Need advice on tow package for 2016 Jeep Patriot behind Bounder 33C

Backpacker

I just purchased the Bounder and the Jeep and need help finding the right tow package. My biggest concern is whether I need an auxiliary brake system for the Jeep, which is about 3200 lbs. Do I need an auxiliary brake system?

I was leaning toward Roadmaster's invisibrake but in searching the IRv2 forum saw repeated accounts where a short due to improperly designed wiring cause the tow cars brakes to lock and ruined both tires and breaks on the tow car.

I am getting ready to tour the western US and Canada full time and have two decisions to make. Should I select a Roadmaster or a Blue Ox tow package? Do I need a auxiliary braking system installed in the Jeep?

Please share your thoughts.

Is the Bounder a gasser or diesel? If Gas, you really do want aux brakes, especially in the mountains. Even entry diesels can use some braking assistance.The law in most states says that you must have auxiliary brakes. You may can get away with not having them, but if you get into an accident, a lawyer could have a field day with you. I like Blue Ox. I assume that your Patriot is a manual transmission, as the automatic is not listed as towable 4 down.

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Roscoe and Maggie - Rescue Beagles

"I asked God to send us a True Friend. He sent us a Beagle!"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Either tow equipment will serve you well as those are the two top rated tow-bars. I used the Blue Ox and prefer it because it has removable connecting points and so nothing shows when you are not towing. But the differences are small enough that I might first check to see which one will give me the better price.

On auxiliary brake systems, it just depends upon how you define the term need. The simple fact is that no matter what you tow or what you tow with, in an emergency the added weight of the towed car means a longer stopping distance with a vehicle that already has a pretty long one. If you should have a child dart out in front of you, how important is it to have more ability to stop? And if that is not reason enough, consider what would happen if the car you are towing should happen to come loose from the tow-bar. Since safety chains or cables are designed to keep the now free car from going into traffic, if you have no brake on the car what will happen is that the rear of your motorhome will stop the car when the front of the car makes contact with it. The amount of damage to each that will result will depend upon your speed and the circumstances. In any situation, the result will probably not be a pleasant one.

On the other hand, if you use an auxiliary brake system that has a break away switch (as nearly all do) and that break away is properly connected, when the car comes loose the towing motorhome will cause the car to reach the limit of the safety cables and the break away switch will be tripped before the car hits the end of those safety cables and that will set up the car's brakes to keep the car there as the motorhome comes to a stop. Since the car normally has better braking than the motorhome, it won't normally hit the back of the motorhome. Break away is one of the main reasons that I would never tow without one.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived