Florida... no options?

I don't see other people panicking, but this sure looks ominous to me. I'm currently in Broward County, so maybe it's different elsewhere, but I'm seeing no PPO plans through ACA, and no EPO plans with national networks. Blue Cross supposedly does, but all they list is drugstores and equipment providers, and upon calling them, the woman confirmed, sort of. I'm not sure she knew what she was talking about. Even if I forego the tax credit, all I see are some United PPO plans, I don't know what their networks are like.

Is it different in other counties? Broward is ground zero for medical fraud, so maybe that's it. Ultimately I'll be changing to another Florida address, but right now, I don't see any way to get onto a national network. When I'm out of state, I think the best coverage I can get is 50% with a 12K deductible.

But others must be finding plans with national networks, or there would be a lot more noise here. What options are others seeing?

Here are titles of a couple of the threads you might find useful:

Anyone moving to Florida for a PPO?

and

Who is losing their PPO health plans?

I think there was another, but I can't find it. They were more active prior to Nov.1 when the Health Place Marketplace website finally had all the 2016 options (or lack thereof) available for public perusal. Sorry I can't link (not real computer savvy) but maybe someone else can, and maybe someone else knows the title/link of that other thread I can't find.

Full-timing and enjoying every minute.

Blog: www.agingonwheels.com

I went to Healthcare.gov and browsed available plans. I entered the zip code of 33301 and selected Broward County. There were 34 EPO plans listed as being available.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Roger, there are EPO's. but nothing with out-of-state networks. They look like the best among bad options, but I want to be sure I'm not overlooking anything.

The more helpful thread is in another section, that's why I couldn't find it. Here's a link in case a search lands somebody here.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=120035

Fl Blue (BSBS) has combo EPO/PPO plans. They are EPO in state and PPO out of state. The Blue Options plans have more provider choices in state than the Blue Select plans. Also WalGreen's is excluded from the Blue Select plan according to the Learn More About Networks popup I'm seeing on the FL Blue website.

If you don't understand the plans, call Kyle or a Fl Blue agent.

Also Blue Select plans are not offered in all Fl counties.

Sue

2008 Newmar KGDB with dual desk setup and 55" HDTV - for sale soon
2020 Advanced-RV Mercedes Sprinter van - on order
past full-timer for 8 yrs, now-seasonal

I can see where it is confusing because the healthcare.gov site doesn't mention PPO. What you want to look for is a Yes to National Provider Network, but remember the network size is not the same for all insurance plans. I know BCBS's is 90% of the country, but have no idea how large the national networks are for other insurance companies.

If you go to FL Blue's website, you'll see the plans say PPO/EPO or EPO/PPO. (They've been making changes to the order.)

Sue

Well, I did provider searches on all the Blue networks and didn't find a single doctor or hospital out of state. I can get durable medical equipment in-network at Nordstrom's.

I called Florida Blue, and they told me none of the EPO plans have multi-state networks. I'm not sure the woman really knew what she was talking about, but I went over it 3-4 times to be sure. And she said I wouldn't be in other states BCBS networks. She did that say I'm "covered" out of state, but apparently that only means out-of-network coverage, 50% and 12K deductible. Better than nothing, the other EPO plans don't even offer that.

I did a quick evaluation of moving back to RI, where I have many friends and relatives. I could get a real national BCBS PPO plan for about $2500/year less. Depending on town, car & trailer tax would probably be less, and the state income tax doesn't usually affect me much. The only thing is, the PPO might go away in 2017.

Were you checking FL's provider data base? If you were, you can't check FL Blue's provider database for providers in other states. You have to check the national BCBS database.

http://provider.bcbs.com

Multi-state and PPO are not the same thing. As far as Florida is concerned, you're looking for an EPO/PPO plan that has the Blue Card, which is Blue Options or Blue Select.

I currently have one of the FL Blue Options plans and it clearly says PPO on my card.

Car registration and drivers license fees are nothing compared to large provider bills for going to an out of network dr.

Sue

We have been covered by BCBS of Florida (Florida Blue) since we started fulltiming in 2003 (actually, long before). We changed the policy several years ago but the experience did not change. We have never had a problem finding in-network providers where ever we were. I simply log into the Florida Blue web site with my username and password then choose find provider. I enter the zip code of our current location and what type of medical services we need.

For example, last year we needed to have lab work done while in North Carolina and the year before I sprained my ankle in San Diego, California and needed an urgent care clinic. In 2012 I was diagnosed with cancer while we were in Arizona and before that Toni had a cancer scare while we were visiting Wyoming. In all cases we were able to find an in-network provider nearby and get the treatment we needed.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

I'm glad you've been able to get it to work, because I'm currently signed in to FL Blue and I can't get it to work for out of state addresses.

Sue

Well, a search on zip code 02901 turns up nothing but equipment providers, for both BlueSelect and BlueOptions. I mentioned the Blue Card when I called BCBS but she thought it was just a promotional discount card that had nothing to do with coverage. Darned if I can find any definitive info using a web search. Maybe time to find an agent.

I'm approaching Medicare age, so I'm evaluating RI residency for a couple of years. The offerings are much better and that's where family is. I might even keep the Florida plates; even if I got a ticket and had to pay the car/RV tax, it might be worth it. Although depending on the town, the tax can be pretty ridiculous, Providence charges about 6% of the value each year. Ouch.

The link I posted in my last post is not the correct one to use to look for national providers. I was just showing Roger K4RS that it no longer works to search for Blue Card providers. Sometime in the last year, the website was changed and no longer points to the national database. The correct link to search for Blue Card providers is:

http://provider.bcbs.com

Have you talked to Kyle? He understands the Blue Card program and can help you and anyone else needing assistance.

Sue

Archived