Residential French Door Refrigerator

Velos

We have been going back and forth on swapping out our frig but it is 12 years old and we want to change it on our schedule and opportunity to choose the carpenter. We currently have it in the shop for several items.

We are shopping for the frig now and with the holiday sales Whirlpool and Samsung appear to be about the same price but I have been told the Samsung draws less energy.

If you have replaced your RV Frig with a Residential Frig:

What brand?

What model?

What size did you put it?

Any tips or tricks you would like to share?

Thank you.

For those that may be looking for a lock for french door frigs I found this idea.

Fabric covered 1/2 plywood

IMG_0826_thumb%25255B2%25255D.jpg?imgmax

We have been using an Amana 23 cu/ft for 10 years. We ordered it with the trailer.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

We went with a small Sears 10.7 cubic foot model that fit the space where the Dometic was. My suggestion is to first make sure the fridge you want vents properly in your fridge location space. Some vent in the rear and some in the front and some need a few inches on the side and top. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

We went with a small Sears 10.7 cubic foot model that fit the space where the Dometic was. My suggestion is to first make sure the fridge you want vents properly in your fridge location space. Some vent in the rear and some in the front and some need a few inches on the side and top. Greg

Thank you for the ventilation tip.

We swapped out the leaking 17 year old RV Dometic 33" wide model for a new Samsung 17.9, just like in your photo. We use the same design option to secure the doors while we travel. Since the upgrade last March we have traveled 8K, and 200 days, from TX to NJ, to FL,back thru TX to NM, CO, to Big Bend and back to the hill country without any issues. We use our inverter when we are not on park power or generator.

We had a 33" wide old unit, and there were only 2 options made by anyone to choose from for the same width opening, 33" and counter depth. We were lucky, that we had nothing below the old 5' tall unit, and could simply remove the support shelf above a storage area and install the new 6' tall Samsung. If you have equipment under your support shelf, hopfully you can relocate those items.

Our results have been great. We doubled the usuable size, have perfect temp control in the refer, and freezer, and I like that there are two compressors, one for each box. And it makes more ice than we and our friends can use. Leftovers always have a place to get taken home from dinner out now.

Issues were how to get the new unit into the coach? We have a nominal 26" side door, mid entry coach. The old 24" x 5' unit went out the door, as the diagonal dimension on the 33" side just fit when rotated to go out thru the door between the floor and the drop/ducted ceiling. The new 24 1/4" x 6' tall unit's diagonal dimension on the 33" side, would not fit back in the door, between the floor and the dropped ducted ceiling. The simple solution was to remove a side window, and with the unit on it's back, (24 1/4" tall), load it into the saloon with the raised and arched ceiling, and rotate it upward in the saloon. Then it was little trouble to move it aft and into the hall, and slide it into the 33" cabinet. After in place I installed the feet, door hinges, control panel, drawer, and doors. The new unit does have a finished out depth of maybe 30", deeper that the old unit. The result was a narrowed hall passage way.

Best upgrade maybe we had done. We just last week installed the matching Samsung design Convection Mirco wave. Looks like a new coach inside now.

Dave and Dolly Cobb
Arlington TX

1998 Foretravel, U-295 36', rare mid-door
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, as a toad

We swapped out the Norcold RV fridge in our Carri-Lite with a Whirlpool french door refrigerator. The model number we had installed was WRS322FNAM. It fit in the existing space with a little modification to the floor. We had it professionally installed. We are very happy with it. It looks like it was put there by the factory.

Jeff and Cindy Harvey

2007 Intl 4400 DT570

2010 Carriage Carri-Lite 36MAX1

Be careful which brand you buy. Not all will honor their warranty if installed in a RV. I know for a fact from personal experience that Frigidaire will not. Samsung says they will, but I haven't had to test that one. And, make sure to plug in the frig before installing to make sure you didn't get the one-in-a-million that was defective. It never occurred to us to do this. That's how I know Frigidaire won't honor their warranty.

Gene, Gayle, & Oliver-(the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ
2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

We had to replace our Dometic 4 door last July after replacing 3 cooling units and one complete frig changeout. Those were all covered under warranty by Dometic. In the previous 12 months we had to purchase and use a small dorm size frig for 5 months because the Dometic was such a lemon. When it went out again in June we purchased a Samsung rf18 and had it installed. It was the ONLY frig we could find that would fit due to depth. The installer still had to move the kitchen island over an inch. We did not install the inverter and extra batteries because we rarely boondock. After installation we traveled through Needles, CA when it was 114. The frig did fine, I froze some blocks of ice and put them in the frig section. The temperature when we stopped was around 45 but cooled quickly. When we travel I put 1 piece of Velcro on the frig handles. I also used spring loaded curtain rods inside so that the contents stay put on the shelves.

After having the rv frig's in the past 3 rigs this frig is great. It's nice having hard ice cream. The inside of the frig is huge compared to the Dometics or Norcolds. Get a good installer, well worth it.

Jan & Thomas

2012 Drv Mobile Suite 5'r

2012 Ford F350 Super Duty

We roll with a Samsung french door. Can't remember the name but it has a TV in the door. My wife thought that was cool and forced us to get it :)

Pretty solid after a few years but it does jiggle during road travel.

Jayco Featherlite TT

Mets Fan

5 States to GO!

Owner of BasicRV.com

Discount RV Covers, Parts and Supplies

Unbelievable. Now I'm going to hide this post so my DW doesn't see it. She might want one for the s&b. :ph34r:

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

LOL

We don't have a TV in the fridge but we ordered a Kitchenaid 22 cuft with bottom freezer. DW hates the freezer on the bottom but loves the room up top for refrigerator section. We had a Samsung SbS in our S&B and loved it. It was 25 cuft and would not fit.

Hey, it keeps my ice cream frozen and the milk cold so who am I to complain?!?

:rolleyes::lol:

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

In my research for a new frig I have found the AJ Madison site the most informative vs Home Depot or Lowes. AJ Madison includes the weight of the frigs as well as the energy consumption which I did not find on HD or Lowes. I had heard Samsung uses less energy then Whirlpool but that may or may not be the case and also each model year may be different?

I thought these links to a couple of frigs on AJ Madisons website would be of interest to this thread. In case of typo's on my part please do check the actual site to verify the info.

I don't know why the smaller units take more energy to run?? Unfortunately some listed gross weights and others net so the weights should only be used for ballpark figures and confirm before you purchase.

This 17.5 cubic foot weighs 231 lbs. this refrigerator uses 594 kWh/yr.

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/RF18HFENB.html?brand_store=1

This 21.8 cubic foot is 251 lbs. and Energy Usage:

433 kWh/Yr.

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/RF220NCTA.html?brand_store=1

Here is some info on another brand for comparison purposes.

This Whirlpool 19.6 cu ft. lists gross weight as 255 lbs. and uses 425 kWh/yr.

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/WRF560SMY.html

This Whirlpool 24.8 cu ft. lists a gross weight of 35 lbs. and uses 445 kWh/yr.

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/WRF535SMB.html

• 1 month later...

We swapped out the Norcold RV fridge in our Carri-Lite with a Whirlpool french door refrigerator. The model number we had installed was WRS322FNAM. It fit in the existing space with a little modification to the floor. We had it professionally installed. We are very happy with it. It looks like it was put there by the factory.

I looked up the model and could only find a side by side with that model #?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool-33-in-W-21-6-cu-ft-Side-by-Side-Refrigerator-in-Monochromatic-Stainless-Steel-WRS322FNAM/204774851

Have you ever been in a house with French doors? They are side by side and go all the way to the floor. So that model would fit the description of French doors. I hope this helps.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

How does the weight of the residential refrigerator compare with the RV one that's being replaced?

My current RV side by side frig is 238 lbs

A Samsung French Door that I am considering is 232 lbs

The GE French Door that I really want because it has wire baskets in the freezer instead of plastic is 286 lbs. Also the GE is shorter than the Samsung but the same width so will fit in the existing space with less alterations. It is not counter dept but the difference between my current frig and the GE in depth is 4 inches. The frig box and the opening are the same depth, the difference is the door and handle. My thinking is that the doors will be able to open all the way and not get stopped by the counter.

The reason I wanted the wire baskets instead of plastic is for air circulation and in my shopping for frigs I saw a plastic freezer drawer on display that was damaged. If you were to drop a frozen item the basket may be sturdier that cold plastic?

My tv is on the same side as the frig and we replaced the tube TV with a flat screen several years ago and saved a lot of weight there.

We have had the rig in the shop for a month with quite a laundry list of maintenance and a few "want to haves". Will have to make my frig choice in the next couple of weeks.

In my research for a new frig I have found the AJ Madison site the most informative vs Home Depot or Lowes. AJ Madison includes the weight of the frigs as well as the energy consumption which I did not find on HD or Lowes. I had heard Samsung uses less energy then Whirlpool but that may or may not be the case and also each model year may be different?

I thought these links to a couple of frigs on AJ Madisons website would be of interest to this thread. In case of typo's on my part please do check the actual site to verify the info.

I don't know why the smaller units take more energy to run?? Unfortunately some listed gross weights and others net so the weights should only be used for ballpark figures and confirm before you purchase.

This 17.5 cubic foot weighs 231 lbs. this refrigerator uses 594 kWh/yr.

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/RF18HFENB.html?brand_store=1

This 21.8 cubic foot is 251 lbs. and Energy Usage:

433 kWh/Yr.

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/RF220NCTA.html?brand_store=1

Here is some info on another brand for comparison purposes.

This Whirlpool 19.6 cu ft. lists gross weight as 255 lbs. and uses 425 kWh/yr.

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/WRF560SMY.html

This Whirlpool 24.8 cu ft. lists a gross weight of 35 lbs. and uses 445 kWh/yr.

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/WRF535SMB.html

I would be careful, some of the descriptions are not correct.

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41 RSSB4 5th Wheel

Our coach came with a GE Profile refer. It has been running of a MSW inverter. Many want do this and you have to install a dedicated PSW. Only problem in 5 years was the start relay went out 2 weeks ago. With RR you have t pull them out once a year and clean lent from the coils/condenser so your compressor want run hot.

Ron
US Army retired
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2016 Ford F150 XLT

Our coach came with a GE Profile refer. It has been running of a MSW inverter. Many want do this and you have to install a dedicated PSW. Only problem in 5 years was the start relay went out 2 weeks ago. With RR you have t pull them out once a year and clean lent from the coils/condenser so your compressor want run hot.

Thank you for the tip, good idea to clean once a year especially in the RV which probably gets more dust than in a sticks n bricks.

Not going to get an inverter as we no longer dry camp our travel days are never more than 3 or 4 hours (10 am to 1/2pm) stopping for full hook ups each afternoon and we usually park for a month or so at a time.

Along those lines the installer mentioned the GE draws more power than the Samsung? I don't quite understand as the amp for each frig is listed as 15?

Archived