Anyone moving to Florida for a PPO?

My wife has 7 more years before medicare. She had a PPO with bcbstx that will be dropped next year. There is one PPO in Texas that she can sign up for at a 230 per month increase in premium for slightly less coverage.

The same policy is available in Florida for $100 per month less.

The alternative is to stay in TX on an HMO, but doesn't seem very appealing at first glance.

Is anyone else looking at moving to Florida because of this? Other than the nonsense with vehicle inspections and registration fees, I don't see much difference for us.

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!

Florida is CHANGING for the worst. Many folks are moving into Florida from the failures of many BIG SPENDING failures in the northern states and demanding the same freebees in Florida. Much depends on the areas that you go to live. There are still some places in North Florida that are sane. Unlike much of South Florida in the West Palm area, it can be the same as living in New Jersey!

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

With the changing landscape of healthcare in many states, there's more than just taxes, and registration fees to take into account now as far as a domicile is concerned. With fewer & fewer PPO's being offered, you certainly have to do a little homework before you decide where to set roots.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

With the changing landscape of healthcare in many states, there's more than just taxes, and registration fees to take into account now as far as a domicile is concerned.

I agree with this, but it has always been true. Many folks only look at those issues but you really should consider any number of other issues. I met a lady who got tangled up with the issue of common law marriage when she chose to leave a travel partner and have heard several stories of estate issues. It is often the thing we failed to consider that jumps up to bite us!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have found the physical address issue my key headache so FL is all that is left for ease of address unless you have a relative elsewhere.

FL is too far off my travels and don't want to count on the insurance PPO remaining. So for now I am going with ND where I have a relative for mail and also have land. I still will have to pay taxes in WI where my computer based job is located but will have the BlueCard network in ND that covers me out of state.

I figure I only will use insurance if something major happens unexpectedly on the road at this point and will probably be with my sister in ND anyway if I need that kind of medical attention.

I am often amused in discussions of this sort, how often we fall into the mode of "my state is better than yours!" I have done a lot of research on such debates over the years and there just isn't one state that is best for everyone. That is probably a good thing or that one state might quickly get packed full of RV folks.

If you are lucky, you may never have any issue beyond driver's licenses and vehicle registrations, but to check only that does set you up for some very serious problems in the future if your luck should fail you.

I can understand the desire to reestablish domicile to get PPO, but weigh all the costs. Any state exchanges can drop PPO plans at any time. I live in Mich and PPO's are safe, for one more year, but certainly no assurances. If I were looking fresh I would look more at how dedicated states are to health care revision which may come down to whether they have expanded medicaid and the predominant political party.Florida does not do great under that standard. States that have expanded medicaid and without a large pool of uninsured or hx of a large uninsured population are more likely to continue to offer PPO's.

Dave and Lana Hasper

You're right. I'm mving fromTexas and the only advantages that I have experienced in the past 4 years is taxes. Thanfully, I don't own property there or I would get clobbered with property taxes. Texas and Florida seem to be in a rush to the bottom for health care with the only dfferenfce is Florida stilloffers PPOs. Moving from one to the other is trivial when I have no physical ties to either state.

I may have to look at other states, but since the only taxes I now pay are to register and license, for the moment, that's as far as I look. Any other state is going to have their hands out when it comes to retirement or regular income. I would just as soon keep it. If there are other states to consider, I'm all for it. I'mjust not sure which one would work.

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!

Here are a few articles that may help. For those of us who are already on Medicare, TX does seem to be a pretty good choice. Fortunately, I've not had the experience of dealing with the ACA results outside of Medicare.

Kiplinger's Analysis of 2015 premium costs

Consumer Affairs reviews of health insurance companies

Kiplinger Guide to picking the best health insurance

In looking at health insurance rates for a PPO alone, it seems that Washington and Alaska are the two states without income tax and reasonable vehicle registration fees. While having Alaska plates is appealing and if we get a new coach or car, no sales tax is definately appealing. At my age, I will definitaely have to return to get my lkicense renewed, but we've been there before and are going again this summer. My wife is 58 and probably can get one more renewal by mail.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!

Archived