Auto Levelers

floncto

If I installed an auto leveling system on my fiver, what determines whether I need a four or six leveler system-- Is it trailer weight or trailer frame construction? I assume if it is frame construction, the smaller the frame members, the more levelers needed.

2005 F-250 6.0 Liter Diesel

2007 Coachmen Wyoming 325 RLTS

2 Shih Tzu's - Squirt (Mom), BeBe (Baby)

Ours is 37' and the BigFoot works great. Strong enough to raise all eight (yes 8) tires off the ground for maintenance. I love the one button convenience. We both think it is the best RV investment we ever made.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

The trailer title is deceiving. It's actually 38 ft with triple slides. The Wyoming line was discontinued in about 2009 or 10, and Coachman customer service isn't good, so I'll try it but don't expect much.

2005 F-250 6.0 Liter Diesel

2007 Coachmen Wyoming 325 RLTS

2 Shih Tzu's - Squirt (Mom), BeBe (Baby)

Levels are great, but don't hold your breath on the "auto" part. I have HWH and it was telling me both ends of the trailer were low at the same time (HUH??). Bubbles don't lie, installed next to the controller.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

We have very pleased with our Quadra Big Foot auto leveling system. Another suggestion would be to contact Quadra (4 Big Foot) and Lippert (6 Level Up feet) and see if they have done any installations on your fifth wheel model or if they would/could. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

I talking to Big Foot, it is based on frame size and the resulting stiffness. We have 4 point leveling on our 40' Champagne, but it does have a 14" frame, not a 12". Big Foot is now offering an upgrade to six-point leveling as an add on to our 4-point system for those that feel it will help stabalizing the rig.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

When I bought mine had a 6 point Lippert autoleveler. So far has worked with no problems. Mine is 37 foot Keystone Fuzion. The only complaint or worry so far is when raising or lowering the legs I get the kegs surging like and you get a crick sound as it sits. I have you can take ou a quart of fluid and replace with an additive from Cat that will solve that problem. If I had an option or choice would have went with Big Foot.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

• 3 weeks later...

We had a 6-point Big Foot auto level system installed on our 36 toy hauler last May. Worth every penny. Big Foot recommended the 6-point be installed on ours because of need to put the rear jacks further back due to the rear door and fuel tank on the toy hauler. This system is fantastic!

Safe travels. :)

Sniper & Sweet P

Escapees 124743 H.O.C. 1371

I for the life of me don't see the benefit in it. Yes if buying new but not an upgrade. Mine is electric and manual stabilizer in rear. Very simple and easy to replace. I can set it up very fast. Now I can't bring tires off the ground but I got a bottle jack for that.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I for the life of me don't see the benefit in it. Yes if buying new but not an upgrade. Mine is electric and manual stabilizer in rear. Very simple and easy to replace. I can set it up very fast. Now I can't bring tires off the ground but I got a bottle jack for that.

Ours had hydraulic front legs and electric rear stabilizers, before we had the 6-point Big Foot Auto Leveling System installed. There is simply no comparison in how much easier it is to set up (unhook, hit a button and 2 minutes later it's level), how much more solid the stabilization, and with the key fob I simply have to hit the button and our toy hauler goes back to the same height we unhooked from. Setting up a tripod under the king pin is a thing of the past. After having one, I no I would never own another RV without it.

Safe travels. :)

Sniper & Sweet P

Escapees 124743 H.O.C. 1371

Agreed. I have the 6-pt Level Up on my current 5er (forced option) and ordered it on my previous 5er. Did not have it on my first 5er.

The vast majority of sites are level enough that 2x12s under the tires on one side can level the coach and it takes less than 10 min to do it.

This is just another system that can go wrong. Happened to me twice on my previous coach, once in the middle of nowhere. The system has choked a few times on my current coach, but a quick removal and replacement of the inline fuse resets the "brain".

Is it convenient? Yes. Is it a "must have"? IMO, no.

Agreed. I have the 6-pt Level Up on my current 5er (forced option) and ordered it on my previous 5er. Did not have it on my first 5er.

The vast majority of sites are level enough that 2x12s under the tires on one side can level the coach and it takes less than 10 min to do it.

This is just another system that can go wrong. Happened to me twice on my previous coach, once in the middle of nowhere. The system has choked a few times on my current coach, but a quick removal and replacement of the inline fuse resets the "brain".

Is it convenient? Yes. Is it a "must have"? IMO, no.

So I'll express the opposite opinion. I've had Bigfoot on four 5ers since 2003. I would never own a rig without them. They are far more convenient and allow changing a tire very easily. I agree they are not "required"...in fact, very few of the items in an RV are "required". Mostly they are a convenience. And at least in my case they are a"required" convenience. :)

In Glenn's case, since he moves very infrequently, I can see why he feels they are not needed. But for those of us that move around more they are VERY convenient, IMO.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Our rig has the 4 place Level Up system. Seems plenty stiff. Super fast and convenient for all the reason already mentioned. Will never have another rig without one.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

I have independent jacks on front, crank down stabilizers in rear. Honestly after I get loose from truck, in less than 10 minutes we are level. The dually causes me more time due to having to lift so high to unhook. That will soon be over!!! I know ya'll push a button but mine is simplicity, simple, and I can fix it easily when it gives trouble.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Isn't it great to have the ability to have or not have RV options to fit everyone's different desires!

Ford vs GM vs Ram, MH vs fifth wheel vs travel trailer. Auto levelers vs manual levelers. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

• 2 years later...

Does anyone recognize this leveler controller?  I want instructions on how to use it.  I'd go to the net to find the manual, but I don't know what it is.

The round switch on the upper left of the panel is apparently an on/off switch added by persons unknown.

43631711235_d480375d23_c.jpgIMG_1008  Mystery jack system controls. by philethier, on Flickr

pethier, interested in toyhaulers for 13-foot car

He's got it on multiple sub-forums here, and other sites, as well. Already answered. EqualizerSystems, but this one looks to be well Frankensteined.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, Darryl&Rita said:

He's got it on multiple sub-forums here, and other sites, as well. Already answered. EqualizerSystems, but this one looks to be well Frankensteined.

Thanks.  I wonder if the original installation was Equalizer Systems.  This is on a 2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C built on a Chevrolet Kodiak chassis.  Engine is 8.1L gasoline.  

If the original was Equalizer Systems, someone may have put in a completely different control system and mounted the switches in the Equalizer Systems plate just because that plate fit in the Kodiak council.

pethier, interested in toyhaulers for 13-foot car

Quick guess: the switches quit and were replaced with hardware store stock. Without hands on, that's the most likely. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Archived