Joined the MDT club today!

Bobi and Dick McKee

Wow, that is great ! Right now at 350 / 1050 engine setup (not turned up to 380 / 1250 yet), I am getting 13 MPG on the highway empty and when towing with a trailer at about 25,000 lbs, I get 7 mpg. Turning the engine up, your mileage does improve. In 7000 miles, I have used 9 gallons of DEF.

The trailer empty weight is listed as 17000. I have an appointment with Weigh it to Go on the 26th on our way out of town. I have used him in the past because I like to know my trailer and truck tire loads, and pin weight. When I get those numbers I adjust the tire pressure the manufacturers recommendations +10%. I'm figuring we will be in the 20000 pound range when loaded. The truck is also equipped with a Trailer Saver hitch, and I added the third air bag to take the max pin weight to 7500. As mentioned in Pugs post we do have the 380/1250 option on the engine.

Pug I sent you a PM but you can disregard I see the answers above my BAD. I would have to agree that adding 250 pounds of torque and 30 more horse power would require less throttle once it's rolling etc and therefore would get better mileage. Great information guys. I should be taking delivery of my truck around the first of June. Most of the time I will only be pulling about 10,000 pounds and about once a month I will be pulling a 16,000 pound 6 horse trailer.

Archived