10KW generator

We have this generator in our coach and lately we are experiencing a voltage spike. The generator run great, when first started the transfer switch kicks in and the voltage is showing 121 volts via a digital voltmeter plugged into a wall receptacle. After about 5 minutes it jumps to 133 at which time my Transfer with built in surge protection kicks out. About 2 minutes later it goes through the same thing. The TS was replaced in DEC and really has not had any large loads on it. We are boon docking at the present time and use the generator to run the coffee maker and a griddle to make breakfast, with some TV time. I have checked all the wires at the TS and all are tight. There are no qualified tech in the area that will work on this generator and we are about 130 miles from the closest one. Any suggestion as to what the problem is would be appreciated.

Ron
US Army retired
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2016 Ford F150 XLT

It is an Onan.

Yarome, my TS has surge protection built into it the way I understand it. I don't know if this is for shore power and generator power or just shore power.

One think I forgot to mention in the original post is, that I have a Honda 2000 I plug the coach into and it does fine with it.

The Model is 10HDKCA11506C

325 hours on meeter

Gen is in a 2010 Class A

There is no change in motor RPM's when this occurs.

Ron
US Army retired
2016 Ford F150 XLT

Are you getting any error codes? I too suspect the control circuitry. Onan uses a combination voltage/frequency control system and you would need a frequency meeter to be sure about the frequency. The change would be gradual, as the voltage rises and it would only be a few Hz in change, perhaps up to 65 Hz.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Are you getting any error codes? I too suspect the control circuitry. Onan uses a combination voltage/frequency control system and you would need a frequency meeter to be sure about the frequency. The change would be gradual, as the voltage rises and it would only be a few Hz in change, perhaps up to 65 Hz.

Kirk, no error codes.

Ron
US Army retired
2016 Ford F150 XLT

Yarome, my TS has surge protection built into it the way I understand it. I don't know if this is for shore power and generator power or just shore power.

One think I forgot to mention in the original post is, that I have a Honda 2000 I plug the coach into and it does fine with it.

There is no change in motor RPM's when this occurs.

Your TS's surge protection doesn't differentiate source.. only current.. and is acting as it should during an over-voltage situation.

The fact that your Honda isn't tripping your TS and there is no RPM change during the voltage increase further indicates that is it more than likely an issue with your Onan's current regulator/circuitry vs. a mechanical (governor) issue.

It's been awhile since I've had my hands under the hood of an Onan, but the VR controller IS user replaceable if you feel comfortable doing that sort of thing. Most are not terribly expensive ($200-$350 new), but I'm not entirely sure which board your HDK uses.

There 'might' be something else going on, but not being there, and just from what you've said.. the VR would seem to be the likely culprit. I would, of course, ensure all connections have been cleaned and tested before doing a board change out.

Yarome, Best I can determine the VR is the problem. Mine is a combo control board and voltage regulator 300-5961, $744.89 shipping

included.

Yikes! I didn't realize you had the combined module. It's probably a dumb question, but you did try doing a voltage adjustment via the control panel right (pressing start 6 times to enter adjustments)? Checked and cleaned the harness connector and made sure non of the blade pins are bent or oxidized? Switched the line circuit breaker to "off" and did a voltage test?

It isn't uncommon not to get an error code since Onan doesn't generally produce one unless the over voltage exceeds 150vac while your TS appears to be tripping far below that.

That's a'lotta bones I wouldn't want to dig up unless every other possibility had been exhausted. It's an older genset, but it has so few hours on it.

Yikes! I didn't realize you had the combined module. It's probably a dumb question, but you did try doing a voltage adjustment via the control panel right (pressing start 6 times to enter adjustments)? Checked and cleaned the harness connector and made sure non of the blade pins are bent or oxidized? Switched the line circuit breaker to "off" and did a voltage test?

It isn't uncommon not to get an error code since Onan doesn't generally produce one unless the over voltage exceeds 150vac while your TS appears to be tripping far below that.

That's a'lotta bones I wouldn't want to dig up unless every other possibility had been exhausted. It's an older genset, but it has so few hours on it.

Doing all that testing is above my pay grade. Sense I can't find anyone in the Keys to work on Onan that takes extended warranty, I am going to wait until I get back up North. I have my trusted Honda EU2000I to keep me charged up. Thanks for the response.

Ron
US Army retired
2016 Ford F150 XLT

Now that u mention that as I look out my window my neighbour only has two AC units and I see the tiny option spec now that I look close

Optional on 40 ft Three Low Profile Roof Air Conditioners with Heat Pump & 10.0 kw Onan® Generator

too bad they don't come with a decent sized engine.the only thing I dislike about that model.guess its ok for back east but useless out west

Now that u mention that as I look out my window my neighbour only has two AC units and I see the tiny option spec now that I look close

Optional on 40 ft Three Low Profile Roof Air Conditioners with Heat Pump & 10.0 kw Onan® Generator

too bad they don't come with a decent sized engine.the only thing I dislike about that model.guess its ok for back east but useless out west

We have had ours out west 2 time, trip to Alaska and states in between. We tow a #3700 toad and have had no problems with power.

Ron
US Army retired
2016 Ford F150 XLT

We have had ours out west 2 time, trip to Alaska and states in between. We tow a #3700 toad and have had no problems with power.

yes in your opinion.once you have something you have to like it .

I have a ISL 425 40ft with 60HP power module and its still sucks loaded on mountain passes

pulling a 3800lb toad so can not even imagine having the ISB 360 motor never mind the slightly better ISC option

as they say to each their own some people are happy going up 5-6% grades at 25-35MPH I like to hold 50-55

yes in your opinion.once you have something you have to like it .

I have a ISL 425 40ft with 60HP power module and its still sucks loaded on mountain passes

pulling a 3800lb toad so can not even imagine having the ISB 360 motor never mind the slightly better ISC option

as they say to each their own some people are happy going up 5-6% grades at 25-35MPH I like to hold 50-55

Good for you, this thread is for a problem with a 10KW generator, not about horsepower any way.

Ron
US Army retired
2016 Ford F150 XLT

I have my trusted Honda EU2000I to keep me charged up.

Good deal, that!

Since you have an extended warranty, that would be a good play. It's not impossible, but I would be a little surprised if it's a module component failure with only 325hrs on it. Since you can get by without it in the short term.. let your warranty do it's job. ;)

Good deal, that!

Since you have an extended warranty, that would be a good play. It's not impossible, but I would be a little surprised if it's a module component failure with only 325hrs on it. Since you can get by without it in the short term.. let your warranty do it's job. ;)

I will definitely will give an update as soon as I get it repaired.

Ron
US Army retired
2016 Ford F150 XLT

Archived