New Tires for Motor Home--Sumitomo, Goodyear, Toyo?

It's time for new tires on our motor home. I have Goodyears now, but salesmen are pushing Sumitomos for a hundred or so less per tire. They claim it is a big tire manufacturer, and a good tire. There is no government rating to compare. Does anyone have experience with Sumitomos? Is it a good tire? What about Toyo tires?

Also, I am looking at buying at Big O Tires, because there seems to be more of them across the country than any other dealer. See any problem with them? (We are in Phoenix now.)

Thanks,

John Parker

John & Connie Parker
2001 Ford Bounder 33' Motorhome
2016 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 towed
Lifetime Members SKP #96350

We've always had Toyo tires, they were OEM on Alpines. We will replace front this summer, in Oregon so no sales tax. We always get ours at Les Scwab Tires, usually in Sutherlin, OR, where the Escapees CoOp is located. Always less tha 3 months old.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

You might want to look at Hankook tires. Know several with them on their motorhomes and their tow trucks. I have the G rated Hankook trailer tires on my 3 axle 5er.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Our 2012 Hitch Hiker came with Sumitomo tires. We lost the tread on one at 17000 miles. I am anal about my tires check inflation each week etc. There are a lot of complaints about the Sumitomo tires on the HH site, and most owners are moving away from them. I know they can be less than some other brands, but I will never have them again on any thing I drive or tow.

As much as I try to rationalize it differently - there's a lot of fundamental truth in the adage that "you get what you pay for". While I don't relish the idea of needlessly overspending ... there are simply some purchases where trying to save a few bucks can be penny wise and nickel foolish. I've always felt that tires are one of those purchases. I simply have too much riding on 'em (the huge investment that my coach represents ... the lives of my wife and I). When it's time to replace mine (8 295/80R22.5 Load Range H tires) - my purchase decision will be drive by quality first ... with cost a distance second.

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

Thanks for the great info.

Barb: Les Schwab only has stores in the Northwest. Also, in my experience, most of them won't do motor homes. I am looking at Big O, because I could probably find one near just about anywhere in the USA, if I have a problem with their tires. Maybe Toyos?

Ken: I put Hancooks on my car a few times. They had a 70,000 mile warranty, but I the salesman was honest enough to warn me that I wouldn't get near that. In fact, I got less than 30,000. Twice. I did not like feeling obligated to buy them again to get my prorated warranty.

Bobi Ruby and Dick McKee: Thanks for the good info. Looks like they might be trouble.

Spaceman Norman: I agree how important tires are. But just because something is more expensive, doesn't mean it is better quality. Sometimes, you are just paying for heavy marketing and a name. That is what I am trying to find out. But if I don't get a good answer, I will pay the extra money to be safe like you suggest.

John

John & Connie Parker

I ran Goodyear, G670 tires on our motorhome, but I've not had it now for 3 years so am not really current on what is best. My only thought is that tries are not a good place to save money unless you can still get the best, most safe tries while going that way.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yes, Les Schwab does Motorhomes - like I said we have replaced ours at different ones throughout the Northwest. Maybe some small franchises don't, but everyone we've seen do, especially in areas with lots of logging trucks, etc. I mention Oregon because of no sales tax, which for the big tires can be a nice chunk of change.

Toyo tires are MDT/HDT tires, not 'RV' tires. But we get very good ride and very good wear on them. Change at 7 years.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

If you are looking for a lower cost option look at Sailun. They are made in China but I have seen a lot of positive comments on them. I had Summitomos on my trailer when new, blew one, had another with tread separation. I bought Goodyear G114s but intend to buy Sailuns next time around unless the good reports change.

We also run the Toyos (MDT not RV) and have been well pleased with them. For us they are the only real option because of our rear axle weight running SRW. (We converted from dual to single)

We run the M608Z which is a pretty heavily lugged tire, so getting a good balance from a place that knew how to balance truck tires was critical, and we also run the balance beads.

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

If your Good Years don't have 10 years on them. It is too early to replace them.

The G670's do cost more to buy. But if you average their per year cost out over 10 years of use. And average the cheaper tires at 7 years.

The G670's will come out at a better value. Don't forget they come with a 7 year warranty on crack sidewalls.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

If you are an FMCA member, you might want to check Michelin prices with the FMCA discount program just in case. Also make sure you are getting the same load rating as your old tires, something some tire dealers miss.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

You might check two things:

1) TCI Tire Centers, affiliated with Michelin, has experienced staff in about 150 locations across the US.

2) FMCA has the Michelin Tire Program, that provides good savings on the costs.

Note: This Michelin Tire Program, also includes the BF Goodrich line too (Owned by Michelin.) We're having the last 6 of our 8 tires

replaced at TCI with the BF Goodrich ST230 tire in early April. We have 12R 22.5, so not as many tire model choices as other sizes.

