Is WalMart moving away from RVers Welcome?

yourpcgeek49

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of years ago we were panhandled at the WM in Page, AZ. There were 4-6 people roaming the parking lot going to every truck and RV asking for money. They all would make a loop and then gather to apparently discuss their take. Unfortunately, their gathering place was right behind my rig and made us a bit uncomfortable but as soon as the sun went down they all went away and were not overly aggressive. Anyone here think it would have been prudent to drop them a $5 or $10 and consider it "protection" money well spent? Or would they just have told their brethren and have them hit me up too?

I'd not pay. We worked for our money so when I give it away, it is to help someone out. We don't pay extortion to Anyone. I don't give to beggars on street corners either. I just wasn't raised that way.

To me, if you were that uncomfortable, it probably would have been wiser to just move somewhere else. But you "gotta do what you gotta do". Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

It is a shame that our good intentions often do not help those in need. I no longer give directly to some one asking for money. If asked I respond that I have two jobs available - how soon would you like to start. They can wax the RV or the Toad. Never had anyone take me up on the work.

For some asking for money is their profession. A lady shared this idea with me years ago. She keeps the slips of paper you get from many Fast Food places when you call in and tell them how they are doing. They give you a code to write down for a free food item. She the offers this to someone that is asking for money.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

I've read online that Cabelas allows over night stays and dump sites. I've also read the opposite. Does anyone know for sure?

Some do; some don't. I usually check Google maps to see if I see facilities. It's usually best to call, though, because one that clearly had facilities had cops chasing away potential overnighters. I suspect it is like Walmart--company policy says yes but local ordinances sometimes says no.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Some do; some don't. I usually check Google maps to see if I see facilities. It's usually best to call, though, because one that clearly had facilities had cops chasing away potential overnighters. I suspect it is like Walmart--company policy says yes but local ordinances sometimes says no.

Linda Sand

I agree with Linda. Anywhere you go, you should find out if O.N.P. is OK. If you park out of the way so it don't interfere with their customers & don't make a fuss or a lot of noise, most places will let you stay. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

We always use Allstays and call ahead to check regardless of what it says on the site as local law always changes. We also follow the Escapees Good Neighbor policy and definitely go in and purchase something as we always need something anyway.

I am typing this as we sit in the WM lot in Kerrville, TX on our way to Quartzsite. We will overnight tomorrow at the Cattlemens Steakhouse in Fabens, TX and then another WM in Marana, AZ.

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/?m=1

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

GOD Bless All of our Troops!

"CHARACTER is doing the right thing when no one is looking"

'09 International Durastar 4400 LP Customized by 2L Custom Trucks

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

1221594356_ProfilePic.jpg.9b4d57a43f182efadbcaf4db7556bb2e.jpg

on the site mentioned, walmartatlas.com, I see one Walmart on the no park list that we were given permission to park at. We always ask and have not had any say no yet. Best policy is to ask them.

Pat and Pete, that doesn't surprise me at all. I can't recall the exact name without checking in our journal but a Walmart we stopped at along with several other RVers in Washington, SW of Seattle somewhere small nice town, we were told feel free when asked inside.

At close to midnight two wonderful WM employees knocked on our door to advise that we were more than welcome to stay as far as they were concerned, but that we would most likely get a knock in the early hours and receive a ticket (not a warning even) as city ordinance bylaw. Whilst very humble and grateful to these guys, we commented that there wasn't any signs to that effect as normally seen, and they said, "no, we've argued for that but they want to fine folks to get the extra revenue". WM was wonderful to us, the town philosophy in trapping tourists with fines, not so much so. Hence it does pay to ask. We were kindly redirected to another WM about 4 miles further north without restrictions to stay at.

As they say, "you don't know, what you don't know". Best to always ask.

I can't recall the exact name without checking in our journal but a Walmart we stopped at along with several other RVers in Washington, SW of Seattle somewhere small nice town, we were told feel free when asked inside.

