LiFEPo4 Battery sitting outside for several months NOT hooked up = me freaking out about self discharge and a possible 800lb. expensive brick!

recent newb

Hey Guys,

attached are some close up pix of the BMS from inside the black box, the sensors, and the silver box with holes in it.

https://pix.sfly.com/pq1yNC

attached is also the map of readings. The organized blocks looking one is the bottom level, and the jigsaw puzzle looking one is the top level.

my multimeter read the bank total as 52.4v.

Listed out the readings are:

Top:

Bottom:

thanks.

What a poor/crappy potting job. The only reason for that is to obliterate the original. It provides nothing.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

What a poor/crappy potting job. The only reason for that is to obliterate the original. It provides nothing.

I agree. My theory is that Balqon didn't want to identify the components because it would make it easier for folks to buy the components and build battery packs themselves.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

My plan is to do that next year after watching this thread, reading your posts and watching David work on his. That is provided the funds are there. The most expensive part will be the battery. I will start my own thread when I begin so anyone interested can follow along. We need a solar section on this forum since so many are now experimenting with it.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Ron, I can see you messing around with a used Volt battery such as David Dixon is working on. It looks like it could be the best bang for your buck.

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

That is the plan. It will be 12 volts though. Don't want a huge investment of new equipment. I will probably have enough for 2 rigs. We will see. I won't buy the battery in Ca though. Too much taxes. Oregon is tax free.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

The concern is that the buitl in balance and monitoring system drains some cells more than others.

There's a GM publication on their lithium ion batteries that cites battery monitoring circuitry as the biggest source of cell imbalance! Quality cells properly connected shouldn't be getting out of balance. Even if they do, as long as an individual cell isn't taking above or below safe limits, it isn't problematic.

As far as self discharge, you shouldn't need to be too worried. While I'm not dealing with LFP batteries, my lithium ion packs sat in a junk yard for some time prior to purchase, and most of the pack didn't see a charger for 6 months. Even with 6 months of storage, cell voltages (which for these cells also indicates SOC) were within 0.1V of where they started for the 48V module (I'd started at 42.3V on each of the 8 modules, after 6 months all were either 42.3 or 42.2).

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Archived