Modular Smart Car Beds

bmzero

Very nice work.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That same thought has crossed my mind, quite a bit on this last trip. I had big problems with tires, mostly due to the tires on the trailer when I bought it being subpar.

22718248960_2356e73cd3_b.jpg

I am on the hunt for a better tire setup now. I haven't decided on going to 17" wheels, but that is also an option.

Not to highjack the thread, but it looks like you're now a member of the Cyclone Blow Max Club...... Welcome. Looks like your damage was contained. I've seen them tear up sides and slides something fierce.

Just put 6 G614's on after a less than enjoyable ride home from MS last March. So far the G614's are holding up very nicely, and they are 16". They weigh as much by themselves as the BlowMax and rim TOGETHER! Definitely a well built tire.

Sold the remaining 4 BlowMaxes on Craigslist.

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

Here is my OPINION...based on experience and observation.

The G614 does seem to perform acceptably when it is not anywhere near its load rating. But get them within 500 lbs of load rating and they do not seem to perform well. I've blown MANY G614 tires....MANY. All were within 500 lbs of the rating - in some cases even more (closer to 1000 lbs). All were properly maintained, with tire monitors on them at all times. All were inspected every two hours while in use. ALL failed the same way - catastrophic blowout without road hazard damage. All were replaced for free by Goodyear and damage paid for.

I moved to G114 17.5's. Never had an issue since.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Has anybody had a problem after switching to 17.5 tires??

Not being smart just asking. All my problems that I had with blow outs went away after swapping

Same here. It broke my heart to let the 17.5s go with the old unit when we traded.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

One thing I haven't seen on your bed is how it is secured to the truck rails. U-bolts?

Sorry I missed this earlier.

Yes, the primary fasteners are u-bolts. However, I built the frame rails so brackets could easily be connected on either side of the frame rail in the case where there isn't room for u-bolts.

In the photo below, you can see the mounting bracket built into the frame rail.

5f4284d3-aecb-4b83-96cd-ad6a579449c8-s.j
Here is a zoomed out view for reference with a mocked u-bolt.

On my truck, I was able to use u-bolts for all joists except the rear. On that one, I used a simple mounting bracket to connect the bed to the frame rails using an existing hole in the frame rail.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

bmzero, Are you going to be at the ECR? After watching your build on the truck I really hope I get to see it. Your work is like a work of Art. It is simply great. IRT the tire issue I've got 5 tires in the shop on 17.5 rims but the wheels are steel and are drilled for 5/8" lugs. My new 43 open Range has 1/2" lugs. My dream is to put disk brakes on at the same time I put a Trail Air air ride under the 5er but doggone it I didn't hit the 1.5 billion$ Power Ball. But it will happen (not the lottery), it will just take a little longer. I had a 31 Sunnybrook that I put the A/R under it and it really made a world of difference. I was towing with a 550 then. Then I put the Kilderman Air Ride under the 550. Big difference. Now we tow with the Volvo. Never to go back to a little truck as long as we are towing a 5er. Keep up the great work! Pat

The Old Sailor

bmzero, Are you going to be at the ECR? After watching your build on the truck I really hope I get to see it. Your work is like a work of Art. It is simply great. IRT the tire issue I've got 5 tires in the shop on 17.5 rims but the wheels are steel and are drilled for 5/8" lugs. My new 43 open Range has 1/2" lugs. My dream is to put disk brakes on at the same time I put a Trail Air air ride under the 5er but doggone it I didn't hit the 1.5 billion$ Power Ball. But it will happen (not the lottery), it will just take a little longer. I had a 31 Sunnybrook that I put the A/R under it and it really made a world of difference. I was towing with a 550 then. Then I put the Kilderman Air Ride under the 550. Big difference. Now we tow with the Volvo. Never to go back to a little truck as long as we are towing a 5er. Keep up the great work! Pat

The Old Sailor

Pat, I am going to the ECR. I hope to be there all week. I should have the revised version of the bed installed by then.

I appreciate the compliment.

Pat, I am going to the ECR. I hope to be there all week. I should have the revised version of the bed installed by then.

I appreciate the compliment.

Maybe I can get you to figure out the best way to add some cargo bins under my deck, hint hint, . knowing your ability it should take all of a second or two

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Maybe I can get you to figure out the best way to add some cargo bins under my deck, hint hint, . knowing your ability it should take all of a second or two

That shouldn't be a problem. I have a button for that in Solidworks. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Very clever the way you fabricated the weld tabs. You just put a new wrinkle in my old brain! The wheel chocks go together like a tinker toy or for the younger set, legos. :)

Ha ha. Funny you brought up Lego's. There may be some more talk of that soon. ;-)

I was definitely a Lego-maniac in my younger days, which probably comes as no surprise. My 6 year old son is taking up the passion now. He may exceed my Lego mastery soon.

Very clever the way you fabricated the weld tabs. You just put a new wrinkle in my old brain! The wheel chocks go together like a tinker toy or for the younger set, legos. :)

This assembly was a piece of cake compared to the hitch. There are about 20 more pieces not pictured as well.

FAB6CBD2-EB73-43D8-806F-FC307F14A27A-s.j

I had a nice Erector Set, until my younger brothers got into it......

A couple of years ago I bought a new tinker toy set for the grand kids. They love it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I had a nice Erector Set, until my younger brothers got into it......

A couple of years ago I bought a new tinker toy set for the grand kids. They love it.

I did not know they still made tinker toys. When I was a kid they were made of wood. I am guessing the modern toys are plastic.

Wow, I forgot about erector sets. Another childhood passion. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

That's really cool. I had not seen that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meccano

In the USA it is aka Erector Set

Britt has 457 simultaneous projects on the go and he stops and looks up Meccano - that made me :D

Did I ask one time before if the modular deck can be made out of "aluminium" ?

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

In the USA it is aka Erector Set

Britt has 457 simultaneous projects on the go and he stops and looks up Meccano - that made me :D

Did I ask one time before if the modular deck can be made out of "aluminium" ?

Ha ha. Curiosity.

Yes, the entire thing could be made out of aluminum, but I would probably just recommend using aluminum for the spreaders and floor plates and leave the main beams steel. I'm considering doing the next run of bed plates out of aluminum. It's a significant weight savings.

Archived