At close to midnight two wonderful WM employees knocked on our door to advise that we were more than welcome to stay as far as they were concerned, but that we would most likely get a knock in the early hours and receive a ticket (not a warning even) as city ordinance bylaw. Whilst very humble and grateful to these guys, we commented that there wasn't any signs to that effect as normally seen, and they said, "no, we've argued for that but they want to fine folks to get the extra revenue". WM was wonderful to us, the town philosophy in trapping tourists with fines, not so much so. Hence it does pay to ask. We were kindly redirected to another WM about 4 miles further north without restrictions to stay at.

As they say, "you don't know, what you don't know". Best to always ask.

But you did ask, and were told it was okay to spend the night.

Only when someone knocked on your door at midnight (which would scare me) were you told something different and were rousted out. And how do you know which Walmart employee was actually right?

Also, who is Walmart arguing with about putting up signs? Are these two "wonderful" employees saying the city is prohibiting them from putting up signs so the cops can catch and fine unwary people? I highly doubt that. I can't imagine any scenario where this Walmart store would be prohibited from putting "no overnight parking" signs in their parking lot. If they want to blame it on the city, that's easy enough--I've seen lots of signs that cite the ordinance on the sign.

And if Walmart really cared, they wouldn't have their employees telling people two different things, necessitating a knock on someone's door at midnight (it's scary for me to get the knock, and I definitely wouldn't want to be knocking on somebody's RV door at midnight no matter what the reason--you never know what kind of nutjob might be in there).

I dunno Blue, all I can tell you is that we personally experienced these very pleasant pair with Walmart ID tags and waistcoats on (assuming went together for safety) knocking on not just ours but other doors, to give us all the heads up on the, what felt to us, mean way the fines are done by officialdom. Just sharing what we were told and what we experienced. Nothing more, nothing less. So yes it pays to ask, as we did at customer service when doing our shopping beforehand around 7pm earlier, but ........

When we moved to the second Walmart pronto for that particular night, we saw within the next half hour to 40 minutes most of our old RVing neighbours (for want of a better description) move to the new hood with us.

Since that experience, we now not only ask permission but also ask if they are aware of any city ordinance prohibitions etc. Walmart didn't have any problem with us staying, but out of courtesy this couple came to warn us what typically happens outside of their control.

Most of this no parking overnite came because people have abused the policy, for instance from a small city I came from In NE NY State the city enforces the ordinance. Some were setting up and staying long term and were emptying "Black Water" down the City runoff drains. :wacko::angry: Also using it for weekly and monthly stays to splurge on paying the local Campgrounds and State Parks. :o

Some have no respect and others pay the PIPER!! :huh::huh:

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Many here would disagree that anyone abuses the privilege some here have never seen that.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

When we see the no overnight signs on WalMart's lots there have been the city ordinance numbers on the bottom of the sign. It's then out of the hands of WalMart.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Now there will be fewer WM's in the U.S. Today WM announced they are closing 135 stores in this country, most of which are WalMart Express.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Most of the Walmart Express stores that I've noticed, had parking lots that were not generally suited to RV overnighting anyway, so the closings likely have little impact on that aspect.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Most of the Walmart Express stores that I've noticed, had parking lots that were not generally suited to RV overnighting anyway, so the closings likely have little impact on that aspect.

Looks to me as though Walmart is just returning to their core business as the big box discount store has always been the key to their success. When the economy is slow most large companies tend to draw back to what built their success originally.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The Walmart in Haines City Florida off Rt 27 had the biggest "No overnight parking allowed " sign I ever saw. It also has a vey large parking lot.Rt 27 is a busy tourist

route and the wal mart is within a few miles of the attractions. I have no idea why they do not allow overnight parking since abuse of the privileged is non existent. Being curious we did ask the on duty manager. Since abuse is non existent we will not talk about the reply.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We've see Walmarts in the mid-west that have height barriers across the entrance and exit avenues. Most were at the 10' mark. Since our Volvo is our daily driver we used the truck entrance for their delivery trucks and then had to drive around the store. Had several of their "security" guards look at us, but none told us to move after parking.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We've see Walmarts in the mid-west that have height barriers across the entrance and exit avenues.

If you look around, they usually have a rear entrance that has no such barrier because the semi that delivers store inventory needs to get into the lot. What most are actually trying to prevent is the overnight truck parking which brings in very little revenue, while RV folks usually do.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived