coachmac9

Advice on Alaska Cruise needed!

Well Swing. If you decide to drive out Get your own book, one provided by RV dealer had missing pages and really dog eared. It is well worth the money. Ours is filled with all the place and people we met. Added incentive they stored our RV for 22 days at no charge. Also mention you have your own RV, they up graded us to the 30 footer

post-6798-0-32728600-1455975905_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the small ship info. We took Cruise West some years ago and were very impressed. Thought we were out of .luck if we were to go again and we'd have to do the ferry to come close to that type of experience. Good to know there is an alternative.

We took a Holland America cruise on the Rotterdam in 2010 for 7 days in the Inside Passage. We had done the interior in 2006 in our RV.Was my first cruise so agent recommended smaller ship. What a great suggestion. Ship only had about 1300 people, including staff. We are not party people. AK was what we were there to see. Chose a cabin on deck at water level. Still had a picture window on the walk around deck. It was a wonderful peaceful cruise. There were hardly any children, so nice & quiet with either open dining or set dining. We did open dining or the regular daily buffet restaurant with windows opening to great views. Several land and sea excursions were offered. Plus this ship went where the bigger ones cannot. For example, at Glacier Bay, we were only a quarter of a mile from the face of Hubbard Glacier. We also did Skagway, where big ships can't go and the town was loaded with history.

You didn't say how you were going to start your cruise. We had the best advise from our agent (no cost involved). We got a site at the SKP park there in Port Townsend for a month so we could get on a regular site. The park will let you be away for 7 days, other wise you have to park your RV in storage. We took the ferry over to Seattle, parked the truck in the secure parking lot, and walked right onto the ship. Did the same thing coming back. Just walked off the ship, picked up the truck, got on the ferry and returned to the SKP park. Simple and easy. No getting off a plane, waiting for luggage, then shuttle to the ship and transferring luggage that may not even get to your ship room until many hours after you are in the room. Then the same hassle when the ship returns. The way we did it was so easy and stress free.

It was a wonderful experience and the total cost for the 7 day cruise, including the parking lot for the truck, plus any drinks to our room, etc., was only $2200.00 for the entire trip. I am sure prices are a little higher now, but still reasonable. Which ever way you decide to do it, you will have a wonderful time.

Edited by Carol A

We did much as Trucken but with Princess Land and Sea and we went in the end of July, start of August. It was a great trip, service was excellent, our tours were mostly great with only one that was so-so and the services of the cruise people were just amazing. We flew into Fairbanks and were met at the plane by Princess folks and from that point on we never managed a suitcase, went to a desk to check in, nor any of the little time wasting things usually associated with travel. Each morning of a travel day we tagged our suitcases before leaving for breakfast and when we would arrive at our next stop (on the land tour) we were given our room key as we departed the train or bus and our bags were in the room when we walked in. We also took a cabin with a small balcony, which I believe is a must for an Alaskan cruise as much of the tour is seen from your ship.

We took an all day trip into Denali NP and ours was nothing short of spectacular. But with any wildlife tour there is always the possibility that the animals will not be cooperative so it is important to keep that in mind. Friends with us took the half day trip and saw very little as most of the larger animals were farther in than the half day trip went.

This sounds like the cruise we are taking this next summer. I have added a 2 day stop on the way home at Victoria BC but other than that sounds the same. Oh the room is mid ship with balcony.

What type cruise are you looking for? If it is an adventure type cruise that there is none better than National Geographic. The company that handles these is Lindblad Expeditions. These are on much much smaller boats of around 80-90 passengers and go into places inaccessible to larger boats. These are nature based cruises that do not stop and large ports for shopping. It is very informal where Blue Jeans and boots are the dress of the day. Cabins are comfortable but not fancy and most all have direct access to the outside decks.

We have been on four of these including the Alaska inner passage and highly recommend

Selah, I am the type that would love the smaller ship, National Geographic type cruise, without a doubt! BUT, my wife would not be comfortable with the wave action of the smaller boat. She is very prone to sea sickness so that is out. I think the land/sea type of cruise on the large ship would help tremendously with the sea sickness and the inland excursions would satisfy, to a small extent, my wanting to explore and get off the stinking boat for a while.

Trucken, thanks for the tip on the book. I just ordered one from Amazon to help plan our next trip to Alaska which will be in the RV and will take us all summer...that's what I am definitely looking forward to doing!!!!

Well Swing.

Now you have become your own guide to memories not provided by a tour guide. Now there's a post with links to Alaska trips in 2015/14 seems like most everyone is out by the end of August, and that is what most of the locals told me too.

How many people have landed at Seward and not know it was named after the fellow that convince congress to buy Alaska. Not important unless your on Jeopardy.

Dall Sheep and little town just North of Denali (Healy), where named after William Healy Dall. The first to survey for a telegraph line over to Russia in 1865. Seventy seven years later became part of the Alaska Highway. Thanks Bill

Take a good pair of binoculars for the cruise and for pull outs provided by the Milepost. Patience looking you will find Grizzles, Elk, Caribou and other critters. Avoid the ones on the road.

Bring back memories, there will be many.

Trucken

Thanks Trucken! Got the book Saturday and it is incredible!!! The hard part is going to be waiting to go...but at least with the Milepost book we can plan and dream!!!

We did an Alaskan cruise with Princess for our 35th anniversary. Had a great time. Our trip was about 9 days with a combination of the cruise and land tour. The land tour left us with better memories than the sea portion of the trip.

Be sure to look into 1/2 the trip being on land. We did Denali and several stops inland on the way up and cruised back. Personally, I loved seeing Denali, moose, wonderful forests and the animals as much as the cruise. We took a large Holland ship and never felt crowded or regimented. I would never knock the big ships...they are totally what you want to make of it. Just make sure you see part of what the RVers see...and that is on land.