Florida Domicile Texas Mail - What do choose

Wow! We are almost there. 7 weeks to go before FT! We've read a ton of articles and posts about domicile options and steps, the Escapees articles have been great. We have decided to actual domicile in Bushnell Florida and that will be our first stop after retiring. We will be using Escapees for the mail service and have the Texas 'main' mail address and the Florida 'legal' address. I know that vehicle registrations need to have the Florida (vs. Texas Escapee general mail address). For tax and domicle purposes should all income type addresses also be Florida (i.e. Social Security, Annuities, retirement checks)? What have you done?

Thanks!

Almost there... i apologize if this has already been answered - but I couldn't find it doing a search.

Trippin' Jeff @ RVBuiltForTwo

• 3 weeks later...

Since nobody has yet responded, I'll try to help even though we don't use the FL side of the service. I would use the FL address for SS, although it probably isn't critical since money from them should be done by direct deposit and it really doesn't matter which place your occasional mailings go. That same thing is true for the IRS. Since neither FL or TX have any state income tax, they really don't care which place you actually are but it might be cleaner to use FL.

The primary things which are important for the FL address are driving license, vehicle registration, and all types of insurance.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Your Florida address will only be used for state-specific documents such as voter and vehicle registration and driver's license. The Texas address should be used for everything else, including banking and social security. See the last page of this document. You also might want to give the mail service in Texas a call to confirm.

https://escapees.com/images/pdfs/303W-Mail-Service-Agreement-Florida_0115.pdf

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Why not use a Fla. address for everything. There is a mail company called St. Brendans Isle out of Green Cove Springs, Fla. that can provide you with excellent mail service including a valid Fla. address for all the other legal issues. Check them out.

https://www.sbimailservice.com/

Gary & Penny

2015 Lance 1172

2005 Chevy 3500

2013 Bass Tracker 190 Pro Team

Thanks for all the replies. We're going to stick with the Escapees mail service, and all of our addresses that may have tax consequences will have the Florida address on the advice of our financial consultant. To be consistent, I'll have SS as Florida too. I don't want any questions about which state is our actual domicile. EVERYTHING will be electronic - so very little actual mail should be sent to the Florida address. We also have a vacation cabin in a high-tax state, so I don't want any chance that they will go after us for income taxes.

Thanks again... 4 1/2 weeks to go!

Jeff @ RVBuiltForTwo.com

We never got a good answer on that either, but on the advice of my healthplan all medical insurance related materials go to Bushnell. That then ties all my ex employer information to Bushnell also. To be consistant S/S goes there and that ties in Medicare. Other than the expense ( a few dollars) it has not been an issue.

John

Your Florida address will only be used for state-specific documents such as voter and vehicle registration and driver's license. The Texas address should be used for everything else, including banking and social security. See the last page of this document. You also might want to give the mail service in Texas a call to confirm.

https://escapees.com/images/pdfs/303W-Mail-Service-Agreement-Florida_0115.pdf

When we went thru the process last week in Bushnell, they (State of Florida) used the Livingston mailing fordwarding address for almost everthing (except the drivers license!) I guess they are used to people with mailing addresses; even out of state.

So vehicle registration reminder would go to mail forwarder directly, not thru Bushnell. Only time wll tell what mail will use the Bushnell address.

We are wondering who else to give the Florida address to. For new healthcare.gov coverage we used the Bushnell zip code, but still have the Livingston address in our profile; [Live in state is Florida.] So when Florida Blue Cross Blue Shield response to our request, it will be interesting to see what address they got from HelathCare.gov.

For our few 1099s, I will have to ask each about the new address, but at least tell them the state that the reporting should show on the 1099.

Who else needs to know the Florida address? Should I file a 8822 with IRS?

• 4 weeks later...

We'll head down to Bushnell next week to register all our paperwork. We're using the FL address for all banking, legal and tax documents, etc. We need the FL address for insurance purposes, including private health insurance. FL BLUE actually has some good PPOs in Sumter county. We are also using estate and business lawyers there. We want to make it clear that FL is our domicile. We'll use TX for mail forwarding, but most of our mail is electronic anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy,

We need the FL address for insurance purposes, including private health insurance. FL BLUE actually has some good PPOs in Sumter county

Interesting, can you tell us whether this was on of off the exchange? We may end up going that way ourselves...

Cheers,

--

Vall & Mo.

Getting ready to join the RV full-time lifestyle in 2017!

• 5 months later...

I'm reviving this old thread to ask: How well does the Escapees' Florida "domicile" Texas mail address work, in reality?

I've had my Livingston mail address for 10 years, but it looks like it might be time to change to Florida. The "two address" set-up is giving me pause.

Perhaps someone who is using this system could report on his/her experience? In particular, have you found that it is OK just to have state documents (vehicle registration, voter registration, driver's license, insurance) with the FL address and everything else (banks, IRS) with the Texas address? Or have you needed, for example, to establish a FL bank account or other "roots" in Sumter county?

Thanks!

Just make your life simple. Get a FL address sush as Saint Brendan's Isle (SBI) and let it go at that. One address for everything. Then every three or four weeks you have it shipped to wherever your at. You can view what mail you have received on line, they scan the envelope. Then decide what you want to do with it; shred it, hold for later shipmet, ship now, or open and scan contents (additional fee).

As I understand the FL Escapees postal service is that they cannot send mail delivered to the FL address directly to where you are currently at. The first have to ship it to the Texas service and then the Texas service can ship it to your current location.

Escapees Mail Fowarding has three prices: $95/year (which we used for 16 years); $115/year and $135/year

Saint Brendan Mail Forwarding has three prices: $144/year; $168/year; $360/year

Both have scanning service which is extra.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We've also been looking at this, as we are "moving" to Florida as of the 1st of the year. We considered Escapee's mail service in Bushnell, as well as St. Brendon's Isle in Green Cove Springs, and the Passport America mail service in Crestview, MyRVmail.com. After looking at health insurance costs (we are under 65, so not eligible for Medicare yet), vehicle insurance, and mail service costs, it looks like our choice for domicile is going to be the Passport America service. Vehicle insurance costs are a little higher there, but more than offset by lower healthcare insurance premiums. (The same basic health plans are available in the three areas, so we were able to compare apples to apples on the cost of those). Since we want the online scanning service for mail, the costs for our typical mail volumes won't be much different between the 3 services. My biggest question now is how friendly the Okaloosa county officials are toward issuing drivers licenses, vehicle plates and voter registrations to people who are using the Passport America office address as a domicile.

Mike and Retha Hopkins

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G

My biggest question now is how friendly the Okaloosa county officials are toward issuing drivers licenses, vehicle plates and voter registrations to people who are using the Passport America office address as a domicile.

Maybe the PA office would have an answer to that question .

They likely deal with it regularly .

Goes around , comes around .

Archived