CB Radio?

Stiltner

Hey Guys,

Considering a CB Radio

1. Trip to death valley and other remote areas. I thought a it might be nice to have in the event of no cell signal.

2. When traffic is at a stand I'll know what is going on. But then again, my smart phone app would tell me.....not as detailed as a CB.

3. NOAA channels for weather.

Any insight?

I laugh because I installed a nice CB unit in my TV and I've never ever heard anyone I couyld understand on it. Seems all the truckers are using SSB radios which is uninteligable on a CB. I know it works because when I ask for a radio check, it works beautifully, Been two years and still waiting for it to be used productively.

When we go caravaning we use FRS (Family Radio System??)...little walki-talkies that work fantastic. Or we simply use cell phones.

I see lots of RV folks getting their HAM radio license and buying inexpensive 2M radios. I just wonder how helpful that would be?

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

I used to sideband and shoot skip with rotating PDL 2 beams on the roof as the Moonraker 4 was just too much wind load for my comfort. I had the exact length RG8 coax and a Pace 1000 BC Sidetalk Base unit with a D-104 Lollipop on the desk. I was going to go for the Yaesu unit but ;lost interest in radio. Now that there is no code test for general the electronics part is no problem for me. I may have to at least get a little 2 meter handheld. I'd have bought a used sideband CB several times but it is just likely they were keyed with no load and had problems.

The advantage you would have with a sideband unit is that they shoot skip (Bouncing off the ionosphere) hundreds to thousands of miles so in remote areas you might find they are the best choice for no Ham license.

Here is a bunch of good websites and videos that will explain what that is, and the gear needed. I had my rigs in San Antonio in 1976-1978. I have confirmation post cards (QSL) from as far as Switzerland, Australia, and lots from Hawaii as well as all over the US and Canada. And no I used no illegal linear amps. Sideband by dropping one sideband and the carrier is using only pushing 1/3 of the load, which is the carrier and two sidebands. So it is like making the 4 watts of power work the same as 12 watts, or 12 watts PEP, Peak Envelope Power.

This article says it all: http://cbradiomagazine.com/Articles/How%20to%20Shoot%20Skip.htm

Dang! Guess I don't have Alzheimer's.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I took the CB out of your motorhome after several years of little use and complete dislike of listening to the trashy talking of the truckers on it. Like Roy, we carry a pair of FRS radios for traveling with others or we use cell phones. There are few places where cell coverage is lacking that you would get anyone to respond to a call on the CB, or at least that was the case when I took ours out. Our present vehicles none of them have a CB. I have considered getting a ham license and going 2 meter.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have a CB unit wrapped in a towel under the back seat of the truck, a magnetic mount antenna and a plug adapter for power. I know that it has been at least 10 years since I had the unit out....I do not know if it even works anymore.

I have my general ham license and will use the VHF/UHF if I need to make any contact other than cell phone while traveling. If we travel with others, we use FRS radios for contact unless we are traveling with another ham.

Last time I used a CB on the road, I got tires of the constant filthy talk from the truckers.

Oh and you can still "shoot skip" on the AM side of CB. You do not need a SSB unit. The CB is in the 11 meter band which beaves much like the ham 10 meter band.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Hmmm I must be the exception! I never travel without one. Yeah the truckies and loonies around the big cities colour the air somewhat. But the information you can get from a cb is well worth it IMHO. However I do believe that fewer and fewer truckies now use them. The lack of range in the USA can be an issue at times though. Many a time a truck has called me around to pass.

I've avoided a tick on more than one occasion thanks to the cb.

regards

I take the other approach and always drive long distance with the CB on. I like being able to hear of a situation ahead and being prepared for a slow down before I get there. It has saved me from a few panic slow downs on the big road. If the noise gets too much, there is a off switch, but other times the CB can be the most important tool in the cab.

Greg

There still a useful tool but not nearly like they where back in the days before cells and gps, we used them all the time for local directions, and you could get a good response, nowadays ther is a lot of trash talk but filter that out and their still usefull. Mine is always on for work and rving.

2014 jayco siesmic 3914

1998 volvo 610, singled short ( bought in 2005)

14 speed volvo tranny

2014 Toyota yaris

I take the other approach and always drive long distance with the CB on. I like being able to hear of a situation ahead and being prepared for a slow down before I get there. It has saved me from a few panic slow downs on the big road. If the noise gets too much, there is a off switch, but other times the CB can be the most important tool in the cab.

Greg

X2! I do not care to listen to anyone miles away from my vehicle, as by the time I get there things have changed. If I can receive from 1 mile away I'm happy, that's why I keep the squelch turned up all the time. I sometimes listen with my earbud when DW is sleeping or language is rough.

The one time I turned it off, I had just passed an exit when traffic came to an abrupt halt, and we sat there for a hour or more. I watched many semi's take that exit in my side mirror.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Greg

X2! I do not care to listen to anyone miles away from my vehicle, as by the time I get there things have changed. If I can receive from 1 mile away I'm happy, that's why I keep the squelch turned up all the time. I sometimes listen with my earbud when DW is sleeping or language is rough.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I find that the only place there is useful CB traffic is on the interstate. It can be handy there to get a heads up on which lane is closed, radar traps, etc - but that's it.

FRS for talking amongst friends

For remote/emergency/rescue communications, either a licensed ham rig to bounce a repeater, or a satellite device subscription service (I use a DeLorme inreach).

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

It is another tool that can be useful traveling. We have one it is always on when in travel .Not the chatter of 30/40 years ago but we find it of use.We have the Cobra hand held now.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We have a CB and use it occasionally while on the road. As an aside, we are now at Imperial Dam LTVA. There is quite the CB culture here. Every evening at 7 PM there is a CB roll call where many campers check in. It is a practice that is a carry over from when this was a mining area years ago. Beside the roll call there are announcements of the daily activities schedule and future activities. They also have a swap shop each Wednesday as well as a weather report. There is an emergency response team and CB channel 12 is monitored 24/7 for emergencies and ambulance calls. It is much more efficient to get ambulance response via the CB here than to use 911 on a cell phone where you don't know who you will get. When they summon an ambulance, team members go to prearranged locations and guide the ambulance, LEOs, and fire dept. to the proper location.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

Our coach came standard with a CB radio. I rarely use it, but it is there. I have added a 2M radio, we have our cell phones, and a pair of FRS radios for getting in and out of campsites. I'm working (slowly) on my General license, so when I get that I'll add HF.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Archived