"Night" shade will not raise...

Matt NY

First of all, I do not believe it is a "string"problem...

We have a problem raising the Night part of our day/night shades. This has been an issue since we bought the Motorhome (used).

The "day" shades go up and down nicely, the night shades go down ok, but do not stay "pleated" as they go up! We are constantly having to manually "fix" many of the pleats to make it go up.

By fixing, I mean pulling them from both sides to straightened them.

They are Day/Night shades. The "Day" shades are a soft cloth (semi-transparent) and the "Night" shades are a darker, paper-like material.

Anyone have this issue? And can anyone give me any suggestions? I hate to buy new ones as they are not cheap.

Thank you in advance,

Matt

Maybe you could spray them with spray starch as you put the blind up after straightening each pleat. Not sure, but it might help them hold the pleat. Wonder if someone took them down and washed them removing that type of stiffener from the fabric. I'd try to spray both sides of each pleat.

Pat DeJong

Maybe you could spray them with spray starch as you put the blind up after straightening each pleat. Not sure, but it might help them hold the pleat. Wonder if someone took them down and washed them removing that type of stiffener from the fabric. I'd try to spray both sides of each pleat.

Hmm.. I wondered that actually. Have you tried it? I would be concerned that being wet, they would stick together??

Thanks,

Matt

Restringing the shades is pretty simple, and getting in there will likely show you where the issue is. Often cords start to fray and hang things up. The website given by RonMon is where I've gotten my supplies and instructions. I've redone several and have supplies to do them all once or twice!!

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

In my experience, once you start repairing the day night shades it turns into a never ending endeavor. My solution is to replace them with blinds available custom sized and in unlimited styles from many online blinds sources.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

I discussed this with my wife, who was a maker of custom draperies in a previous life and who also has experience with the problems that you are experiencing. One factor that you have not mentioned is the age of the RV.

It is her opinion, bused partly on experience with day/night shades and partly based upon many years working with draperies that there is a fix, but you need to understand the root of the problem. Shades of that type are made by pressing the pleats into them "permanently" but those pleats do wear out. He suggest that you start by getting some fabric sizing product, rather than spray starch because it is made for that purpose while starch doesn't penetrate and will flake off quickly. You then lower the blind all of the way and spray alternating sides until the material is dampened all over. As soon as the material is completely dampened you need to carefully put the pleats back and raise the blind in one operation, then fasten them up firmly. Next use a blow dryer on low heat to dry the pleats into place and do not lower them until they are completely dry and preferably not for at least 24 hours. This should set the pleats back in, but she also cautions that this is a temporary repair and will not last long term. In our experience it did get us by for a time but we consider that 6 months to 1 year would be a pretty successful repair.

The other caution that Pam has is that that type blind is not made of a typical cloth but is a rater stiff material and part of the problem is that over time more and more of the stiffening fibers begin to break down. Each time that you rework the sizing it will probably last a shorter period of time. What you are seeing is actually normal wear for that type of material. Like most things they do wear out as a normal part of use. Because we prefer to sleep with windows open when weather is nice and those blinds do not work well for allowing air movement though them, we have gotten away from them and would never consider an RV that has them, unless we bought it with plans to replace them.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I discussed this with my wife, who was a maker of custom draperies in a previous life and who also has experience with the problems that you are experiencing. One factor that you have not mentioned is the age of the RV.

It is her opinion, bused partly on experience with day/night shades and partly based upon many years working with draperies that there is a fix, but you need to understand the root of the problem. Shades of that type are made by pressing the pleats into them "permanently" but those pleats do wear out. He suggest that you start by getting some fabric sizing product, rather than spray starch because it is made for that purpose while starch doesn't penetrate and will flake off quickly. You then lower the blind all of the way and spray alternating sides until the material is dampened all over. As soon as the material is completely dampened you need to carefully put the pleats back and raise the blind in one operation, then fasten them up firmly. Next use a blow dryer on low heat to dry the pleats into place and do not lower them until they are completely dry and preferably not for at least 24 hours. This should set the pleats back in, but she also cautions that this is a temporary repair and will not last long term. In our experience it did get us by for a time but we consider that 6 months to 1 year would be a pretty successful repair.

The other caution that Pam has is that that type blind is not made of a typical cloth but is a rater stiff material and part of the problem is that over time more and more of the stiffening fibers begin to break down. Each time that you rework the sizing it will probably last a shorter period of time. What you are seeing is actually normal wear for that type of material. Like most things they do wear out as a normal part of use. Because we prefer to sleep with windows open when weather is nice and those blinds do not work well for allowing air movement though them, we have gotten away from them and would never consider an RV that has them, unless we bought it with plans to replace them.

Thank you, we will try the sizing... I really don't want to dole out for new blinds just yet.

Matt

When the strings broke in my blinds I replaced them with heavy drapes. They block out light completely and no strings to worry about.

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

Archived