Fulltime Insurance - Budgeting

carnolddsm

Looking for a ballpark number for budgeting purposes.

If our insurance on our RV is $X today, what percentage increase (range) would one typically see when going fulltime? A 25% bump, 50% bump...?

I know not a lot of details, it depends... Just looking for a ballpark estimate.

Will you stay in the same state for residency when you go full-time? Different rates even between counties within a state. For us personally, our insurance went down when we changed from MI to SD. We now pay a lower rate for our motorcycle, jeep & motorhome than what we previously paid for just the motorhome in MI. We have our full-timers coverage with Progressive. They do give a discount if you also insure your vehicle with them.

Pat DeJong

0 increase. It won't change unless you are changing where you insure the RV.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

0 increase. It won't change unless you are changing where you insure the RV.

National General charges me $38 every 6 months for "Full Time" addition on my policy.

And they are a lot of Home, auto vehicle insurance company's that will not cover Full Time. If the OP has one of them.

The cost will change up/down from what he has now.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Our RV Insurance broker told us if we were out more than 159 days we are considered full time. I think all RV insurance companies cover full time, it is only when you assume that your auto or home policy will cover it that you run into trouble. I believe most of us have gone with the RV broker to get a good policy. Your auto/home doesn't have the same coverage.

Our RV Insurance broker told us if we were out more than 159 days we are considered full time. I think all RV insurance companies cover full time, it is only when you assume that your auto or home policy will cover it that you run into trouble. I believe most of us have gone with the RV broker to get a good policy. Your auto/home doesn't have the same coverage.

Not all companies offer fulltime liability policies.

Its impossible to guess. Other than domicile location there are other factors. Some companies may insure replacement value others only actual value. Also it depends in how much personal property you insure for. Some companies base it on the value of your RV. Others I include a certain amt and then you may have an option for a higher value. You may also have a rider for jewelry and firearms etc. You will only know by calling and getting quotes.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

With the information all of you have provided, I can ask a better question or questions:

1. How are you handling liability insurance? Currently we carry the standard homeowners plus an umbrella liability policy. I'm guessing this will be the biggest hit.

2. From the input received, it looks like the increase in insurance for the RV is minimal (non-material to the accounts).

The umbrella policy requires auto insurance liability coverage of $x, and homeowners liability coverage of $y. Off hand I believe the homeowners liability requirement is $250k. The RV policy on our 5th wheel has liability coverage for $25K. Just trying to estimate the cost of the additional liability coverage on the RV or is there another route?

Archived