Things other RVers or campers do that annoy you.

DuneElliot

I came across this subject on another forum and thought it would be fun and interesting to ask here.

So what are your biggest pet peeves or annoyances about other RVers or campers, either while boondocking or in a campground?

Let the venting begin...

The worst one for me was one I posted on my blog. My perfect camping spot turned out to be less than perfect since I had invasion of three campers with old trucks and old campers. It seemed really rude and inconsiderate to camp next to someone else, even if there is “space” and a “campfire ring”. They were loud, had dogs and played music, plus they left at 9pm and didn’t get back until midnight. I hate people…and certainly don’t want to be sharing a campsite with them!!!!!!

It is also disturbing to me to see the trash some people leave behind, especially in some of the more backwoodsey campsites I try to stay in. If I can burn it I will, but dumping an entire gallon jug of BBQ sauce on the small beach of a pretty creek about pissed me off. It's not that it's just ugly and disrespectful but it could pollute the water and attract bears.

So those are the most immediate two I can think of: Noisy neighbors who insist on parking right next to you with no consideration or awareness when there are so many other places to choose, and people who leave trash.

I'm definitely curious to hear other people's tales of woe.

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People that do not pick up after their dogs.....and believe me, there are PLENTY of them.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Folks who bring their dogs, then leave them in their camper all day while they are away for the day sight seeing while the dogs bark, yap, and howl (I honestly can not remember a campground over the last 5 years where this hasn't happened). People who don't pick up after themselves. Cigarette butts on the ground really aggravate me, and I'm a smoker! One of my pet peeves I guess. LOL

Safe travels. :)

Sniper & Sweet P

Escapees 124743 H.O.C. 1371

Folks who bring their dogs, then leave them in their camper all day while they are away for the day sight seeing while the dogs bark, yap, and howl (I honestly can not remember a campground over the last 5 years where this hasn't happened). People who don't pick up after themselves. Cigarette butts on the ground really aggravate me, and I'm a smoker! One of my pet peeves I guess. LOL

Safe travels. :)

Rarely do I not take my dogs with me, and usually take them with me but leave them in the back of the truck if I can't take them in somewhere. They are so good that almost no one knows they are there most of the time. Border Collies might be pretty hyper but they are not barkers.

I know that when I full-time I will have to leave them sometimes so I can work, but I'm planning on hauling a portable dog run with me also so they can hang out under the camper while I'm working. Of course, a job where I can have them with me would be ideal. I've been offered this option a lot just because they ARE so well behaved and friendly.

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

People and their kids who pass through our rv site going to or coming from some area of the park. Dog people like Jack described. People driving too fast in the park. People at the campfire or happy hour that have to be the center of the discussion and are never wrong. I am also a little annoyed at folks that want to visit and converse while we are trying to get set up. And the folks who rv in high dollar 5er's, TT, or motor homes that complains that the toilets and showers aren't up to THEIR standards. Tip from Uncle Dave, use your own.

Dave

2004 Volvo 630 left tandem with 12 speed Freedomline

2014 Sandpiper 35 ROK 42' fifth wheel

Western Golf & Country Cart (EZ-GO frame)

People that do not pick up after their dogs.....and believe me, there are PLENTY of them.

Jack, respectfully, you are mistaken. I have never met a 'single' dog owner that wouldn't swear on their mother's grave that they 'always' carry a doogie bag in their pocket and "ALWAYS" pick up after their dog/s... without fail. You really should verify your facts before posting. :lol::blink::lol:

Mine would be generators. Particularly those that believe if you are out in the sticks that contractor type generators are perfectly fine or running any type of generator at any hour of the day or night is perfectly acceptable.

People and their Dogs .Leave them in the RV while out most of the day or evening then insist that they never bark of course not you are not there to hear them bark. We had dogs most of our life but since we have been on the road the last 9 years we have come to dislike dogs. Well their owners.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Rarely do I not take my dogs with me, and usually take them with me but leave them in the back of the truck if I can't take them in somewhere. They are so good that almost no one knows they are there most of the time. Border Collies might be pretty hyper but they are not barkers.

I know that when I full-time I will have to leave them sometimes so I can work, but I'm planning on hauling a portable dog run with me also so they can hang out under the camper while I'm working. Of course, a job where I can have them with me would be ideal. I've been offered this option a lot just because they ARE so well behaved and friendly.

Just a heads up...most parks will not let you leave your dogs outside while you're gone.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Boondock in dispersed sites. No one else around, and if folks do show up, they are quite likeable and request if it is OK to set up 50 yards away.

Reed and Elaine

LOL. That is so true! So much so that they are like family right from the get go so there is never a need to call "hail the camp!" from a respectful distance before coming to your door.

I guess I have 2 peeves. ;)

Just park your new ride out in the hinterlands of a parking lot to keep it from getting dinged or scratch. Come out later and there is someone parked right next to you even thought there are a million vacant spots closer in the could have used. What was it Doris Day used to sing? Kay Saraa Saraa- what ever will be will be. :)

X2

Where we are now, the rule is ti pick up and they even gave bags a several locations...yet some still do not pick up after little Fifi or big old Brunon

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Just a heads up...most parks will not let you leave your dogs outside while you're gone.

Good to know, thank you. I will have to figure something out that is acceptable. I prefer to boondock but know that I can't do that all the time. They have been welcome most places I have stopped at or visited, even if they don't normally accept dogs just because they are so well behaved.

Even in the camper they don't bark (I rely on feedback from others, not assumptions).

I will be working on this, and any suggestions from other workampers will be welcomed.

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

I guess we are pretty tolerant. On the occasion we encounter irksome behavior we tend to dismiss it. Finding the good and interesting aspects of people is so much more fun than stewing and letting it ruin our day.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

I guess we are pretty tolerant. On the occasion we encounter irksome behavior we tend to dismiss it.

I think that we fall into the same group as you. Reading through the list of gripes, I don't see any that we have never had contact with and some of them did annoy us for a time, but not for long as we just don't let things get to us. We prefer to avoid most all of the difficult visitors but we find that sometimes it is better for us to simply move. When campground hosting it is more of an issue because you are usually the one dealing with the aftermath of the problems that they created.

I strongly believe that there are more good people out RVing and camping than there are bad and I do my best to dwell on the folks who we especially enjoyed. Nothing wrong with blowing off steam and sharing gripes, as long as you don't dwell on the subject too long. Sometimes it can be a way to rid yourself of such feelings and that is good. :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Also, having worked as a campground host, some of the worst things we had to deal with was people using the fire ring as a garbage pit and not bothering to burn it. Also some do a number two in the shelter and leave it next to the campsite...really gross.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Dog owners who swear their dog never barks or makes sound while they are away from the RV; I once mentioned it to the next door camper that her dog barked while she was away and she called me a liar. So, next day I tape-recorded her dog barking - until the recorder maxed out, some 4 hrs.

When she returned I turned the recorder to max loudness and played it back to her while a small crowd was gathering. She never spoke to me again while I was there.

Folks who set up a dog pen in the grass at their site. Please, small children play in that grass, take your pet to the pet walk, that's what its for.

Litterbugs!!!!!! I recognize a persons right to smoke, I have asthma and if smoke is bothersome, I move away from them; that's my responsibility. HOWEVER!!!- if you are adult enough to smoke___you are adult enough to not be a LITTERBUG!

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived