Do you use Protein Powders to supplement your diet for more energy?

My question: Does anyone here supplement their diets with protein powders, protein shakes etc? If so what brand and why did you choose it?

I recently gave up my morning coffee after 40+ years. I had started slowly making it weaker then drinking less then went to caffeine free herbal teas for my morning hot drink. I miss the coffee flavor but I feel the caffeine was affecting my sleep and didn't want to go decaf. I do feel better but miss the energy from caffeine.

Popular thought is that with a well balanced diet you don't need supplements. I am the first to admit our diet is not balanced and with DH, a very finicky eater, probably never will be. A friend of mine uses a whey protein powder and seems like the energizer bunny with an abundance of energy so I started researching and found that active adults may not be getting enough protein. http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/protein-powder?page=1

I also found some powders can be very expensive, highly caloric and full of preservatives.

My DW has been using powder daily for a year. After research she found "Naked Whey". It is only pure protein, nothing else added. She orders online from Amazon, and has it shipped to us where ever. I have been making her a shake every morning for the last year, to start her day.

In a blender:

1/2 banana, cut small, added first

2-3 tablespoons of Laura Scudder's Old Fashioned Peanut Butter. (It is only peanuts, and less than 1% salt.) Stirred to mix,

then keep in refer.

2 scoops of Naked Whey, (scoop comes in the container)

1/3 cup of frozen blue berries, we try to find the 5# bag at Walmart

and about 1/2 cup of Almond milk

In that order, it does not blow the powder around the blender too much, blend for 30 seconds.

It works for her, with her digestive issues from long term side effects, and is helping to maintain her weight gain since ending recent round of chemo last year.

Dave and Dolly Cobb
Arlington TX

1998 Foretravel, U-295 36', rare mid-door
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, as a toad

On decaf, you might want to think about that again as there are options today that many have not heard of and that I'm comfortable with. The reason we are still drinking coffee is that you can get some pretty good coffee that is decaffeinated using the fairly new CO2 process that doesn't add anything toxic to the beans or hurt the flavor.

I started buying some from a place in New Jersey that I heard about while researching espresso machines. They offer two varieties that are in my opinion as good as regular coffee.

http://www.coffeebeandirect.com/

Unlike most of our decaf coffees, our CO2 Decaf Colombian beans are decaffeinated using a carbon dioxide process originally developed in Germany, as a natural alternative to the methylene chloride process that has become the industry standard.

So, how does CO2 decaffeination work? The coffee beans are steamed and then soaked in liquid carbon dioxide in a high pressure environment which effectively moves the caffeine from the beans into the carbon dioxide. The “caffeinated carbon dioxide” can then be run through a filter to remove the caffeine, so the carbon dioxide can be reused to decaffeinate more beans. Recycling at its best!

Columbian: http://www.coffeebeandirect.com/roasted-coffee/decaffeinated/co2-decaf-colombian.html

Espresso: http://www.coffeebeandirect.com/roasted-coffee/decaffeinated/co2-decaf-espresso.html

It is also available on Amazon, the Amazon bags are a bit older than ones ordered direct but are still well within the shelf life.

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004UOA23M/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

http://smile.amazon.com/Coffee-Bean-Direct-Colombian-5-Pound/dp/B002GWH8Y6/ref=sr_1_1_a_it

-------

On protein powders, I tried several and didn't care for them much as I couldn't see that they made any difference for my issues. The person that suggested (a professional nutritionist) I try some had very specific suggestions on things to look for and things to avoid and good reasons for each, which of course I can't recall now that I need them. I hope others here have some good information for you.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

My DW has been using powder daily for a year. After research she found "Naked Whey". It is only pure protein, nothing else added. She orders online from Amazon, and has it shipped to us where ever. I have been making her a shake every morning for the last year, to start her day.

In a blender:

1/2 banana, cut small, added first

2-3 tablespoons of Laura Scudder's Old Fashioned Peanut Butter. (It is only peanuts, and less than 1% salt.) Stirred to mix,

then keep in refer.

2 scoops of Naked Whey, (scoop comes in the container)

1/3 cup of frozen blue berries, we try to find the 5# bag at Walmart

and about 1/2 cup of Almond milk

In that order, it does not blow the powder around the blender too much, blend for 30 seconds.

It works for her, with her digestive issues from long term side effects, and is helping to maintain her weight gain since ending recent round of chemo last year.

Thank you for the brand name and the recipe.

On decaf, you might want to think about that again as there are options today that many have not heard of and that I'm comfortable with. The reason we are still drinking coffee is that you can get some pretty good coffee that is decaffeinated using the fairly new CO2 process that doesn't add anything toxic to the beans or hurt the flavor.

I started buying some from a place in New Jersey that I heard about while researching espresso machines. They offer two varieties that are in my opinion as good as regular coffee.

http://www.coffeebeandirect.com/

Columbian: http://www.coffeebeandirect.com/roasted-coffee/decaffeinated/co2-decaf-colombian.html

Espresso: http://www.coffeebeandirect.com/roasted-coffee/decaffeinated/co2-decaf-espresso.html

It is also available on Amazon, the Amazon bags are a bit older than ones ordered direct but are still well within the shelf life.

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004UOA23M/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

http://smile.amazon.com/Coffee-Bean-Direct-Colombian-5-Pound/dp/B002GWH8Y6/ref=sr_1_1_a_it

-------

On protein powders, I tried several and didn't care for them much as I couldn't see that they made any difference for my issues. The person that suggested (a professional nutritionist) I try some had very specific suggestions on things to look for and things to avoid and good reasons for each, which of course I can't recall now that I need them. I hope others here have some good information for you.

Thank you for the decaf web links, I will definitely have to rethink decaf coffee.

Stan "spilled the beans" about coffeebeandirect.

Best prices around and ship anywhere and no tax (if your state taxes food).

I buy 25 lbs at a time (5 5lb vacuum sealed bags) and shipping is free. If you don't drink that much might try splitting an order with others.

They also just started tattletea.com for the tea drinkers.

Yeah I drink a lot of coffee and not decaf.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

This is my favorite Decaf. It has great, great flavor and uses only water (no chemicals) to get the caffeine out. Good price, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Cafe-Don-Pablo-Decaffeinated-Medium-dark/dp/B00D5GGNRA/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1458275997&sr=1-1&keywords=pablo+decaf+coffee

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

JM, putting on my nurse hat here I think you reading too much into the WebMD article. Most americans get plenty of protein. In fact most get twice the amount they need. Remember, that the recommendation is only for three ounces of meat per serving. Very few people only eat three ounces per serving. We also have other sources of protein such as eggs, nuts, beans, whole grains.

Generally, protein is not going to give you more energy in the nature of a stimulant such as caffeine. Consumed proteins function to be broken down and for needed amino acids and muscle maintaenance and replacement. Excess protein is converted over to fat for storage or carbohydrate to be consumed for energy. Between protein, fat and carbohydrates, carbs provide the most direct energy. However the recommendation is that you eat balanced meals. The Recommended Daily Allowance of protein is .08 grams per Kilogram of weight. Translated this means that a 150lb person needs about 54 grams of protein per day. Protein adds up fast. For instance, 1 egg has 6 grams. 4 ounces of chicken has about 35 grams. One-half cup of navy, pinto, black or kidney beans offers between 7 and 8 grams of protein.

Protein supplements really come into play with serious weight lifters who target 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight per day or more. Whey is an excellent source of protein although nutritionists stress that it is best to get your calories and nutrients from whole foods where possible.

The other time when supplementation is important is when you are not getting you recommended nutrients from a regular diet or if you are recovering from illness or injury. Often older people can lose their appetite, ability to chew, swallow, etc and they begin to lose weight. Here liquid supplements are helpful as they can be nutrient dense in an easy to consume form. However, even here you will not typically find just whey protein recommended. While meal replacement drinks may contain significant protein they will also contain fat and carbohydrates.

Dave and Lana Hasper

This is my favorite Decaf. It has great, great flavor and uses only water (no chemicals) to get the caffeine out. Good price, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Cafe-Don-Pablo-Decaffeinated-Medium-dark/dp/B00D5GGNRA/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1458275997&sr=1-1&keywords=pablo+decaf+coffee

We tried a lot of brands of water process decaf and were never satisfied with the flavor compared to caffeinated. If you are trying to cut back your caffeine intake and can't find a water process brand you like give the CO2 process brands a look before you give up on coffee or limiting your caffeine intake.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

JM, putting on my nurse hat here I think you reading too much into the WebMD article. Most americans get plenty of protein. In fact most get twice the amount they need. Remember, that the recommendation is only for three ounces of meat per serving. Very few people only eat three ounces per serving. We also have other sources of protein such as eggs, nuts, beans, whole grains.

Generally, protein is not going to give you more energy in the nature of a stimulant such as caffeine. Consumed proteins function to be broken down and for needed amino acids and muscle maintaenance and replacement. Excess protein is converted over to fat for storage or carbohydrate to be consumed for energy. Between protein, fat and carbohydrates, carbs provide the most direct energy. However the recommendation is that you eat balanced meals. The Recommended Daily Allowance of protein is .08 grams per Kilogram of weight. Translated this means that a 150lb person needs about 54 grams of protein per day. Protein adds up fast. For instance, 1 egg has 6 grams. 4 ounces of chicken has about 35 grams. One-half cup of navy, pinto, black or kidney beans offers between 7 and 8 grams of protein.

Protein supplements really come into play with serious weight lifters who target 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight per day or more. Whey is an excellent source of protein although nutritionists stress that it is best to get your calories and nutrients from whole foods where possible.

The other time when supplementation is important is when you are not getting you recommended nutrients from a regular diet or if you are recovering from illness or injury. Often older people can lose their appetite, ability to chew, swallow, etc and they begin to lose weight. Here liquid supplements are helpful as they can be nutrient dense in an easy to consume form. However, even here you will not typically find just whey protein recommended. While meal replacement drinks may contain significant protein they will also contain fat and carbohydrates.

Thank you I appreciate the info.

I go for months and never see sun. I do take D2 vitamins. Also take a daily vitamin. I eat healthy and am 60. Work 7 nights a week 10 hour shifts, some jobs 12 hour shifts. Have right much energy. Don't so any "energy drinks" or such.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I don't know if it's Dave or Lana that's the nurse, but as a retired Army nurse, I was trying to figure out how to respond to this thread and you did a far better job than I would/could have. Thank you! This response should be the gold standard for this topic.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

• 4 years later...
2 hours ago, Amy Cooper said:

I think you have a misconception. protein powder does not give you any energy. It is used as a supplement in bodybuilding to gain muscle. 

Hmmm... I'm a retired RN. In all of our biology and nutrition classes, we were taught that protein provides 4 calories per gram - regardless of the source. On what are you basing your comment? You're also commenting on a thread that's 4-1/2 years old without referencing to whom your comment is directed.

Rob

Edited by Second Chance

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg