Jump to content
Rich&Sylvia

CO/LP detector false alarms

Recommended Posts

I would caution that hydrogen sulfide gas from a battery is highly toxic/poisonous/lethal gas too that can kill you in addition to being explosive. Here are some articles and cases where folks have died from it:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=hydrogen+sulfide+gas+from+chatging+battery+dangerous%3F&pc=MOZI&form=MOZLBR

One article states if you can smell it, it can kill. Off gassed from batteries very dangerous.

This is different from the small levels of hydrogen sulfide smell dissolved in water from Sulphur eating bacteria etc.

"Hydrogen sulfide is a gas that has the unmistakable odor of rotten eggs. It is produced from decomposing plant and animal tissue. At high concentrations in the air hydrogen sulfide is toxic, but it is usually just at nuisance levels in well water and does not cause health problems."

Source: https://www.bing.com/search?q=hydrogen+sulfide+gas+from+water&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=hydrogen+sulfide+gas+from+water&sc=1-31&sk=&cvid=C2A68DFFAA5842DCA4891CE55EC72441

 

Edited by RV_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Training with hazardous gas was part of my former work. Hydrogen Sulfide is poisonous and explosive. If the battery is producing Hydrogen Sulfide there is something wrong with the battery and/or charging system. A properly charging battery will produce small amounts of hydrogen gas. If the battery space is properly ventilated there is little danger of explosion, excpt at the cells. One strange thing about Hydrogen Sulfide is that in heavy concentrations we can not smell the odor. Then it kills. At the plant, if we could smell the odor, we were less worried than when the detector alarmed when we could not smell the gas.  Before you all start cursing, note the key words, "battery space is properly ventilated".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sehc said:

If the battery is producing Hydrogen Sulfide there is something wrong with the battery and/or charging system.

A very important point! And the incident of ours with the shorted cell did give us the odor so I have always figured that it was making H²S.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...