Books

WaywardWaylander

I had another post started, but after re-reading it, decided to ask the question a different way. I decided I didn't want to get overly specific or particular, as I'm still very much at the beginning of my journey, and don't want to make assumptions.

As someone who is in the early research phase, are there any good books that experienced RVers here would recommend? Topics of interest include full-time RVing, 5th Wheel RVs, and Boondocking.

"A good engineer is always a wee bit conservative, at least on paper." -Scotty, "Star Trek: The Next Generation: Relics"

Blog: Wayward Waylander | Twitter: @WaywardWaylandr | Instagram: WaywardWaylander | Google+: Wayward Waylander

I have used several over many years but in looking online just now, I'm finding that some of them may be dated. I have carried a copy of Bob Livingston's, RV Repair & Maintenance Manual (published by Trailer Life books) for many years but the most recent copy that I can find for sale is from 2002, so it may be there there are better books available today. I have been thinking of updating my copy but if they have stopped updating that book there are probably better ones available. Hopefully, someone will join in to comment on a similar book that they have used.

One book that I have used for years and which is updated with a current version is Next Exit, which tells you what each exit along the interstate highways has available. Another book that we use and buy an updated version of fairly frequently is "Camping With the Corps of Engineers", covering pretty much all of the COE camping facilities. I would also recommend reading at least one book on full-time RV living, but the one that we used is no longer in print and I'm sure that others here will be more current in a suggested title. If you join the Escapees, then I would also travel with their camping guide as we used their "stoppin spots" for dry camping a lot and met some neat people that way.

One last book, which isn't actually an RV book but that can be very inspirational for RV folks and which many of us loved was "Blue Highways", a journey across America. Good reading that prompts some good ideals!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

One of the first books we owned was "RVing for Dummies". While a little simplistic at times it was invaluable info on basic RV systems etc.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

I would echo scouserl41's experience. My wife and I had not even tent camped in 30 years... but we bought a 36' motorhome, and very first thing we did was to attend an Escapee's RV Boot Camp. That got us off to a great start three years ago... and we've been enjoying fulltiming ever since.

Books are good... (I am an inveterate reader), but talking to others like yourself, and interacting with Escapee Instructors, answers the questions that you may not have even thought of yet...

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Archived