battery wiring diagram

rhb

IF you have just one positive and one negative cable, then all positives go together and all negatives go together (parallel wiring).

Like this but with one more battery:

If it's the original factory wiring, it may not be that simple. I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall that Scrap once said that in the case of the rare four-battery T2000s, that the fourth battery was dedicated to hotel loads, although that's been a long time ago, and I could be mistaken. If that is the case, though, there will be some sort of circuitry that will recharge the fourth battery from the alternator, but isolate it from the other three for starting.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Phil, you're correct. He had a picture that he posted when we were discussing battery cutoff switches. Was a mess of cables. Maybe he will re-post and I will look for the thread

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Man i don't even remember what pic or thread it was. Musta been one of the Ultracaps or sleeper no-idle options or something? The standard T2 setup for older trucks (42MT) with no disconnect is 2 left batts jumpered together and then a + and - cable going to the starter and 2 right batts jumpered and then a + and - to the starter. The maxifuse clean power wire and the eng/trans fuses (if applicable) come off of the single pin Deutch connectors that come off the battery jumpers. It doesn't really matter which one and they are gauged/gendered so you can't really mess them up.

The way the picture above shows will result in the FIRST battery (the battery where the wiring goes TO the vehicle) doing most of the "work" AND, getting most of the charge. The "back" batteries would work (and get charged) less. Ultimately, the batteries would not have the same service life. Ideally, each battery's posts will have a cable that goes to a central point and, from said central point, to the vehicle. Done that way, each battery in the battery bank would provide about the same amount of energy and, get the same amount of charge.

Archived