Can I connect my 30amp rig at a 50amp site

cjgdds

Might seem like a stupid question, but I am new at this and taking my first extended trip. I found a park I wanted to stay at but they only had 50 amp sites available. I bought a connector that plugs into a 50 amp socket and I can plug my 30 amp cord into that but am wondering if there is any danger to my electrical system?

Thanks, Chris

You should have a 30 amp master breaker in your RV circuit breaker box. This will protect your wiring from using more than 30 amps, so there is no danger.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

It's not unusual for "50 amp" sites to actually have 50, 30, and 20 amp outlets available on the pedestal. If it is actually a 50 amp only site, as Bill said, you'll be fine using your adapter. Amps are pulled from the source by the load, not pushed, so your RV will only pull as much as it needs up to the limits of the on board circuit breakers.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Welcome to the Escapee forums! It is great having you with us here and we will do all possible to assist you.

Your question is already properly answered, but I'll answer a few comments. The key for your RV is the voltage and it needs to see 120V. The 50A RV outlets actually have two legs of 120V, 50A each, but the adapter that you purchased basically just shuts off or blocks one of those two legs, leaving the other to supply your 120V, 30A power cord. The amount of current drawn by any electrical load is determined by the combination of the voltage supplied (120V) and the resistance of that load. The 50A outlet has a circuit breaker of 50A but you will never experience any more than 30A under any circumstance because there is a 30A circuit breaker in your electrical box that limits the maximum amount of current you can ever draw to the 30A limit of your power cord. In the event that you should ever attempt to use more than that 30A, the circuit breaker on your RV will prevent it from happening.

Basically the circuit breaker in your RV is there to protect you and your RV, while the one on the power pedestal is there to protect the park system from you abusing or harming them and their equipment.

201261543126.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 3 weeks later...

This adapter connects to only one leg of the 50A receptacle,and utilizes the same neutral and ground wiring. Peruse this website: http://www.myrv.us/electric/ for the 50A and 30A wiring, and it will help with understanding the differences. It is perfectly safe to use, and should be a better power supply than a over-used 30A receptacle.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for posting this. I want to know why my Winnebago Operator's Manual tells me not to, though. Any thoughts from anyone on why they would state this?

This is what it reads.

NOTE: If your coach is equipped with standard 30-amp system, you cannot connect to a 50-amp service. Do not use adapters to connect 30-amp systems to a 50-amp service or you may cause an overload on electrical system components.

It makes me feel very insecure about all of the other information in the Manual that I am trying to follow.

Thank you for posting this. I want to know why my Winnebago Operator's Manual tells me not to, though. Any thoughts from anyone on why they would state this?

This is what it reads.

NOTE: If your coach is equipped with standard 30-amp system, you cannot connect to a 50-amp service. Do not use adapters to connect 30-amp systems to a 50-amp service or you may cause an overload on electrical system components.

It makes me feel very insecure about all of the other information in the Manual that I am trying to follow.

I can see where this info could make you a bit uncertain. But we have a 50 amp rig and seldom if ever use 50 amp. My wife refuses to deal with the 50 amp cord. So for many years we have used only the 30 amp cord often times with the 50 to 30 amp adapter. We have never had any problem using this system. Good luck and safe journeys. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

This is what it reads.

We had a 30 amp Winnebago with an add-on EMS system and we used an adapter to connect to 50 amp when 30 amp was not available. That Progressive EMS system helped us feel confident about doing this.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

This is what it reads.

That looks like a legal department "CYA" statement to me. The fact is the only parts that aren't protected by your onboard main circuit breaker are cord and the adapter, and barring physical damage, neither one is capable of overloading anything.

Dutch

The only reason that I can think of (as a career electrical worker) would be for some curious legal purpose. Dutch has the only viable answer that I can imagine. For there to be any problem in doing that your main power circuit breaker in the RV would have to fail closed, which is an extremely rare situation. They are designed to fail open and in more than 40 years of electrical service work, I have never seen one fail in a closed condition. I suppose it is possible but I can't imagine how. In my opinion, that is an ignorant and irresponsible statement.

Kirk, I wonder what whoever wrote that would say about the millions of 1 amp or so lamps and other devices with 18-2 wire plugged into 15 or 20 amp outlets. :D

Dutch

Kirk, I wonder what whoever wrote that would say about the millions of 1 amp or so lamps and other devices with 18-2 wire plugged into 15 or 20 amp outlets. :D

:huh: ..............................

The next version is going to warn that if you connect the RV to any electrical source you must assume all risks of electrocution! And a similar warning is being written by the lawyers to put on the fresh water connection to avoid any responsibility for damage if an owner should ever put water into the RV..... :rolleyes:

I have never seen one fail in a closed condition. I suppose it is possible but I can't imagine how. In my opinion, that is an ignorant and irresponsible statement.

X2. It does give them deniability on an electrical related warranty claim if you did not follow their guidelines, but it's utterly ridiculous in real world terms. There is absolutely no reason you can not safely plug in to 50amp service with an appropriate adapter. It certainly doesn't hurt to have an EMS, or to take reasonable precautions by testing the plug prior to plugging in your rig, but that's just common sense for everyone. The RV industry never ceases to amaze. :P

A good quality adapter, similar to one that Kirk shows will work fine and is to code. Beware of the one piece Chinese POS that is spot welded internally and WILL get you into trouble. Buy quality here.

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

Archived