summerdude

Planning 2016 summer in N.CA&OR

We love nature,hikes,waterfalls,natural hot springs,musi and history.
Our next RV summer trip (from July-October) will start from LA and ends near Portland.
There is so much to see in a short time (4 Months only) so please help me out and suggest based on our interests what to see,where to camp (no boondocking).
Thank you

The Oregon coast is some of the most spectacular scenery along that route so plan to travel north via US101 from Eureka, CA up to the mouth of the Columbia River. Of course, there are also things to see that are inland so some side trips or even your return trip might be will to be farther to the east. Near Crescent City, CA is redwood country so make sure you plan some time there to see it. If you enjoy lighthouses, there are many of them along that stretch of coast and they are not all the same, so take time to visit several of them.

Farther south you should visit the Big Sur country but I don't recommend the RV to travel CA1 along that coast as it is restricted to vehicles of 25' in length, The Monterey area has a lot to see and the aquarium is one that you should be sure to see. We also enjoyed Pinnacles Natl. Park.

I remember a waterfall in northern California in a state park(this was 15 years ago). The waterfall came through lava, it was essentially spraying through the lava like a giant shower head. I have no idea where it was but maybe someone knows. I would love to go back.

Oregon means water of all kinds. Naturally, the coast is a must especially the state parks. There are some great lighthouses to view and tour, also. We gave tours at Heceta Head, a beauty. Here's a site for information on waterfalls and you'll find many around the Portland area.

http://traveloregon.com/see-do/natural-wonders/bodies-of-water/waterfalls/

Have fun planning this great trip!

We recently stayed at Champoeg State Park, S. of Portland. Nice park on the Willamette River, close to numerous wineries. Interesting history behind the location. Crater Lake and Bend are 2 nice areas in central OR.

I went through my logs and it was Castle Craig State Park. Thank you, I put it back on my bucket list.

Castle%20Craig%20SP-1_zpsbz2euyb5.jpg

Edited by SWharton

There is also a water fall app for your phone. I don't know what states it covers but we have downloaded our state(VA) and really like it.

I remember a waterfall in northern California in a state park(this was 15 years ago). The waterfall came through lava, it was essentially spraying through the lava like a giant shower head. I have no idea where it was but maybe someone knows. I would love to go back.

Burney Falls just north of Lassen Park is like that. Quite a nice campground there, too.

McArthur-Burney-Falls.jpg

We spent this past summer in WA, OR, & NCA - it was awesome. We were surprised by how cool (cold for some) it was on the coast when the rest of the country was roasting - we thoroughly enjoyed the weather. As you move away from the coast it wasn't as cool but it was still pretty nice. The OR state parks that we stayed at were awesome and would accommodate our rig - many have full hookup 50A sites. They are not the cheapest but the ones we stayed at were not as tight.

The most fun we had was riding the sandrails in Florence, OR (Sand Dunes NRA) and the Rogue River Jet Boats (Jerry's Jet Boats) in Gold Beach - both were awesome experiences that we are so very glad we did.

There is an incredible amount of beautiful places to visit and see that you can certainly stay busy.

There's a lot to see east of the Cascades, too. We particularly like Steens Mountain and Malheur National Wildlife Refuge both south of Burns, OR and the northeast corner of Oregon around Enterprise and Joseph, including Wallowa Lake State Park and the Eagle Cap Wilderness.

And then, of course, there are the three different units of the John Day Fossil Beds NM, Crater Lake NP, Newberry National Volcanic Monument south of Bend, and the Cascade Lakes Highway Loop southwest of Bend.

Edited by LindaH

"Farther south you should visit the Big Sur country but I don't recommend the RV to travel CA1 along that coast as it is restricted to vehicles of 25' in length,"

----

There's no length restriction anywhere on Hwy. 1 from Carmel to San Luis Obispo. Large/long rigs may have difficulty negotiating the curves along some (not all) stretches of Hwy. 1 through this area, but there's no "official" length restriction. Whether to drive 1 between these two points is more a matter of using common sense, i.e., knowing what type of roads can be navigated comfortably and safely in the rig one is driving. There are sections of sharp curves and ups and downs, but there are also several "straight" sections of wider lanes, particularly toward the southern part of the road.

A few caveats if one does want to drive Hwy. 1 (from Carmel >San Simeon): Don't drive it on weekends, including Fridays. Check the weather first; the purpose of the drive is the scenery, so if it's fogged in or raining, one sees nothing and fog/rain can make the drive dangerous. Use the pullouts when possible, and please don't park right in the middle of the space. Traffic is often heavy, a lot of people drive too fast for conditions (cars and motorcycles), and a few will try to pass when it's a real dumb idea to do so; be watchful.

The OP (and anyone else who wants to drive this stretch of Hwy. 1) might want to get an idea of the road be checking out Mile by Mile and/or Google Earth.

If you plan on staying in the Oregon state parks, especially those along the coast, be aware that they stay full almost every day of the week from the last week in June until Labor Day. Make reservations in Jan/Feb if there are any you would really like to stay at.

If you go inland, to the eastern side of the Cascade mountains, expect some hot weather in July & August. Highs in the low to mid 90's and sometimes in the upper 90's. If you will always have electric hookups, not a problem. However if you like to stay in the more remote & very scenic areas, being w/o elect can be very warm.

The southern coastline of Oregon, from Brookings to Port Orford is a beautiful scenic area and is not a jam packed with people as the mid to northern coast is.

Since you are Escapees members, spend the $10 or so and get the Days End list . Days End lists a lot of very nice boondocking spots along the OR coastline.

As a 30 plus year resident of Oregon .....

My I suggest looking on the web page Oregon State Parks

http://oregonstateparks.org/

I generally don't make reservations but summer is very popular time on the coast. The summer weather is generally 10 to 20 degrees cooler west of the Coast Range. Most Willamette Valley Oregonians (about 90 percent of the population) head for the beach to cool off. Also may I suggest crossing the Columbia River to try out Cape Disappointment. Its a Washington State Park but its has some of the best ocean side camp spots. Again its very popular - need to make reservation this or next month for places you really think are great.

And one of the few times more all government agencies got together this page. It only covers the central coast but it includes just about all government camp grounds ie Fed, State,County and City. Its worth the $10.

http://www.blm.gov/or/onlineservices/maps/map_details.php?id=28

If you'd consider adding one more month may I also suggest Olympic National Park.

http://www.nps.gov/OLYM/index.htm

<smile> IMHO you can almost throw a dart at the maps of Oregon and Washington ...... to enjoy a great experience.

Edited by colddog15