HF Antenna Questions

prairiegirl

Hello,

I have Yeasu FT-718 that I'm putting in my truck for talking and listening on the road. I am going to put small vhf antenna on for 2 meters and I would like to put a HF antenna on for 20 meters. I am on a limited budget and have looked at different antennas (as well as building one). I have Ford F250 with extended cab. I am pulling a fifthwheel and can't mount on rear bumper. I thought about mounting HF in front left stake pocket.

I should get coil over the top of cab 6 to 12 inches. I then would need a whip. I haven't figured how long one for 20 meters would need to be and I don't want to limit myself to just one band unless I have to. So getting to my question, How tall can I go and not worry about overpass heights? I will probably be taking older roads and not just using the interstate system to hop from place to place. I would like to sometime drive Route 66 and the Natchez Trace. Help with cheaper than Tarheal Antennas would help. I have a Super Antenna to use while camping(plus playing with dipoles and wire thrown in trees.)

Thanks for your help.

Mary

Archived