We had run the last 6 years with Michelin XZE*, and have always felt the reformed well. The "*" means they had a bit more meat

on the sidewalls, which handled a little more abuse on these rougher roads of today. And survived kissing corners a better (not that

I try to kiss a curb, but it has happened a few times:)!

The BF Goodrich was on my short list when I bought our current set, and we picked up two in June (Pot hole got is good....), during the Michelin tire shortage of 2015. Have them on the steers, and very pleased with their performance. And as a bonus, the Michelin tire comparison site, shows these to be more fuel/rolling efficient then the Michelin XZE*'s we're replacing. Doubt we'll see any noticeable improvement, but heck, an improvement is an improvement.

We also considered Toyo, Bridgestone and Continental tires. And continue tor head good things about Hankook's (Believe it as the AH12?). But for just a bit more per tire, with the FMCA Tire Program, we can get the BF Goodrich ST230's. And that way all the ties will match if I ever want to rotate tags to steer for example.

Best to luck to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I asked this question about 6 months ago. After reading the replies I decided to buy Sailun truck tires when time to replace my present tires.

Many big O tire stores are only equipped to handle automobile tires. Once took my dually pickup to one, and no-one knew how to remove the inner dual tires. I told them to put things back as they were, and left.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I asked this question about 6 months ago. After reading the replies I decided to buy Sailun truck tires when time to replace my present tires.

Many big O tire stores are only equipped to handle automobile tires. Once took my dually pickup to one, and no-one knew how to remove the inner dual tires. I told them to put things back as they were, and left.

Yes, same thing here. For some reason MDT seems to fall in a hole between automobile and big rig type tires and not a lot of shops really know what to do with them (despite what they may tell you).

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

Our truck came to us with Toyo's on it. They were 12 years old and were in good shape. They had 65-70000 miles on them with very even tread wear. We replaced the due to the age and 1 belt that slipped. When they were removed, the insides looked great, no dryrot or issues.

If they had been available in the area we were in, I would have gone back with them.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Thanks everyone for your advice. We bought some tires, and I would like to share what I did, in case it helps someone else in the future.

I found out that the Sumitomo ST718 has a speed rating of only 65 mph!!! The other truck tires I have looked at have a 75 mph speed rating. I drive 65 mph sometimes if the road is smooth, and may even exceed that passing someone. It can't be a very good tires if it is rated at the common speed limit, and 10 mph below most of the other truck tires.

Also, I found out that Sumitomo owns Big O and the related companies Tire King, Merchants, and TBN. That must have had something to do with them pushing the Sumitomo tires, even though I was asking about Goodyears.

I should say that I don't want the specific RV tires, the Goodyear G670 and the Michelin XRV, because they look overpriced to me. I have heard that there are two differences in them, (1) more UV protection for the sidewalls, and (2) they have less tread for a better ride, but at a trade-off of less mileage. We have been wearing out our tires at 5 years, and not aging them out. I don't see any UV damage on them, and we need all of the mileage we can get. Our rig rides pretty rough already, and the highways I have been driving are rough too. I don't think I would even notice a smoother ride.

Our last set of tires was Goodyear G149's, a truck tire. We were happy with them. They lasted 5 years and 43,000 miles, and probably have a little more in them if I wanted. So, I was looking at the new version, Goodyear G647.

A saleman suggest that we look at Dunlop SP348's instead. It is also made by Goodyear, and has the same Goodyear warranty. And they are about $80 less per tire. Also, they have a less aggressive tread than the G647s, which I don't think we need. So we got the Dunlop SP 348's.

I had called Goodyear national with some tough questions, and they transfered me to their Phoenix "Goodyear Commerical Tire & Service Center." The guy had good answers to my questions, and they specialize in trucks. Price was the same, so got the tires from them.

I hope this helps anyone else.

John

John & Connie Parker

ABG: Anything but Goodyear. If you have a problem with rivering ( most likely) they will deny any coverage. The G670's do not have a longer warranty nor do they last longer than any other major mfr. 10 years is far too long. Many GY's will blow up long before 10 years. There are many good choices and most have been mentioned in this thread.

John, a side note. Michelin does not make a motorhome specific tire, they are regular truck tires approved by Michelin for MH use. Goodyear, best of my knowledge, is the only motorhome specific tire sold.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Ray, I don't know what you mean. The Michellin XRV has RV in the name. The advertising says, "All-position radial designed specifically for exceptional performance on recreational vehicles and motor homes in coach applications."

John & Connie Parker

Apparently I'm wrong. The XRV never appeared in any search engine I used because it is not made in my size. I'll never consider them because of the absurd pricing. Even simpletire.com, who has the lowest pricing I've found, advertises them for $518 ea., for that one size, out of 3 sizes for diesel pushers.

Archived