1999 Volvo VNL 610 gauge cluster issues / trouble shooting

CHIEFWAHO

1999 Volvo VNL 610 gauge cluster issues (Cummins M11)

When we first got the truck gauge cluster was working intermittently. Now it does not work at all.

When I say not working it is the following: Speedo, Tach, Temp, Oil, Boost.

I believe the cluster itself is ok, as I do the self testing (bulb, gauge, buzzer) they all appear to test ok.

The bulbs all light up during test. The gauges go thru the half, full, half, zero testing. The buzzer/beeper with warning lights appear to test out ok.

Fuses have been checked.

My next step was checking power and grounds at the cluster connector plugs using the attached schematic link.

I am getting voltage to the pins marked 12 volt supply (connectors 1 & 4).

I then started testing for ground continuity. I get continuity between the grounds on Connector 1, Pin 9 & 12 and Connector 4, Pin 11.

Next I checked continuity from those ground pins to the chassis and I Do Not get continuity.

Should these grounds have continuity with chassis? Or do they get grounded thru the ECU?

Schematics

http://www.dmbruss.com/images/Schematics/V5_PV776_370_99090_4_Instrumentation_AllEngines_VolvoD12_B3_99_Others_B3_99.pdf

1999 Volvo VNL610, Cummins M11 - 350/400 HP, 10 speed Rockwell - 'CHIEF'

Custom flatbed with TrailerSaver air hitch.

3 cyl 8000 watt Kubota diesel generator.

New Mexico April 2019.jpg

Did you buy the HDT from an older gentleman in Hesperia CA? If so, I remember looking at that HDT. I was about ready to buy it. During the test drive, the oil pressure gage went to zero and I panicked. The owner basically said we will drive it back to his house and he opened the dash and wiggled some wires around to "fix the problem." I told him that I was not comfortable with what just occurred and declined to purchase.

Somewhere on the forum, someone did a write up on Gen I dash gage problems. As I recall (??), the problem was cold solder joints on the dash circuit boards, which caused intermittent problems.

Check the resource guide. Or, maybe some one can chime in to help you find the thread.

Jim

Did you buy the HDT from an older gentleman in Hesperia CA?

I believe the guy (Bill Ramsey) that converted the truck was from Hesperia. There was another owner between he and I.

Original owner/builders for sale theread: http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=103906

The Gen I Volvo Instrument Cluster Repair is located in this thread: http://www.hhrvresource.com/node/209

I took my cluster apart for inspection and found no broken solder joints.

With the self test appearing to function as it should and the intermittent operation before they quit lead me to think broken wire somewhere.

I have issues with my dash cluster. I went with a silver leaf software package and dash mounted small note book. It by passes the dash and feeds from the diagonistic plug under the dash. I sure would like to find someone to rebuild the female plugs on the cluster.

Good luck.

JB

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

I believe the guy (Bill Ramsey) that converted the truck was from Hesperia. There was another owner between he and I.

Original owner/builders for sale theread: http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=103906

That was the truck.

Some additional information (for what it is worth). When Mr. Ramsey and I returned to his home, he opened up the dash. And, he seemed to know what wires to wiggle to get the gages working again. Perhaps, he would be of some help to you. Also, when he opened the dash, I observed new cable ties inside the area where he was working, which led me to believe that there had been recent work on the wiring.

BTW - Bill was very much a gentleman. My wife and I drove from our house to Hesperia (about a two hour one-way drive). We looked at the truck and she approved of the purchase. So I told her to go on home, the truck looked really good, but I wanted to test drive it. Bill and I went through all of the literature and I looked at his project car and then we took it for a test drive (when the oil gage went to zero).

Even after I told him I was not going to buy the truck, he and his wife drove me back home so my wife would not have to come get me. That is a fine gentleman!

Bill took a lot of pride in that truck and I recall the bed layout (his design) was very impressive.

Jim

CHEIFWAHO does your Driver Display work?

If the driver display burns out in a certain way...(I've seen several types of DD failures), it will stop the speedo & tach from working, the only gages that will work when that happens is oil, & turbo pressure.

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

CHEIFWAHO does your Driver Display work?

If the driver display burns out in a certain way...(I've seen several types of DD failures), it will stop the speedo & tach from working, the only gages that will work when that happens is oil, & turbo pressure.

Rick

The digital display on the cluster appears to function fine. That is how I was able to run the cluster self testing.

I have issues with my dash cluster. I went with a silver leaf software package and dash mounted small note book. It by passes the dash and feeds from the diagonistic plug under the dash. I sure would like to find someone to rebuild the female plugs on the cluster.

Good luck.

JB

I may have to look into the software and notebook option.

I played around with the gauge cluster a little before our weekend trip to Arkansas.

It appears that the problem my lie in the gauge cluster plug connections.

Wiggling the plugs around I could get the gauges would work.

I shimmed some small pieces of a drinking straw into the plugs to force a tighter fit.

They worked (all but speedo) flawlessly for a couple hours of driving but then only intermittently after that.

I guess that is progress?

the Plugs on the circuit board need to be re-soldered..... they have hair-line cracks in the solder...

in the last few years ive fixed probably 20 of these clusters.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

loe10 Where are you and would be willing to fix mine?

Thanks

JB

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

loe10 Where are you and would be willing to fix mine?

Thanks

JB

JB,

im in carson city,Nevada for a while.. i dont mind resoldering these clusters. i take care of a parent with advanced alzheimers 24 hours a day so your looking at

me having the cluster probably a week or a bit more. if you can handle being without the cluster for that long (plus shipping time both ways) your more than welcome to ship it

over here and i can resolder all the stuff as i have time during the week.

feel free to shoot me a PM here at escapees if you want me to try resoldering it. Understand there are NO guarantees. i do this kind of HDT stuff for fun and i enjoy it.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

Archived