photos of how you set up your campsite for your dogs?

rabontte

Does anyone have photos of how you set up your campsite for your dogs? Do you use the portable fencing? If so, how do you fence off the underside of the camper and under the steps?

We have three small dogs and would like to have them outside with us around the camp chairs. We tried the tie out cables and all they wanted to do is tangle them and there really isn't room for that anyway. Right now, they are content to sit and watch everything and everyone inside the screen door.

We have two dogs and have found the best solution is just to keep them on a short 6' leash, as most cgs require. My wife and I will each keep one tied to our chairs when we are outside. That wouldn't work with three so maybe the fence would be the best. I've seen many camp sites where the enclosure is a little ways a way from the rig---and everybody goes into it.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

For the first two summers after we got our first dog we were in the same place for three months each so bought 3 of these (see pic below) and linked them together on top of AstroTurf out side our rv. The turf helped keep some of the sand and dirt from coming in the RV and she would run in an out. The weather was warm so I just put a sun screen over the door way and she could come and go as she pleased. This is probably more elaborate than you are looking for but until our dog got too big and could jump over it this was great/. We also had a kiddy pool and play dates with other RV'ers and their dogs. The best price at the time was walmart online (it has gone up since we bought it, you may want to try goodwill) and delivered to our site for free we used rebar stakes and plastic ties on the corners to keep it upright since it was a large expanse. Each individual unit folds down on itself to a square but it is heavy; if you are close to your GVW or limited on space this may not work. When we were done we gave it to one of the neighbors in the park. For small dogs you could probably work with one and the extension and it would stay up on its own. It is pretty weatherproof and the plastic edges were smooth. I don't have any pictures of our set up to post but here is one from the internet. Now we just keep her on a leash when we are outside and run her in the dog park daily. You will want to check with the park office before you invest in anything as some parks do not permit pet enclosures/fencing on individual rv sites or require they be taken down when not in use.

7896.jpg

We travel with 3 little dogs and have a 5th wheel. We bought 2 sections of the 3 ft high portable fence at Petco. It sets up on both sides of the rv steps and for under the steps I have a piece of ridgid wire fence that I bent at the top to hang on the back side of the steps on a bar. I use snap hooks to attach everything together. Takes maybe 10 minutes to set up and take down.

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

Wow.I'm not criticizing but I'm surprised as we rarely in 9 years have seen campgrounds that allow these free run fences.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

We have two EX pens and 16 sections of 30" X 30" fences. I cut on the ex pens to go under the steps so the dogs can't get under the steps.

I will use the second EX pen if we have the room and can use less fence sections if it's tight.

The picture is from a dog show. We had lots of room so everything was out.

When we are at an RV Park I always tell them about the fences and have never been told we couldn't use them.

I do not leave them out by themselves. I either watch from the door or sit with them. We always watch for poop and pick it up right away.

trailer.jpg

I got the fences from ebay. They were just over $200 for the 16 sections.

Cheers

Chris

We have a standard schnauzer and a 4' fence will not keep her in. She easily can clear 4'

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Does anyone have photos of how you set up your campsite for your dogs? Do you use the portable fencing? If so, how do you fence off the underside of the camper and under the steps?

We have three small dogs and would like to have them outside with us around the camp chairs. We tried the tie out cables and all they wanted to do is tangle them and there really isn't room for that anyway. Right now, they are content to sit and watch everything and everyone inside the screen door.

Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!!

What will work depends some on the individual dogs. Perhaps they would get use to being picketed on tie outs, then again maybe not. If they are tied out such that they can not reach each other, perhaps some of the tangling issues would be resolved. Some parks do not allow pens, others do. Some parks do not want you to picket animals to screw-in devices or driven in posts. Some do not want tie outs secured to picnic tables, trees, etc. Many parks do not want animals outside unattended even if you are in the RV. Some dogs will honor a minimal fence. Others both large and small will find a way over or under just about any fence. It is amazing how fast a large dog can dig enough to get under a fence and how high a small dog can jump to get over one. I've had dogs that will just run through an electronic fence to get out and then sit and bark from the outside when they want to come back in.

If a park has a dog run, I will take a book or the kindle and if necessary a chair and sit and read so the dogs can have some time to roam and play.

Again, Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!!

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

• 8 months later...

Most people do not realize how high a dog can jump. We have a 32# standard schnauzer and she can easily clear a 4' high fence. I laugh at the people that have medium size and smaller dogs with a 2' high X-pen. The dog can jump it if he wants to.

So be mindful of how high a dog can jump.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Wow.I'm not criticizing but I'm surprised as we rarely in 9 years have seen campgrounds that allow these free run fences.

And I have rarely been in a park that didn't allow them. My experience is that parks have no problem with them as long as you are still present and outside while the dogs are in the pen. Most parks will not allow dogs outside when the owner is not outside, also. They don't seem to care if they are on leashes or in the enclosure.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

We gave up bringing our outdoor fence during the first year. Most campgrounds we stayed in didn't allow any type of outdoor fenced area on the site. We've left it at home ever since. We keep them each on a 6' leash and they sit under our chairs for the shade. If they want to play a game of "chase me - catch me" we go to the nearest dog park and let them exhaust themselves.

We gave up bringing our outdoor fence during the first year. Most campgrounds we stayed in didn't allow any type of outdoor fenced area on the site. We've left it at home ever since. We keep them each on a 6' leash and they sit under our chairs for the shade. If they want to play a game of "chase me - catch me" we go to the nearest dog park and let them exhaust themselves.

Ditto, except I use the retractable leashes. One sits quietly under my chair and the other wanders around us. Two leashes are a whole lot easier to transport than a bunch of Xpen, plus the little 10in tall (at the shoulders) mutt has no problems jumping the 3 1/2ft fence where I call "home". She jumps up, grabs the top, pulls her back feet up and balances all four feet on the top, and then jumps. I'll keep her on a leash before I would trust some portable fencing.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

• 9 months later...

If you are wondering what the rocking seat looks like, it’s like a cuddle cove rocking seat that includes with handles, which improves the overall portability of the product. The playpen is durable and stable, it holds on tight against the ground, which helps your baby feel safe and secured while having fun. You can do other stuff while knowing that your newborn infant or your energetic toddler is 100% safe. read more about Best Portable Playard

Wow, old article, but still interesting.  We've been traveling in our motorhome for 2 1/2 years, and full time for the past year.  We use portable fencing for our dogs, and have traveled all over the country, from Florida to Arizona and northward from Montana to the northern Midwest states, and everywhere in between.  In all our travels, we have only been to one RV park that did not allow portable fencing.  And, in that case they had just changed their policy 2 days before we arrived.

I'm attaching a photo of our current site in a state park in Colorado.  We have several expens set out here, as we have a large site.  It gives the dogs plenty of room to run and excersize.  And they are never let out when we aren't there with them.

boyd lake.jpg

Mike and Retha Hopkins

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
8 hours ago, samsonhr said:

I haven't yet seen a fence set up for pups in a campsite. 

In  our 7+ years of full timing , we see them fairly often . 

But , we're use to checking what folks have . Hosting campgrounds has a tendency to make you/us more aware ... ;)

Goes around , comes around .

Archived