Ts Performance MP8

Mikele

Got lucky on cyber Monday and found a sale on the MP8(399.99 vs 595), so I bit the bullet on purchasing one of these for my 2000 (ym) International 4700,(230hp) Dt466e, 6+1 spicer. I haven't put much seat time as of now but I will be pulling the 5ver this coming weekend and will get the mpg results posted. They claim a 30% increase in power and 2-4 mpg on average. So far ive only driven it bobtail and it does seem to have more power but not a drastic change. It has a knob to adjust the levels and there is slightly notable difference from stock to full power, but again not a huge difference. The auto trans guys probably wouldn't notice much of any change. Im hoping for better MPG which was the primary reason for the purchase, so hopefully it will deliver.

• 4 weeks later...

Been running an MP8 on my Dodge since 20K miles, now 240K. Don't expect an overnight payback, but you will save money over the long run....but in the mean time you have more torque and HP to smile about. I figure I have put about 11,000 gallons in the Dodge over ten years...even if I only got a 1 MPG increase (but I get more), that is 11,000 miles divided by 20 MPG equals 550 gallons....at today's cost of $2.00/gallon (let alone the hundreds of gallons at $4.00/gallon)....I am way ahead of the $500 I paid in 2006 for my MP8.

Enjoy

Gemstone

'06 Elite Suites, '08 Softail Classic, '06 Softail Deuce.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long on an update. I didn't see much if any increase in MPG, But all I have done towing wise was one short trip. It was aBout half in town half highway and It got about 8mpg, which is what it did before. But then again it was a mixed trip with quite a bit of stop n go coming through town, so all highway mpg may indeed give a better result. Not really planning another trip till March so we will see then. As for paying for itself time will tell. But the way I see it averaging 7-8mpg, any improvement is welcome.

I have an MP8 in my International 440 with a DT570. I do notice a marked difference in power when either bob-tailing or hitched up. When hitched, I can spend more time in overdrive then running with it dialed down. When bob-tailing, people that ride with me are really surprised at how quickly the truck accelerates, considering it weighs in at over 13,000lbs.

I do notice that, when dialed up and towing, I will see a light on the dash flash very quickly. It was the same light that used to flash on my F550 as it also had a chip that fooled the computer into providing more fuel pressure. It is a fuel pressure warning light. When I inquired about it while getting the truck serviced, the mechanic said the light flashed because of the chip. I have never worried about it, although it catches me by surprise sometimes.

I have never really checked to see if it increased my fuel mileage...I might do that one trip. The problem is there are usually other mitigating factors in the fuel mileage. The only way to really compare is to drive the same exact road at the same speed, in the same weather conditions.

Jeff and Cindy Harvey

2007 Intl 4400 DT570

2010 Carriage Carri-Lite 36MAX1

Had an MP8 installed on my m2 with the cat c-7 when I bought it used. Didn't seem to do anything for power regardless of the setting of the rheostat. Since it seemed to have no appreciable effect on power or mileage, and since it works by altering the sensors input to the computer, in my opinion not a good idea in most circumstances, I removed it. Had a programmer on my previous Ford 7.3 that worked great, but it actually re-flashed the software in the computer, unlike the MP8.

Rich

I was hoping for much better reports on the MP8 as I was thinking about getting one, maybe better off doing something else. Thanks to all that have shared their experience with this and to the OP for starting the thread.

I don't think any chip or tuner is a magic bullet...the MP8 increases torque, HP and fuel economy, as do the others. The MP8 is truly plug and play, once installed, it can be disconnected in minutes. With no intended rancor, can I ask what you were expecting ?

I will say that I did experience a problem with mine...after 4 years it was causing my Dodge to lope at a stop, the rpm's would jump from 750 to 1K...I removed it, sent it back to the factory with and explanation , they sent me a brand new one, no questions asked.

Regards

Gemstone

Gemstone, I guess I thought people would see more of a change in MPG but some say there isn't even much of a power increase and that is the big reason to get one and the MPG would just be icing on the cake. With only a few saying it helped I was shocked.

The MP-8 increases injector pressure. Which is usually bad in the long run. Most of the "Tuners" are just that, boxes that fool the sensors in the fuel rail and allow it to run at higher pressures, which atomizes fuel better.

BUT

It also wears the injector tips out faster, and creates hotter cylinder temps.

A better tuner is one that also changes the injector duration timing, engine timing, fuel rail pressure, like EFI Live does on the Duramax and some years of the Cummins 5.9.

On the larger diesels, Pittsburgh Power has custom tuning that the truckers use.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

"The MP-8 increases injector pressure. Which is usually bad in the long run"....knock on wood I am still on the original injectors after using the MP-8 for 220K miles on my 5.9....total miles 240K. It has been a good investment for me.

Regards

Gemstone

Archived