My name is John and I have a problem...

grendel

They say the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

:)

This is where the problem comes in... I am a gear head. I can't have normal anything. Everything gets modified. I bought a dually crew cab Denali. Guess what, with five kids it's not that comfortable, even though it will tow just fine with it's 415hp 900ft lb Allison backed Duramax.

Kids have to go to bathroom, get hungry, etc. Dog is not comfortable and I can't even seat everyone.

DId I mention I can't have anything normal? I couldn't find a HDT I like. I sort of like Pete 379's but the sleepers are ho-hum.

So, my friend RoosterBooster and I are building a HDT based RV to pull my camper and race car stacker.

Enter in "Diamond Jim". A 1958 Diamond T model 923 re-built in the mid 1970's by "Junky Jim" to haul (of all things) rail road cars.

Yep... 1970's Mack chassis with buck board springs, 22" tires, 2 speed rear, Road Ranger 13 speed, Cummins 250, 44 ton winch and a hydraulic system to run the boom mounted on a big Dayton hitch that hydraulically changes height.

1817025d1435249371-diamond-jim-diamond-t

The design for the truck has evolved as the canvas presents itself, but we have that figured out now.

300" WB. Yes, you read that right. We're using a custom Adams 100psi steel frame.

Peterbuilt Low air leaf rear suspension from a 2014 Peterbuilt 386 Glider I bought.

Same Pete 386 front springs, but on 1994 Peterbuilt 379 front frame horns, with the variable ratio steering box from a later 379.

Cat 3406B in 650hp spec. Yep, no computers.

Super 10 transmission.

Dual Eaton 38K rears with 3.30 gears and lockers in both axles

Super single rears.

13.5' custom sleeper designed to haul 7 people comfortably, but camp 2 for 2 weeks. It's based on 1950's Spartan trailers, but built with 1/8" aluminum and 1/4" huckbolts. My kids call it Fortress Jim now.

It will have a fridge, stove, bathroom and all amenities of a high end coach but still haul anything I want.

My wife wanted a tiny house. This is my version of it.

2059505d1450994880-diamond-jim-diamond-t

Rooster says it's his truck's bigger brother. This is where we are today, attaching the cab to the sleeper and installing the drive train.

It will have a custom bed on the back that follows the lines of the front and blends the sleeper into the over all profile.

Some of you have seen this on another rougher site.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well.... I ain't never... and further more, couldn't if I wanted to. WOW!, IMPRESIVE. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see the end results. Like we say around here..."You ain't skeered of nothing."

Ed

It's taken a bit of custom tooling... a military crane, a bunch of custom (RoosterBooster Built) benders, z flanged aluminum, 6'x12' aluminum 1/8" thick sheeting, one 1955 Spartan Imperial Mansion for detail parts.

Oh and a bunch of crazy dudes to put it all together. Most stuff is one off, but built for the long road ahead.

The tail end of the sleeper:

2051305d1450387803-diamond-jim-diamond-t

Side detail:

2058673d1450909400-diamond-jim-diamond-t

Are you sure that a Volvo is not hiding in there somewhere..........

Keep bucking those rivets......

Drive on.........(Old timer.......late model)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Are you sure that a Volvo is not hiding in there somewhere..........

Keep bucking those rivets......

Drive on.........(Old timer.......late model)

I am positive there's no Volvo in there.

Almost installed a Volvo air ride front but my friend needed it more than I did.

We're using a Huck bolt, so no rivet bucking... the gun does it all.

Welcome and WOW ! That is a nice project.

Hope to be able to see it in person some time.

Keep up the good work and post more pics!

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

The original truck pic indicates a lot of TLC prior to your ownership. Really neat!

Power Steering, air conditioning and HID headlights in the works too - I hope?

How many hours are currently in the build? I think your project goes beyond simple gear-head classification :D . Glad to learn you still have a wife. How did you find time to have the kids? B)

Welcome to the dark side. You know we love stories about projects such as yours. Looking forward to more pics as your project progresses.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

The original truck pic indicates a lot of TLC prior to your ownership. Really neat!

Power Steering, air conditioning and HID headlights in the works too - I hope?

How many hours are currently in the build? I think your project goes beyond simple gear-head classification :D . Glad to learn you still have a wife. How did you find time to have the kids? B)

Welcome to the dark side. You know we love stories about projects such as yours. Looking forward to more pics as your project progresses.

Full APU, full LED lights, including JW Speaker LED headlights.

Probably 400 hours. My wife thinks it's great, I am never far from the house, not drinking at bars, etc.

Wow! Please post lots of photos for us to drool over. I would also like to see it in person when you finish.

Glad you joined us here on this forum.

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Like everyone else, all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!! Now if it was only ready for the ECR what a way to show it off. Good luck and keep the pictures coming, great work.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

They say the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

:)

This is where the problem comes in... I am a gear head. I can't have normal anything. Everything gets modified. I bought a dually crew cab Denali. Guess what, with five kids it's not that comfortable, even though it will tow just fine with it's 415hp 900ft lb Allison backed Duramax.

Kids have to go to bathroom, get hungry, etc. Dog is not comfortable and I can't even seat everyone.

DId I mention I can't have anything normal? I couldn't find a HDT I like. I sort of like Pete 379's but the sleepers are ho-hum.

Grendel - Not meaning to hijack your post, but have you seen this post. http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=112608

I, like you, have too many projects (but not enough time). Sadly, the GEAR HEAD RESTING PLACE has taken a "back seat" to all of my other projects, for now.

BTW I love your project. I hope to see it some day, on the road or at a rally.

Jim

Archived