How much car can I tow?

hard2find

I am shopping for a 30-35ft class A motor home. Plan on going full time.My question is I am driving a 2011 Ford Fusion, is this too much car? Should I get something smaller? Ten years ago we had a 1994 30ft Brave & pulled a Toyota with no problems at all. We were not ready to go full time & my wife's 5 kids all wanted to use it,so I sold it. Sorry I sold it but knew it would not last long in other's hands. I have learned a lot from this group & look forward the road ahead. Thank you & Happy Motoring.George Lewis Charlotte NC

First, welcome to the Escapee forums. We are happy to have you here.

Each motorhome will have on the inside a plate or decal that lists a series of weight limitations. Among those will be a GCWR which is the gross combined weight rating, meaning the very most weight the drive-train is designed to move, meaning the total weight of the RV, and anything that it is towing. There will also be a maximum towing weight, being the maximum that you should ever tow. You need to know both of those in order to know what you can safely tow with any motorhome. Those weights vary from one chassis and model to the next and from one RV builder to the next. It is impossible to say what can be towed without know what motorhome you tow with. Most of them would probably be able to tow the Fusion.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If I may add to Kirks excellent advice; how much weight you can safely tow(GCWR Kirk referenced) depends entirely upon how much your proposed MH actually weighs when you have it fully-loaded and ready to depart for your trip - AND the maximum towing capacity of the actual hitch on the MH.

I have a cousin who ignored that. It cost him 1 engine and 3 transmissions in about 7 years.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thank you both, When I bought the Brave it came with the Toyota,trailler & full inventory of supplies.So I never thought about their being a problem. I guess I was lucky drove to Fl,twice & then took a 60 leave & the wife & i went to CA & had a wonder full travel experience. Now we are ready to go full time, I just need to find the right unit & do this the right way.We don't have a lot of money so can not afford to make many mistakes. I will keep you informed as we go.I am sure I will be looking for more advise. We have a house to sell & lots of stuff to get rid of.

Happy Motoring

George

Keep in mind that living in an RV full-time is far more stress on the RV than is vacation & weekend living. Your Brave probably got used somewhere between 30 & 90 days per year, while you are now looking to use the next one 365 days per year. In addition you will be carrying everything with you, where previously you only took seasonal needs. Fulltime RV use is very different from typical use.

EDIT: corrected typo

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Your MH will have a 5K towing rate, IF your Ford Fusion can be towed 4 down (look in the owners manual)

it is fine, my Dakota truck weights in at 4K and tows just fine.

You will spend between $3K to $5K for a base plate, folding tow bar and a brake controller installed.

Mine cost about $3100. Camping World had the highest price even with my Good Sam membership.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

• 2 weeks later...

Hard2find

I to am looking at the same situation!

Most have a towing capacity of 4000 to 5000 lbs.

But I have a 2006 kia optima with a towing capacity of 2000 lbs and the new ones tell you not to tow anything with an automatic transmission.

I have pulled 3000 with the kia without an issue.

Towing depends on how you drive.

A light foot will tow something forever!

If you want to keep up with the big boys buy heavy duty!

Hard2find

I to am looking at the same situation!

Most have a towing capacity of 4000 to 5000 lbs.

But I have a 2006 kia optima with a towing capacity of 2000 lbs and the new ones tell you not to tow anything with an automatic transmission.

I have pulled 3000 with the kia without an issue.

Towing depends on how you drive.

A light foot will tow something forever!

If you want to keep up with the big boys buy heavy duty!

The OP is talking about towing the car behind the motor home not towing with the car.

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

Archived