Residential Refrigerator Upgrade

BandBuds

we just ordered ours, will be here in 2 weeks, just in time for the rally.

Samsung Model # RF18HFENBBC Internet # 205532594
33 in. W 17.5 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator in Black, Counter Depth

Height to Top of Case (Inches) 69.875 Height to Top of Door Hinge (Inches) 70.8125 Width (Inches) 32.1875 Depth (Including Handles) (Inches) 30.5 Depth (Excluding Handles) (Inches) 28.125 Depth (Less Door) (Inches) 24.3125 Depth with Door Open (Inches) 46.1562 Manufacturer Color/Finish Black Cabinet Color Black Door Handle(s) Color Black Toe Grille Color Black Custom Door Kit Compatible No Manufacturer's Warranty (Labor) 1-year limited Manufacturer's Warranty (Parts) 1-year limited Lowe's Exclusive No Color/Finish Family Black CSA Safety Listing Yes ETL Safety Listing Yes UL Safety Listing Yes ADA Compliant No Number of Doors 3 Built-In No Counter-Depth Yes Matching Replacement Water Filter Model N/A Freezer Drawers 0 Series Name N/A Sub-Brand N/A Door within Door No ENERGY STAR Qualified No Gallon Door Storage Yes

Your refrigerator open space looks about the same size as ours. We got our refrigerator at lowes, I found it at home depot first, got a better deal at lowes.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nuke-E, that looks very interesting. But way above my skill level. I'd for sure end up destroying the fridge. I thought Dollytrolly talked about this particular fridge has some sort of soft start feature anyway? Back on page 1. VFD or something. So I'm not sure that capacitor thing would help.

I've ordered a 2k pure sine wave Xantrex from Don Rowe. I also ordered another auto switch for this one. I'm going to mount it in the same cabinet the 600 watt one is in. I'm going to keep the 600 watt and re-wire that one over to power my entertainment center. Then the 2k one will be wired to the fridge circuit. I'm fine with putting in the 2k inverter. I found 1 gauge welder wire at my local welding shop for $2/ft so that's not too bad.

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

Bob, I like the idea of having the fridge on a separate inverter. Your tech-y stuff probably wouldn't play nice with the "power save" modes on a lot of inverters, but it should work pretty well with a refrigerator. Which would mean that despite being a larger inverter, you shouldn't have to waste much to idle it when the compressor isn't running.

Of course, I'm going for the opposite extreme, with a monster inverter going in to be able to run the air conditioners off of the lithium batteries I'm playing with.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Thanks Dave. The idle draw listed in the specs for the 600 watt Xantrex are <.6 amp and the 2k one is <.8 amp. Not a huge difference as far as I can tell. I know when I had the fridge all cold (from either the generator or shore power) and I tried using the inverter to keep it running the display showed no watts going out. Then I could open the doors and watch the inverter and when it warmed up enough to kick in the motor is when it would show about 12 to 14 for a millisecond and then it would beep and shut down and show the overload code. The owner's manual says that readout is in kilowatts. So does that mean it's putting out 1200 to 1400 watts? I'm guessing so. The surge capacity is only supposed to be 1200 watts. The spec on the fridge says maximum power is 8 amps. That should only be 960 watts I think. Oh well, I'll update when I install the 2k unit.

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

Hey, this is Bandbuds thread. Jeff, did you guys put an inverter in? I know you have a much larger fridge than mine. Just wondering.

Not yet, but we plan to.

Cindy & Jeff Brett
2014 Mobile Suite Memphis 44'
2004 Volvo 630 (The Sonshine Express), ET Hitch, Jackalopee & Szmyt Wonderbed
2016 Smart (Blanche)

• 2 years later...

I'm bumping this old thread up as I'm currently shopping for a residential fridge to replace my Double Door Norcold 1210 model that died and everything @Dollytrolley said about the Frigidaire fftr1222qb and it's variable speed compressor is pretty impressive. I boondock a lot so I'm trying to find something that is going to not put a huge strain on my system. I have 6 6v batteries for 690ah and 800w of solar on my roof.

Obviously this thread & fridge though are a couple years old and that model has been replaced probably several times by newer models. So, if you are shopping fridges, how do you figure out if the compressor has the variable speed? It seems LG calls it Inverter compressor? Anything else it's known by? I also read to be concerned if the fridge has the temp cut of switches.  

I like this 18 CF Frigidaire fridge at a first glance, but no idea about the compressor? It says it pulls 6 amps at 120v which seems high compared to what I read in this post? - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frigidaire-18-cu-ft-Top-Freezer-Refrigerator-in-Black-FFTR1814TB/302007879?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D29A|29-13_REFRIGERATION|MULTI|NA&amp;gclid=Cj0KCQiAw5_fBRCSARIsAGodhk8gE975JTfWF53c4f2BbRsR6T2sWL4o9JH6gi-uSC5nXpae127KQCwaAkcoEALw_wcB&amp;gclsrc=aw.ds 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Archived