Batteries

Shallow Draft

This morning I checked my batteries and they were dead. Very dead. 6.5 volts The 4 amp battery render was putting out as it should. The batteries are over 8 years old so they don't owe me anything. I am assuming that I have a shorted cell somewhere in 1 of the 4 batteries.

Where is the best [cheapest place to get replacements. Dealers sometimes have a good deal but there must be some chain that is a good supplier in the Phoenix area.

as usual any help and advice is appreciated.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

In 2013 I checked prices as follows:

Local Volvo dealer - CC Amps 960 $161 Chicago area

" " " - " " 750 $145

NAPA - CC amps 650 $104

Batteries Plus - CC Amps 950 $116

Bought four from Batteries Plus - so far so good.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Wow those dealer batteries are pricey. Was at my local Volvo dealer today and their 900 cca batteries were priced at 79.99 and he said that was the usual price. He said he had a few pallets and usually tried to keep lots in stock. He mentioned the Frieghtliner dealer down the street usually would beat them on price.

Disclaimer: I am not a battery expert, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn recently.

So, when comparing batteries, consider that on the surface, more CCA would seem better. But in reality, more capacity means more plates. More plates means less room between them, which means that less sulfation, or vibration, is needed to create an internal short. If your batteries are in a vibration free environment, and always are on a desulfating charger, then you should get more life from higher CCA rating.

My batteries get neglected occasionally, and also ride along on roads that have a bump here and there.

More's not always better. A quality battery of less CCA might be the best value.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Disclaimer: I am not a battery expert, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn recently.

So, when comparing batteries, consider that on the surface, more CCA would seem better. But in reality, more capacity means more plates. More plates means less room between them, which means that less sulfation, or vibration, is needed to create an internal short. If your batteries are in a vibration free environment, and always are on a desulfating charger, then you should get more life from higher CCA rating.

My batteries get neglected occasionally, and also ride along on roads that have a bump here and there.

More's not always better. A quality battery of less CCA might be the best value.

I agree with this, I have had problems before with the higher CCA batteries. I will check the local truck dealers on Monday.

Batteries Plus were close to the above $79 with the order on line option and pick up in Casa Grande

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

We bought 4 new 1000 CCA Interstate batteries last winter (Jan) at O'riellys at the big store on Foothills Blvd in Yuma for $79 plus the old battery trade-in. Every winter they put on a huge-battery-sale for the RV folks from Canada that flock in to grab the good deals.....they also had lower priced batteries as well......when I brought the cart with my old trade-ins to the back room they had Hundreds of batteries in stock.....I never thought of O'riellys as a very good deal but a few of their stores do cater to RV's in AZ......

Likely not worth the drive to Yuma from Casa Grande just for four batteries...........except......you could drop by Dateland each way for a Date Shake (9,999,999 calories....at least)....

Drive on........(with fresh.....batteries)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

We bought 4 new 1000 CCA Interstate batteries last winter (Jan) at O'riellys at the big store on Foothills Blvd in Yuma for $79 plus the old battery trade-in. Every winter they put on a huge-battery-sale for the RV folks from Canada that flock in to grab the good deals.....they also had lower priced batteries as well......when I brought the cart with my old trade-ins to the back room they had Hundreds of batteries in stock.....I never thought of O'riellys as a very good deal but a few of their stores do cater to RV's in AZ......

Likely not worth the drive to Yuma from Casa Grande just for four batteries...........except......you could drop by Dateland each way for a Date Shake (9,999,999 calories....at least)....

Drive on........(with fresh.....batteries)

Yes Yes Dateland Shakes are the best. Maybe worth the drive.

I replaced mine 2 years ago and the best price was from the Volvo dealer.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

I just put four in my truck a month ago. From the Volvo dealer they were $104 each. 950 CCA. I looked into getting them from various sources and putting them in myself. Considering I live on the road and only have a smart to transport them with I decided a turnkey deal at Roberts in Salina was the way to go. They also tested them and found what I did.....one dead, one bad, one good but weak, and one OK. Time for new ones. The prices locally at Napa and other sources for equivalent batteries was within $10 on the lower side and ranged up to $150 ea. I did clean all the cables in prep for the "adventure". But decided removing the batteries and putting in the new ones was not doing my back any good. So I paid the bucks. $200 for the diagnosis and installation. It pains me to pay it, but they did spend the time. And my pain pills, running around time, etc are probably worth that. Plus I met some nice people and a very nice dog at the Volvo dealer :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I just replaced all four last month also, must be the season...lol. I took the easy way out and stuck in NAPA batts. There's usually a NAPA store in most towns and they give a military discount now. Good luck

01, Volvo 770

08, 41' KZ New Vision Triple Slide, Triple Axle Toy Hauler 5ver. 5th Airborne Air ride Pin Box

2009 Rag Top Smart Car

FullTimers since 01

USAF CMSgt. Ret.

http://enophile.blogspot.com/

Remember, If you find yourself in a fair fight, Your tactics suck!!

I will check Napa also .My local Napa store in Maricopa is only minutes away. I have them out and I suspect one is the main problem with the other 3 not far behind After removal of the bar one was at 4 volts and the others at 8. I suspect the 3 will recover to give a false sense that they are good.

All 4 replaced

by tomorrow.

Vanguard trucks, the Volvo dealer in Phoenix Is $60.00 Best price so far.

Should I replace with AGM's

JohnnyB, do you have good access to them? Do you check them regularly? How many do you have? AGM have less internal resistance than wet cells so will push more current. I like them and wouldn't go with anything else, but if money is a concern, wet cells are certainly fine. Just require a little look now and then.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Vanguard trucks, the Volvo dealer in Phoenix Is $60.00 Best price so far.

Shallow

Think about it...........at $60 per battery you will save so much $$$ that..........you could afford to drive to Dateland just to savor a Date Shake after the task of replacing four old grungy truck batteries.........

Drive on..........(Enjoy the......Date Shake)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

My truck came with AGM's ; 2013 Cascadia.

Should I replace with AGM's when they need replacing or go the traditional wet-cell's?

Thanks, JohnnyB

JohnnyB,

If you decide to stick with AGMs when the time comes, check at Sam's Club. They're the cheapest for Group 31 AGMs that I've seen, by far. Better yet, since you're east of the Mississippi, if they have them at your local club they'll likely be the ones made by East Penn Manufacturing (Deka), which are almost certainly a higher quality AGM battery than the ones made by Johnson Controls, which is what they carry out here in the west.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Shallow

Think about it...........at $60 per battery you will save so much $$$ that..........you could afford to drive to Dateland just to savor a Date Shake after the task of replacing four old grungy truck batteries.........

Drive on..........(Enjoy the......Date Shake)

I might just have to do that. Dateland is not to far from Maricopa.

All the Canadian trucks come with 4 ,but consider the conditions.

When my 4 go I will replace with 3 , because I plan on only running in summer temps.I have been looking at school bus size batteries ,I bet 2 of those would be fine.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Archived