Google Maps tips for planning

I recently did a couple of blog entries on using Google Maps for trip planning. The first focused on how to plan using the PC and then export it all over to the Android phone for Navigation.

The second was more general, just pointing out a few other ways to use Google Maps.

One of the neatest discoveries is this website which automates traveling the street view between two points. If you want to "travel" a section of highway, this beats sitting there clicking over and over again to advance down the highway.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

I use Google Maps for all our trip planning. It's a great tool for this, and it even has up to date construction areas. I include all our fuel, and rest stops, and simply print it out, hand it to the navigator and off we go.

Safe travels. :)

Sniper & Sweet P

Escapees 124743 H.O.C. 1371

I use Google Maps professionally and personally. The map-making process is becoming easier and easier, and I love importing KML/source files to improve upon any pre-built maps.

YoungFulltimers.com is dedicated to informing non-retired RVers who live on the road. This news-focused online publication should appeal to fulltimers of all ages.

I wish Google Maps allowed more waypoints. I like to put together an entire loop of stops for 7 months or so and then fill it in with specific campgrounds as I plan. Maps only allows a few stops.

So what I do is use Google Maps for individual moves, but Streets and Trips to create the entire trip. Here's our 2015 Adventure map it comes from this page - it was done with Streets and Trips.

image_map.jpg

I thought the job of the navigator was to plan out and implement the route, stops and destination ?

​As the job of co-pilot was to manage speed, fuel burn and take over for the pilot thereby eliminating fatigue?

Is the pilot trying to be pilot, co-pilot and navigator all at the same time? :D

Susan & Dale
DaGirls Rv 2008 Alfa Gold SoLong ISL 425 Cummins
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Tow / Roadmaster Setup
1600W@45Vdc Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar

880AmpHr
DaGirlsRv Blog

"Is the pilot trying to be pilot, co-pilot and navigator all at the same time? "

I know people like that. They are also the ones where the "co-pilot" doesn't help them park, since they are not listened to and are to blame when something goes wrong.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I thought the job of the navigator was to plan out and implement the route, stops and destination ?

​As the job of co-pilot was to manage speed, fuel burn and take over for the pilot thereby eliminating fatigue?

Is the pilot trying to be pilot, co-pilot and navigator all at the same time? :D

Ha! Just filing a flight plan before taking off.

There is a new file for Google maps that identifies state and local parks with RV parking facilities. You will find it on the militarycampgrounds.us website.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

There is a new file for Google maps that identifies state and local parks with RV parking facilities. You will find it on the militarycampgrounds.us website.

File is for Google Earth. Different animal.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Darryl&Rita, does that mean it cannot be used when mapping routes?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Darryl&Rita, does that mean it cannot be used when mapping routes?

It will work - but a few steps are necessary.

Download the KMZ file

Go to Google Maps (be sure you are signed in to Google). Click on the Menu icon (three lines, upper left).

Click on My Maps.

Click on Create Map

Click on Import and import that KMZ file.

That's it, you now have a Google Map with the campgrounds listed.

Archived