Replacing Firewall Pass Through

SuiteSuccess

After replacing o-rings and collets twice, I still have leaks in my 3/8" lines. Has anyone replaced their pass thru (the black panel in the pic) on their Volvo? If so how much is the part and how hard a job?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Suite,

I replaced mine the summer of 2014, along with the dash air valves, and engine pass thru wiring harness. Actually, I chickened out on the wiring harness after looking at it and not being able to figure out all the connections. Then after taking it to the dealer, found out it was the wrong harness. So much for the "last 4 of you're vin please" ending the possibility of mistakes. Anyway, the air manifold wasn't to bad, and I'm glad I got it done, not sure if I would have had the patience to do the rebuild, even if I would have known about it. I not sure about the cost right now, but I will check it out and let you know. I think it was around 350-500 bucks. If I can locate the invoice I'll edit this log with the correct amount. Didn't solve all my leaks, but helped a bunch.

Good luck, Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

Suite,

After checking your picture closer, I think we might be talking about a different pass thru. The one I replaced had 3, 1/4" lines plus 3, 3/8" lines, plus room for some more. I was also off on the price, the invoice shows a list price of $147.54, but I got a discount so price was $95.90. My dash brake valves were $512.46>$333.10. At that time I also replaced the cab leveling valve, $95.83>$62.30. Wiring harness ended up being list price because of shop install @ $996.48, + about $850.00 labor. No more oil all over the starter though. Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

Thank you ole timer. This weekend will look from inside and see what's involved. May be more than I should tackle. The part I'm talking about has the red, green, orange, and black lines as well as an electrical plug with all the wires. It does look like it just unscrews though.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Don't know when they changed but the "older" part has been replaced by 20990666 which has a different layout of the air lines. Could be confusing and tedious.

I have the new one I ordered off Amazon for $102.79 in the cab of the truck just waiting as the next project. The fittings have their function molded into the plastic on both the old and new but haven't checked whether they match.

If you do have the old style and do this before me please let us know how it goes.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

Ray,

Gonna try one more time with new collets , hose, and O-rings before I take the pass thru out. If I do change out will post.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl I have been thinking about this and I wonder if the air line ends are cut square. I have also wondered if it would help to slip a small screw driver blade under the edge of the collets when you push the line in to help hold it out and maybe make the fit against the O ring a little tighter.

Just curious if this would help cure the problem and then I could use that solution in the future. Always trying to help.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Thanks Brad. Gonna work on this this afternoon. Gonna replace the hoses, o rings, and clean out the connections with air to be sure no dirt or other build up. I was careful being sure hose was cut square. Also inspected the original o rings when I replaced and they were intact and didn't seem to have any chunks missing. Will report later on progress. Wish me luck.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Brad,

Did as above and have only one line with minimal leak now. Not enough to warrant replacing whole pass through manifold. Pulled back mat and looked at manifold from cab side and would be a job to replace. Discovered another problem now. Have dampness under mat so gonna have to pull seats and dry out and see if I can find leak. BTW experimented a bit and the hose slips inside the o-ring rather than flush against it as you can see from this Parker cut away.

http://www.parker.com/literature/Brass%20Products/Brass%20Product%20-%20Images/BUL.3501%20PTC-QRG.pdf

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I had no idea about that one Carl. Sure was a surprise to me. Congrats on getting them sneaky leaks stopped.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Carl

Having same problem with leaking fitting on firewall pass through. My problem is went to Volvo here in Flagstaff AZ and they could not find the D-seal (0-ring). Where did you get your seals?

2011 vnl730 D13 435/1650 I-shift singled mid 2015 Keystone Raptor 425ts 2015 Smart

Got mine from Volvo dealer here. They only had 3/8" no 1/4". Mr. Seas via Brad Dadle gave me a few 1/4" at the National Rally. What size do you need?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Tom,

If you can't find any, let me know and I'll send you couple. Easy to do yourself. Look at Mr. Seas instructions in this thread.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived