State Parks

SWharton

In TX, I buy the park pass, and it was $ 70 last week. To soften the sting, the pass allows for 4, second nights stay at the same park at half price. As some parks are $24 per night, plus the entry fee, those second nights at only $12, saving us up to $48, plus the entry fee savings. Sort of works out to be a free pass if we book to stay 4 times in the year for at least 2 nights. We also often use the pass for a day visit to many of the parks saving the day use fee.

Dave and Dolly Cobb
Arlington TX

1998 Foretravel, U-295 36', rare mid-door
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, as a toad

Thanks for the input Dave. Most states have passes of some sort but we are looking at those of us who are just passing through. If one is going to stay in a state a while then it is time to consider the passes. This can get very convoluted if we start looking at all options. Good to know though...................

Great information. Thanks for sharing.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

From our experiences with state parks, you may add North Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee to your list of no entrance fees/daily fees to the reg. camping fee. FYI, Georgia and Carolinas always run winter deals where camping is half price -- dif. parks offer dif. deals - some have no restrictions, others 2 days - 14 days, others 14-30 days;we're booked out for four months taking advantage of the half-price specials. Here is a current 2016 link to see examples for specials in Georgia: http://www.gastateparks.org/snowbird

From our experiences with state parks, you may add North Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee to your list of no entrance fees/daily fees to the reg. camping fee. FYI, Georgia and Carolinas always run winter deals where camping is half price -- dif. parks offer dif. deals - some have no restrictions, others 2 days - 14 days, others 14-30 days;we're booked out for four months taking advantage of the half-price specials. Here is a current 2016 link to see examples for specials in Georgia: http://www.gastateparks.org/snowbird

We just stayed at Hard Labor Creek state park in Georgia 2 nights ago and had to pay a $5 entrance fee in addition to the camping fee.

Dick N

I stayed in a State Park in Wisc and one NE two years ago and both charged a daily/weekly or annual fee to enter the park in addition to the camping fee. NE even charged me a extra fee for my motorcycle that was inside my toy hauler even if I was only using it to enter and exit the park.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

As a former Michigander I was curious on the entrance fee. Wow...trying to find the information was crazy and I still don't know if I have it correct but I 'think' for a non-resident the annual entrance fee is $31 or a daily is $9. This is in addition to the camping fee and there is an increase this year on some camping fees.

In addition, you need a one-time $6 fee for a towed vehicle. Therefore, it's expensive to camp in Michigan.

This fee is also required for the state forests. Wow!!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I no longer stay at State campgrounds. They use to be a bargain when I first started out Full Time.

Now a lot of them with just electric hook ups are more per day then then a Full hook up site at a Passport America campground.

Then the State ones raise the rates more from Thursday-Sat.

Then their are the ones that add entrance fees more $ for out of state residents.

Just not worth driving extra miles out of the way to them anymore. :(

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Biker56, I agree. Plus a lot of them have online reservations so by the end of the first week in January every spot is booked from Memorial Day through Labor Day and when they decide not to go, they don't cancel, just don't show up and sites sit empty.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We generally don't even think about going to any federal, state, county etc. park during July and August. We have also found that some parks keep sites available for drop ins. I wouldn't depend upon it though, always have Plan B. We have 10 months to enjoy them is we want. Everyone makes choices.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived