MDT (M class) vs. Ram 3500 or Ford F450

jloux2012

On 10/27/2015 at 11:47 AM, jloux2012 said:

Hello All,

I am starting this topic to compile info in one spot for my husband.

We are planning on purchasing a DRV fullhouse soon. We need to up grade our F250 of course. Well, we have been looking at the Ram 3500 and the Ford F450.

I know everyone's situation is different, ours is that I will be commuting to my job, sometimes up to 50 miles one way (depending where we camp in relation to the location of the center for my company). We want a toyhauler to keep our RZR1000 and our smoker with us, so that leaves out a toad.

So basically, would a M2 class be the best option for us? Also, if you could give your opinion on why a larger truck would be better than the pickups.

I know one drv dealer and the sales rep for drv said F450.

Thank you for your time.

I bought a Ram 3500 for my DRV and have met several DRV owners that tow with a Ram 3500.  We have a small car to get around as it is much more fuel efficient and much easier TO maneuver and park then our DRW.  My wife follows me when I tow the rig.  She acts as a blocker for me when I need one.  It really works out great.  Drive your Jeep for sure.  As well as a commuter vehicle it could be a fun off road vehicle for your travels and adventures.

What dealer are you getting your DRV from?  Are you ordering it or just going to pick one up off the lot?

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

On 6/5/2016 at 8:49 PM, GlennWest said:

How much is pin on that full house DRV? I have heard DRV is reducing pin for LDT. I have also heard of "tail wagging" due to light pin and long distance behind axles. I rently upgraded from a 3500 dually 2012 for a HDT. There is no comparison in safety, comfort, braking and power. I haul a Smart and it is such a better commute than the dually. My Teton is just shy of 21k

Glenn, I had heard that there were some issues with a light pin weight.  I think they moved the axles to compensate for this.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

10 hours ago, Big5er said:

Better off on a bike? Really? And, yes I have seen several smart cars involved in accidents. They hold up better that you claim. And it is the ONLY car that will fit sideways.

Fortunately, not my opinion. What you buy is your own concern.  You can fight with the testers on that one.. Consumer Reports" gave a Smart 28 out of 100 possible points, earning it a spot on its "lowest scorers" list...actually lowest the last time I looked.  Sales figures show that the are a very low volume car.

For collision testing, cars are crashed into "like" cars. The Smart did not fare well.

And that was one of the considerations of buying a MDT over a HDT...   that is is essentially the only car that will fit sideways..

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

I being a two seater is one reason. It isn't a fancy car. It doesn't cost like one either. Fun to drive. Also it fits. I have never put much confidence in Consumers report. They will take the very same equipment with different name only and rate one high and other low. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/5/2016 at 11:36 AM, hone eagle said:

really grassy ?

how much road rash do you expect to get in a smart dump humm?

that is why you put on more than shorts and flipflops.

but as long as you ride right and some fool in a cage does not hit you you are very safe on a bike.

even in shorts and flipflops.

yes i ride for life.

Problem is, you're showing 2 different cars, from 2 different crash scenes. Sorta takes the wind out of your argument. Either way, something will reach out, and grab you. Nobody get's out alive.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Yup..one is a t top and the other hard top. 2 different accidents. Not sure how  either disproves my point but that is ok..

I understand. They are the only car that will fit on a class 7/8. however, they also achieved the lowest score ever given out by CR and dubbed the unsmart car. 

I thought the Mazda 2 would fit but they have been discontinued.

Thankfully, this is an issue that I don't have to grapple with (yet).

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

Grassy, the blue car in your second picture is NOT a smart. I guess you put that one on there to show that non smart car owners would survive that crash?

You might want to check your numbers again. I don't care if you drive a suburban, if you hit a semi head on at high speed, you will more than likely die

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Looks like one to me and that is how the picture was labeled.. but as both of us are high mileage drivers, we don't like them nor do we follow their upgrades. I have not idea what it could be except perhaps a Canadian model.

Most folks can justify anything... like getting up in a class A while it is hurling down the road to use the bathroom, do yoga or make sandwiches....and letting the kids walk around. Driving a motorcycle w/o a helmet nor protective gear..the list goes on..

Like I said... what you buy is your own concern.  .. but it not a great nor particularly safe car to drive.

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

Grassy. That vehicle has a spare tire mounted on the back, had 5 lug wheels instead of a smart car 3 or 4, no tridon cell and the taillights are not similar to ANY smart made.

I can label it a Cadillac Escalade but that doesn't make it one. Either way, your choice. I have laid down bikes twice in my life and the wife still has the scars from the second. In either one of those, I would not have had a scratch if I had been surrounded by steel.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

so somebody googled  smart car crash?  

all that proves is you can type

how about you type  motorcycle crash?

guess what -I bet you see some gruesome pictures too.

steel is better then skin.

physics wins every time

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Archived