Swiveling front seats important?

TxCowboy

DW and I are looking at getting a Class C for some travel in the first couple of years of full timing. (Keeping our 5th wheel as a base camp in our favorite RV park for a couple of years.)

We were wondering about your thoughts on whether swiveling front seats are important. The couple of brands that we've looking at so far are either Chevy-based or Ford-based. The Chevy seats apparently do not swivel and the Ford seats do.

If you own a Ford Class C, do you actually use the two front seats as lounge seating when you are parked?

If you own a Chevy Class C, do you miss NOT having these two seats available?

Thanks for your comments?

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

I have a Class C on a Ford E-350. Only the passenger seat swivels, because the dinette is too close to the driver's to allow it to swivel. I love the swivel. It provides an extra seat for company, and is very comfortable. I enjoy reading there when I want the natural light that is plentiful in the cab, or simply a different view. Just by swiveling it around to face the house, it makes the house feel bigger. And my dog loves it. She can look out the windows easily, and still keep track of what I'm up to (looking for dropped cookie crumbs!).

Full-timing and enjoying every minute.

Blog: www.agingonwheels.com

Our Class C is on the Ford E-450 chassis and it has "swivel" driver's and passenger seats. However, they don't swivel all the way around and, since both seats are a step down from the cabin floor, one sits very close to the floor. This actually wouldn't be a bad thing if the seats swiveled all the way around. Thus, we don't bother swiveling our seats.

If swivel seats are important to you, make sure they swivel all the way around, not just half way.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Appreciate the comments. Those that we've seen seem to only swivel partway which was a concern to us.

Thanks again for your insights. :)

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Maybe a little off topic since you asked about Ford and Chevy only and from owners. You have a great question! We have a Class A and always swivel the seats and with the flat floor it adds two great additional chairs. Friends with a Sprinter View class C always swivel theirs, for the two best seats in the RV. You are looking at Ford and Chevy, but might like to at least sit in a Sprinter to see maybe what you are missing when seats can't become part of the saloon area.

Suggest you take off your shoes and spend some time, figure out where you are going to sit, recline, watch TV, mess on the computer. I never sit on our couch, but my wife loves it. I perfer one of the forward seats for reading or computer or gazing at the world out side. But I perfer the Lazy Boy rocker/recliner for TV watching.

Dave and Dolly Cobb
Arlington TX

1998 Foretravel, U-295 36', rare mid-door
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, as a toad

I have a Born Free Class C. Both the front seats are Flexsteel Brand with Ultraleather.

Only the pass side swivels fully. Look out for comfort of the seats...

My Flexsteel Seats are very comfortable, like a recliner.

Steve

LIFETIME MEMBER
2011 Born Free Class C
OR/ CA border

NEWBIE, so I have everything to learn !

We have a swivel base installed on the stock passenger seat , goes between the seat base and the original van seat. Our class C MH is based on a Chevy chassis. Its been several years now, believe we bought it online, Google swivel seat base or similar, one supplier is "Shop 4 seats". As for functionality, its OK, but the house floor height is raised up from the cockpit, and that can be annoying to some folks. Also, while it does swivel past 180 degrees, counter clockwise, (to clear the doghouse). In our case you would sit at an angle to clear the jacknife sofa, or what have you.

Carl

All, thanks for the great comments. In our search, we finding the swivel seats seem to add a nice additional dimension to the interior space.

But I have been reading some comments that the driver's swivel seat sits too close to the steering wheel for some drivers. I'm six feet tall -- will this be a problem?

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Archived