that strategy though. I quit reading the emails. I do know that PPL is a dealer for at least one brand of new RV as they list them in their units for sale.

Here is a direct quote from PPL's website...... http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/seller/trades.htm

PPL will buy your motorhome, fifth wheel, or travel trailer outright, if you so choose.

Our Immediate Cash Purchase program is a great option if you would prefer to sell your unit right away instead of by consignment. We can give you an offer on the spot and pay you cash for your recreational vehicle. Of course, we will have to inspect your unit to arrive at a fair price.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I don't think they will even consider paying cash out right for an RV and then put it on the lot.

I have known two different people who tried to get PPL to buy their RV from them and in both cases they were told no. One of them was about to leave the country for an extended period and sold to someone else. I wonder if the above quote may be something fairly new to the site?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

PPL will work a trade of sorts. If you're buying one off their lot but need to sell yours, they may buy yours to broker the deal. BUT from my recent understanding, you have to have clear title, excellent condition, and they generally lowball the price, and they generally prefer a Class A motorhome trade in.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I don't, in any way, mean to imply that PPL would try to hide something like an unscrupulous RV dealer might.

Good point. After we found the safety recall not done PPL asked us for details about it so they could follow-up.

I have known two different people who tried to get PPL to buy their RV from them and in both cases they were told no. One of them was about to leave the country for an extended period and sold to someone else. I wonder if the above quote may be something fairly new to the site?

My understanding is your RV needs to be fairly new, in great shape, and underpriced. I'm guessing they want only those that will move quickly to get their money back out.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

So what can I expect to pay? In the past people seemed to start negotiations at about 65% of the asking price. Has that changed now? What % of asking price has PPL sold their rigs for lately?

Since people may be unwilling to admit what they actually paid, maybe Kirk can post one of his surveys asking for initial offer and final paid as percent of asking price. :)

I haven't bought or sold through PPL so I defer to your experience. I have been to PPL many times and always get on their mailing list. I was getting an email from them at least once a month which stated they would buy my RV, they may have abandoned that strategy though. I quit reading the emails. I do know that PPL is a dealer for at least one brand of new RV as they list them in their units for sale.

Here is a direct quote from PPL's website...... http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/seller/trades.htm

PPL will buy your motorhome, fifth wheel, or travel trailer outright, if you so choose.

Our Immediate Cash Purchase program is a great option if you would prefer to sell your unit right away instead of by consignment. We can give you an offer on the spot and pay you cash for your recreational vehicle. Of course, we will have to inspect your unit to arrive at a fair price.

Keep in mind that the quote above about buying your RV is embedded in the link from above " http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/seller/trades.htm " which goes to the website page titled " Trade Your RV". Being that the offer to buy is embedded in the "Trade Your RV" I believe that means if you are wanting to buy an RV from PPL they will or may give you cash for your current RV.

If someone finds a place on PPL's website which indicates they are willing to just out right buy your RV please share it with us. Otherwise I feel about 90-95% sure PPL is not likely to buy an RV from you unless it is in trade for another RV.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Read it again, Al. It says..........

Our Immediate Cash Purchase program is a great option if you would prefer to sell your unit right away instead of by consignment.

So what can I expect to pay? In the past people seemed to start negotiations at about 65% of the asking price. Has that changed now? What % of asking price has PPL sold their rigs for lately?

Since people may be unwilling to admit what they actually paid, maybe Kirk can post one of his surveys asking for initial offer and final paid as percent of asking price. :)

On PPL's website, they list every recent RV they've sold and the selling price. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/sold/soldmenu.htm

65%!!!!!!???? Where did you hear that? PPL does not wheel and deal. They don't own the RV. Before the unit is consigned the owner agrees to a price. If the buying party wants to offer differently, PPL relays that offer to the owner which can be accepted or rejected. We set our price a little higher than PPL recommended because we knew that folks will offer less, as we would, also. We came down $3,000 and it was far, far from 65% and still higher than PPL suggested. Would you go to a private party sale and offer -65%? I think not.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Archived