HelloFreedom

Yellowstone for a week or month; best value?

Hi Fellow Escapees,

This year we are finally making it to Yellowstone, probably first week of June approx. Can anyone recommend a good park we can get a good value on a weekly or perhaps monthly stay?

We saw some Passport America places that were over 50 miles away and I was hoping for something much closer that could accommodate our 37' Fifth Wheel.

Thank you for your input.

Brett

There are a number of parks in West Yellowstone. Without doubt the best park is the Grizzly RV Park. While it is very nice it is also the most expensive. We only stayed a few days so paid highest rate. I don't know what weekly or monthly rates would be. Use a site like RV Park Reviews and choose West Yellowstone. West Yellowstone is sort of the "center" for park activity. This is an absolutely marvelous park and one could spend years investigating and enjoying. Good luck. Dennis

None of the commercial parks around Yellowstone will be cheap unless they are quite a ways away from the entrances to the park.

You don't say if you need full hook ups or not. If not, there's a forest service campground (Bakers Hole) three miles north of West Yellowstone that - even though they don't have weekly/monthly rates - would probably be the most affordable, close-in campground and they have some electric sites.

Inside the park, you can get dry camping sites for ~$26/night and half that with an "Access" pass. Though no hook-ups, they do have a dump station and water-fill in four of the park's campgrounds (though at least one of those will not be open in early June). For FHU sites inside the park you would be paying rates comparable to the close in commercial parks outside the park (~$55/night and no discounts available).

Don

Early June can sometimes be iffy weather wise in Yellowstone. Just keep an eye on your weather app. But Yellowstone with snow is beautiful.

There are a number of parks in West Yellowstone. Without doubt the best park is the Grizzly RV Park. While it is very nice it is also the most expensive. We only stayed a few days so paid highest rate. I don't know what weekly or monthly rates would be. Use a site like RV Park Reviews and choose West Yellowstone. West Yellowstone is sort of the "center" for park activity. This is an absolutely marvelous park and one could spend years investigating and enjoying. Good luck. Dennis

Grizzly has no weekly or monthly rates, or they didn't in the summer of 2014. Really nice park!

Valley View RV Park in Island Park, ID. on US 20 has reasonable monthly rates, dailys and weekly aren't too bad considering the tourist area. 13 miles from the west gate of Yellowstone. We usually do 4-6 weeks there during June and July.

Inside the park, you can get dry camping sites for ~$26/night and half that with an "Access" pass.

FYI, the Access Pass is for those who have permanent disabilities. It's free and allows free entry into federal parks that have an entrance fee and half price on some amenities, such as campgrounds.

The Senior Pass is for those age 62 and older, costs a one-time fee of $10 and provides the same perks as the Access Pass.

If you fit neither of these requirements, you can purchase an Annual Pass for $80. It also allows free entry into federal parks that have an entrance fee, but does not offer the half price on amenities.

You can find out more information about all these passes, as well as some other specialty passes, here:

http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm

Edited by LindaH

I think Idaho may be your best bet. It is so busy that I would think very few parks offer discounts rates for longer stays. And I think some of the federal parks that would offer the half price limit the number of days you can stay and have very few sites for larger rigs.

There are a lot of nice forest service areas between West Yellowstone and Big Sky as well but that would be a bit of a drive.

Valley View RV Park in Island Park, ID. on US 20 has reasonable monthly rates, dailys and weekly aren't too bad considering the tourist area. 13 miles from the west gate of Yellowstone. We usually do 4-6 weeks there during June and July.

This is probably the best park for monthly rates.

...We saw some Passport America places that were over 50 miles away and I was hoping for something much closer that could accommodate our 37' Fifth Wheel...

Yellowstone and the surrounding area is a lot of real estate. Even West Yellowstone is about 16 miles from the Grand Loop. How much time and fuel do you want to expend just getting to where you want to go each day?

If you plan on spending a lot of time in the park and can dry camp, I would suggest moving a few times during your month visit. Mammoth Campground at the North Entrance can accommodate big rigs and is first come first serve. Canyon Campground is a concession run campground and I believe has some larger sites. There are two commercial campgrounds in Gardiner that you could checkout for weekly/monthly rates. Fishing Bridge Campground is concession run, has full hookups and spaces large enough for 40' RVs. Grant Village, Bay Bridge and Madison are also popular concession run campgrounds that can accommodate larger RVs. As mentioned, in the West Yellowstone area the Forest Service's Baker's Hole Campground has some electric sites as does the Rainbow Point Campground.

If you plan on spending a lot of time in the park and can dry camp, I would suggest moving a few times during your month visit. Mammoth Campground at the North Entrance can accommodate big rigs and is first come first serve. Canyon Campground is a concession run campground and I believe has some larger sites. There are two commercial campgrounds in Gardiner that you could checkout for weekly/monthly rates. Fishing Bridge Campground is concession run, has full hookups and spaces large enough for 40' RVs. Grant Village, Bay Bridge and Madison are also popular concession run campgrounds that can accommodate larger RVs. As mentioned, in the West Yellowstone area the Forest Service's Baker's Hole Campground has some electric sites as does the Rainbow Point Campground.

Canyon campground probably won't have sites large enough. If memory serves, they have sites as long as 40', but that would include the tow vehicle. A person "might" be able to park their tow vehicle elsewhere though.

Fishing Bridge is more of an RV park than a campground. No fire rings or picnic tables, rigs side by side and no discounts available so nightly fee will be ~$55. Grant doesn't open until June 21st, but they have some 50' sites.

Don