We are all Ambassadors

whatsnext

I had heard from many people over the past year that HDT'ers are Ambassadors to all the truck drivers out there who drive big rigs for a living. That immediately made sense since many times we are in "their world" during our travels.

At the HDT Rally last week, Gregg mentioned that we are ambassadors but in a broader sense, to ALL people who we come across in our travels.

This is sooo true.

On our way back to SC from Hutch we had the following happen over a two day period of driving:

1) 4 people asked to take a picture of our truck/trailer as we were stopped.

2) 1 person took a video of us as we pulled out of the campground Sunday morning.

3) Campground owner asked if they could post our rig on their website.

4) 3 professional truck drivers commented on our "nice rig"

5) A driver noticed that we followed protocol during a fuel stop (pull forward after fill up to complete transaction).

(This does not include the numerous motorists on the road who are taking pictures while we travel down the road)

Moral of the story:

Don't think that no one is watching or cares how you act. It matters.

We are ALL Ambassadors.....and it feels good!

Just my $.02.

David

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

I guess it's a good thing you got it all cleaned up while you were here! But yes, we're pretty high-profile RVers, and it's certainly not a bad thing when others take notice in a good way.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

This is mine.......I felt like an Ambassador when I pulled up to races and shows.

.....and another.

The Pete looks great... Don't know about the broken down farm implements you carry in the trailer though..... A '35 3 window coupe would look a lot better... :)

Love the looks of those long nose Pete and KW's they have style....

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Almost always get a comment or two while at the fuel pumps, always positive. One guy said "My boss has a fleet of HDTs and pulls his fifth wheel with a pickup! Wait 'till I tell him about your rig!"

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Guest THE TRAILERKING

Love the looks of those long nose Pete and KW's they have style....

You should hear the Series 60 barking through the 6" straight pipes when on the Jake.............Sounds like Machine Guns going off in Chicago at night. :lol:

David, good post and agree but you forgot to mention how many people asked how the smart got up there. I suspect you lost count. After about the umpteenth time someone asks, your ability to keep a smile and answering politely is the true test. Our test was at the Gator - Mizzou game parking in the RV lot . . . . every RV'r there was intrigued and I think we passed the test.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

"How do get the car up there" Number one question I got at many stops this past summer. Also, always had a crowd when unloading and loading the SC in RV parks. I have had many good conversations with truckers at fuel stops and a few negative comments over the CB from some Super truckers....I guess.....ignored them and kept rollin down the road. Sometimes its hard to break away from the many questions but always smile and enjoy the people I meet.

Being a former OTR and Oil Field driver I can't stress enough about how true this is. In many ways we may be subject to a higher level of scrutiny, especially with professional etiquette while on the road. I am new to driving a HDT for personal and recreational use, but I can see this post certainly has a lot of merit. There is a new generation behind the wheel of trucks today, they many times don't "courtesy flash" lights when passing, or being passed, and many other things we did for each other to make the job a little easier. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be doing everything we can to maintain professional standards and courtesy. :D

2006 Volvo 630, 10 spd, 465 hp D12 1650 torque, Tandem Axles (Texas Dually)
18' Dovetail Flatbed with EZ Slide Ramps by Texas RV & Toy Hauler Conversions
30' Flagstaff Bumper Pull Travel Trailer
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.5" Lift (Night Crawler)

One of the biggest adjustments I have had was getting used to everyone looking at us. I have had truckers at rest stops and fuel stops ask questions, fellow campers swarm to figure out how we "pull" off using a semi. and everyone in town seems to whip out there camera to share with their friends. So far my favorite stop had to be at liard hot springs on september 10th of this year. I asked the ranger if there were any big spots. He pointed us in the direction of a few options and said "if you can fit that thing in one, its yours FREE for the first night. Get all 68' of her slide into spot 26 no problem. stayed 2 nights.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

David, good post and agree but you forgot to mention how many people asked how the smart got up there. I suspect you lost count. After about the umpteenth time someone asks, your ability to keep a smile and answering politely is the true test. Our test was at the Gator - Mizzou game parking in the RV lot . . . . every RV'r there was intrigued and I think we passed the test.

Jim-

You and Rick S are correct. That was the number 1 question we were asked was how do you get that Smart up there. I joked with a few and told them that we lifted it with some help from people standing nearby...they thought about this for a second and quickly turned around and left (they didn't want to get "volunteered" into any Smart lifting!). LOL

:o:lol:

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Best comment I ever got was before the smart. We had just bought the Volvo and were looking for the right fiver. Meanwhile we were towing a 24 foot Terry fiver - looked a little odd!

Pulled into a park - in TN I think - and the owner was standing on the porch: "Looks like you picked that trailer before it was ripe!"

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

David,

Enjoyed staying next to you at the rally and look forward to seeing that rig and the two of you in Crossville this spring. As far as our trucks go, the biggest kicks for me are the small kids pumping their arms up and down for us the blow the air horns. If we are out in the middle of nowhere and I think it is safe, they get a loud horn and I get some of the biggest smiles on the road. You just need to make sure you don't give mom or dad a heart attack doing it....

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

David,

Enjoyed staying next to you at the rally and look forward to seeing that rig and the two of you in Crossville this spring. As far as our trucks go, the biggest kicks for me are the small kids pumping their arms up and down for us the blow the air horns. If we are out in the middle of nowhere and I think it is safe, they get a loud horn and I get some of the biggest smiles on the road. You just need to make sure you don't give mom or dad a heart attack doing it....

Hey David-

We enjoyed it too....did Vickie ever convince you to get a Volvo after the ride?? LOL

We'll be at the ECR in 2016 and hope to see you guys then. Maybe this time I won't need to borrow the torque wrench...can someone say Christmas present?

David

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

I'm actually glad that you were there with your new truck. She didn't like the room in the passenger seat on the Volvo and after driving a new KW T680, the shifting was just as smooth if not smoother in the KW, she had more room in the passenger seat on the KW but she said the Volvo might have a slight edge in quietness but it was so slight that you could barely tell. The main deciding factor for us was the room on the passenger side of the truck.

Getting pricing in now for a new T680 factory singled.......

Who knows, we might be in a new ride by the ECR.....

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

Hi, well the rally was great, we stayed two weeks at the fair ground, now heading to southern AZ. When asked about the smart car I tell them "we pump up the tires and it floats off", after a smile or two we show them the ramps, drive on & off. You guys have a great day

the sailor & his Lady

1998 Volvo 610 "Big Red"

2006 Newmar Kountry Aire "Mother Goose"

2013 Smart Car "Lil' Red"

" If you aren't living on the edge, you are just taking up space "

On the loading:

1: just like a basketball, give it a slap to start it, then bounce it up.

2: tell them to grab a corner and lift.

3: I had a piece of cardboard cut out like the handle on a 6-pack.

4:"It jumps when I whistle"

5:kite, if the wind cooperates.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

David-

That sounds great on the KW. Good to have a little diversity. I like the fairings on the KW and the cockpit definitely looks more "passenger friendly". Yellow is a nice color on a KW but any color is nice since the truck will be NEW!! LOL

See you in Crossville.

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

The T680 is a great truck. Pretty much tied with a Volvo 780 if I was buying new.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I've just been reading this thread. Maybe it jumps a T-680 ahead of a 780 if the price was right.

Interesting purchasing strategies too.

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/threads/any-t680-owners-would-love-some-feedback.205200/

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

Archived