batteries in storage

lazysusan

We are storing a Class A Expedition for a friend.It has solar and house batteries, stay on float at 13.3. The problem is in one week the starting batteries go down to 12.4/80%, there is no power in storage and we will be away for 2 months. Would there be any problem putting jumper cables from house batteries to starting batteries and let solar keep all batteries at 13.3 when in storage?

That should be fine. An alternative would be to just lift one of the starting battery cables, the batteries should be fine for a couple months with no drains on them.

If it was your RV I'd suggest finding the power drain and finding a way to stop it. It might be as simple and hard to find as the one that was driving me nuts on mom's old clunker. The stupid trunk light switch failed... You have no idea how hard it was to find or how dumb I felt when I found it.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

As Stan said, simply remove the negative cables if the present solar is insufficient to maintain both battery banks. Find the power drain is the preferred solution. Our MH starting batteries will maintain their charge for many months, IF I remember to shut off the master switch prior to locking the door with a key.

I searched for a long time finding a parasitic drain. Finally realized the electric door lock was wired to the starting battery bank, and is energized constantly.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I prefer to lift the negative battery cable for many reasons. An open circuit battery will hold it's charge for a very long time and it uses no water to cause lower electrolyte levels. I always open circuit batteries in our vehicles when they are not in use.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I learned about the forgotten load thing when I parked my RV. I forgot I'd given the CB an uncutoffable power source because it's also a weather alert radio and should have power at all times. Not a big deal for a week or two but it'll drain a battery good over the winter. Pulling the negative cable from the starter battery would have saved me from that.

Also, look to see if there is an "emergency start" button. That's basically a jump start from the coach batteries to the starter battery. It won't help the charging situation but it'll get you started if you need it when you get back.

Archived