Staying in Colorado area for the winter with our HDT. Need help on care for our truck.

Sunflwrgirl

Hello fellow HDT drivers,

We are currently in Colorado and have decided to stay here for the winter. Knowing that it can get fairly cold my husband is already doing the skirting and situating the things we are fully aware that need to be done. However, I am a bit lost on the extent that we should go for our HDT. We own a 2001 Volvo automatic. We have plans to plug it in for the entire winter. Should we start it at all? As we have been running for least 30 min to an hour every 2 weeks through the summer. Should we put anything in the fuel to keep it from freezing? Have read that truckers do this when driving over the road in cold areas. Should we have a certain amount of fuel in it?

We will be living in the Fort Collins area and it is known to not get as cold here as the Springs or Denver but still much colder than that of which we are used to with our HDT.

Dont know if I am missing any questions to ask. Honestly every bit of schooling that anyone has to offer us will be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Phyllis

Others with more experience will chime in, but I would do as follows:

Top off the tanks after the winter blend fuel is available (might be now in some areas) and add an anti-gel like Howes.

If you are anywhere near due for an oil change do it just before it is parked.

Have the coolant checked.

Disconnect the battery grounds and put a battery tender on the batteries.

Leave it sit until spring. Starting cold and not getting it up to operating temp is worse than just sitting. In the spring plug in the block heater for a while before starting.

Up until we became snow birds ours sat all winter in an unheated barn in Northern Illinois, every winter for about six years, no problems. Now it sits that way during the summer. Had it out early in October, first time it had run since April.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

I personally would get a snow shovel and put it on the back of the truck. Start driving south and when someone asks what that is you are far enough south to avoid the snow. :P:P

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Winter in Ft Collins is not all that extreme. The coldest overnight lows are usually around 20F and the days after those cold nights are usually back up near 50F. Snowfall is also light and intermittent in Ft Collins. It will snow ocassionally all winter, but usually its a few inches or less at a time and its gone when the sun comes out. Most years have one period when multiple storms hit in a row and the snow builds up for a while.

Keeping the fuel tanks full helps reduce condensation within the tanks. I would treat the fuel with an anti-gel treatment and keep a trickle charge on the batts. Starting it for short periods during cold weather is probably worse than just letting it sit til spring.

Keep an eye out for heavy condensation inside your RV when its closed up during those cold spells. Between your exhaled breathe, heating by propane and higher humidity, lots of moisture builds up inside when living in a closed box.

Jim

I didn't disconnect the batteries, but I have a good battery charger on my batteries and the truck sits for many months winter and summer without starting. In summer it would start right away, in a winter "it was a trip" few times, didn't like it, even with the block heater which I had installed before the first winter. Not having the "winter fuel" was one of the problems, but the can of 911 could usually coax it into starting (and lots of white smoke).

But it was usually rewarded for starting in the winter, I would take it (and the trailer) down south for the winter, without the snow shovel.

As others have said fill the fuel tanks and use antigel. If the oil is anywhere near changing it should be done before winter. Check the antifreeze and keep the batteries charged. I would not start it. Anywhere in Colorado cold spells with temps well below 0 are to be expected but these are usually short in duration. Maybe only a couple of days to a week. These cold spells are more common east of the Rockies so be prepared.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Ft Collins doesn't usually get that cold. I am in NW Colorado, and usually only plug my truck in a day before I plan on using it. My truck is a 99, so doesn't have all the electronics, so I just disconnect the batteries so there is no drain on them.

As stated above, put winter blend in the fuel tanks, and some type of anti-gel additive. I use Power Service, and haven't had any issues to date. Last year we were down around -30* for a couple days, and didn't hurt the truck.

Have your coolant checked to make sure it is good for 0*, and drain the air tanks (wet tank for sure).

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

Beautifully area! We do love it here and if we were ever forced to settle in some place it would be close to the Fort Collins area. But am hoping that is many years from now. haha Our children have made roots here and we are needed for the winter as well as my husband is tending to his health. Do hope to be headed for Florida this time next year..

Until last evening, we thought we were heading that way in a couple of day. My sister-in-laqw and her hubby have a place at red Feather Lakes. But, it's not to be, for now.

Just up the road and around the corner from you is some mighty good motorcycling. Rist Canyon Rd, is soooo fuuuunnnnnn.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Just up the road and around the corner from you is some mighty good motorcycling. Rist Canyon Rd, is soooo fuuuunnnnnn.

Not sure what shape that road is in anymore. Had a serious flood through there in the last 2 years (cant remember the date off hand). But you are correct, that road was fun.....

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

Hey guys we are still in Colorado too and I was wondering if we can put the battery tender on the post under the hood.

I believe it is used for jumping if the battery is low. Oh we have a 2000 t2000 KW, and our batteries are behind the passengers steps. It would be much easier that way. And as always thanks in advance.

Chip

Chip and Ruth

2000 Kenworth T2000 'Titus'

2006 Keystone Raptor 'Cletus'

2010 Smart 'Alyck'

Chip, I've always connected my BatteryMinder to the jump start lugs on my T2000, unless I had the batteries completely out of the truck. It's likely not as efficient as a direct connection, but it's done a fine job keeping them "up" that way on my truck.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Archived