Sign in to follow this  
MLC

Is 38 ft to long to bumper pull?

Been 10 years since we pulled a bumper hitch and it was a 26 ft camper and don't remember the overall length. We are looking at a 33' camper with overall length of 38', It is a tri axle as opposed to the tandem we had on the 26'. Has anyone pulled a trailer this long and how much difference was there from a smaller trailer? Several friends have told me to stay away from the tag and go to the fifth wheel, but with about a $20,000 price difference the bumper pull has its attractions. The bumper will weigh around 12,000lbs loaded as the 5th wheel will be 14,000 loaded. The fifth will also be about a foot taller for increased wind resistance. The tow truck is a ford 350 single rear wheel.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a tri-axle trailer. We had a 35' tri-axle Avion bumper pull and it pulled great. Our current 40' 5er is a tri-axle and it pulls great. I think the three axle pull straighter than a two axle bumper pull.

the tri-axle Avion was pulled using a Reese Dual Cam. I would suggest nothing less than a 3/4 ton truck, provided it has the payload capacity to handle the 1200# plus tongue weight of a 12,000# trailer.

So if the bumper pull suits your needs and you have enough truck and a good hitch set up (Reese Dual Cam or better), there is nothing wrong with the choice.

Ken

I'll find out soon enough.  We just bought an Outback 330RL, 37'10" hitch to tail lights.  My tow vehicle is a 2006 GMC Duramax 2500HD.

I have a Roughneck tandem axle fulltime trailer that is somewheres around 32-34 ft, 10 to 11,000 loaded and fairly tall. I haul it with a Dodge won ton single wheel quad cab 8ft box.  First miles on I15 in the west I was unhappy with the gentle "zig-zag-zig" from the bow wave when a class 8 or a bus would pass doing 80mph in road gear on the downgrades.  I shopped the Craigs Lists and found a used Propride hitch.  "Zig-zag-zig" has been replaced by a single gentle push that is no longer an issue when large vehicles go steaming by.  The rig runs like on rails now. 

Your 3 axle should be better with a longer axle group resisting the weather vane effect.  But should it bug you there is a solution. 

The only suprise with the Propride is the first time I descended a canyon road in CA, about 12% down grade 10mph hair pin - if you don't trail brake with the trailer, and let your whole rig coast gently with the drive wheels engine braking, the hitch will swing to the end of it's travel with a crash... a quick mirror check confirmed the trailer had not fallen off so a little trailer brake was used on the next couple hairpins to keep a tug on the truck. Smoothness. 

Oh and if you use a jerk a matic trailer brake control vs a proportional control, beware the braking on good traction. A 3 axle trailer will chuck your coffee right on the floor. :)

Edited by noteven