Propane Tank Certification?

Velos

Our propane tanks just turned 12 and the last time we had them filled the employee told us they would have to be re-certified before they could be filled again.

Have you had your propane tanks re-certified? If so how much did it cost? Who can do it? and what is involved in the process? How long in the re-certification good for?

We have 2 - 40 gallon tanks; thought they were great when we first started full timing but now are thinking of replacing them with smaller tanks that are not as heavy and easier to handle.

Cylinder Certification and Recertification

Cylinders are subject to recertification (also known as requalification) twelve years from their date of manufacture and every five years after that. For example, a cylinder manufactured in January of 2000 will have to be recertified in January of 2012 meaning if you take your bottle to the propane company in April of 2012 to be refilled, it will have to be requalified by authorized personnel before it can be filled. The recertification process is simple and does not take too long to complete.

The above comes from this website: http://www.propane101.com/propanecylinders.htm

We've never had a propane tank certified because we've never owned any one RV long enough! However, I'd look for a propane dealer who sells bulk propane, such as an AmeriGas dealer.

I'm assuming recertification is less expensive than buying a new tank, but I'd want to check the price of new tanks before taking an old tank in for recertification.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Its ten years in Canada. Might be something for anyone coming to visit us to consider. I bumped up against this earlier this year.

Geo

• Cylinders must be inspected and requalified every 10 years – it is against the law to fill an outdated cylinder. The disposal or requalification of a cylinder must be done by organizations that have the appropriate equipment, training and certification to do so, and which have been certified by Transport Canada to do the work.
    • To find a requalifier in your area, go to the Transport Canada website. (Note: Select the "External Visual" cylinder requalification method (for propane cylinders).

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

I've had two cylinders re-certified, both times at propane dealers. Simple process. They just looked them over and tested for leaks, then slapped a new sticker on them. I think one place was $5 and the other $7.50 or so. Not a big deal and certainly cheaper than buying new cylinders.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Desolation Roe, you bring up a very good point. My 12 year tanks were coming up on 10 years old last summer. So before going to Alaska I thought about having them re-certified. While I was getting them filled in Yuma, AZ. during the winter I asked the pumper about doing the recertification. Of course after looking at the date he told me they didn't have to be done yet as there was time on them. I then explained to him that some of our Canadian friends had bought new rigs in the last couple of years and I noticed that the "good" date was for ten years and that we were going to Alaska. He then told me that some of his Canadian customers that had him recertify their tanks the season before that the Canadian pumpers would not recognize the five year re-certification. So while we were in Whitehorse, Yukon CA. we were getting groceries beside a busy propane pumper. I wondered over, and when the pumping slowed down, I asked the guy about the US five year recertification. He told me that they don't recognize the recertification from the US. I wasn't worried about a refill while in Canada because I have two 30's on the fiver and I carry two 20's in the bed of the truck. Something to keep in mind if traveling thru our neighbors to the north. JM, also many Home Depots and Lowes carry new tanks and in some locations carry 30's. Also many ranch stores also sell them I was in Northern Propane this summer in Kalispell, MT. and they had new 30's for $51.00. I did ask the clerk there and it was the correct price!

Yes just call around. We were in PA when we first started looking and the big propane guys wanted to charge us $60 and insisted they needed to empty the tank to do it. We passed and a couple months later had it done in MD near DC and it cost us $5 a tank. Took about 10 minutes

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

In the unlikely event you don't have an OFD fitted, I'm pretty sure you need a new valve. I have a vague recollection that all the old tanks without were banned anyway.

If they want an empty tank, that typically means an internal visual, which I'm pretty sure is not required in Canada.

It doesn't take too much of that before I'm happier with a new tank riding under me.

In Qatar we had the way cool new translucent composite tanks inside a polycarbonate support frame. Very, very light, and you could see your fluid level. Not cheap to buy the first time, but refills were a few bucks for the equivalent of a 25lb-er. Wish you could get them here, ideal for an RV where you care about weight and how much propane you actually have.

http://static.qatarliving.com/styles/flexslider_full/s3/2015/05/20/image_5.jpg?itok=malKVOkL&slideshow=true&slideshowAuto=false&slideshowSpeed=4000&speed=350&transition=fade

https://www.google.ca/search?q=shafaf+tank+photo&tbm=isch&imgil=K71AOF1Jy0j8hM%253A%253BTdIVfHRs1cL4AM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.qatarliving.com%25252Fitems%25252Fhousehold-items%25252Fadvert%25252Fwoqod-gas-cylinder-regulator-1&source=iu&pf=m&fir=K71AOF1Jy0j8hM%253A%252CTdIVfHRs1cL4AM%252C_&biw=1276&bih=798&usg=__OqkY2gze3bdC09wIwV1UgyGZV2g%3D&ved=0CDQQyjdqFQoTCI290tior8gCFQsZPgodJx8P6A&ei=_oMUVo3GKIuy-AGnvrzADg#imgrc=K71AOF1Jy0j8hM%3A&usg=__OqkY2gze3bdC09wIwV1UgyGZV2g%3D

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

On our summer trip to Alaska I had no problem filling my 11 year old tanks in Alberta at 3 different locations one of which was a major supplier. BC was a different story.

Although the anniversary is till next spring I was having problems with the valve in one tank so just today I had that replaced and the tanks recertified a $5 per tank and $25 to replace the valve

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

Scary.

That's basically the same as a 5 year hydro on a scuba tank. Fill it up with water, pressure it up to 5/3rds, make sure it isn't leaking, drain it, do an inspection to make sure the threaded areas are intact. Then deal with the rust issues you just generated by filling it up with water!. Lol

I would probably rather buy some new aluminum lpg tanks at that point. Expensive to start with, but much easier to lug around.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

In Qatar we had the way cool new translucent composite tanks inside a polycarbonate support frame. Very, very light, and you could see your fluid level. Not cheap to buy the first time, but refills were a few bucks for the equivalent of a 25lb-er. Wish you could get them here, ideal for an RV where you care about weight and how much propane you actually have.

Geo

I've seen them here George, so they must be available.....just not common.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The new valves have 3 points on the handle where as the old handles had I believe 5 points. Most places don't even check the date as long as you have the OPD valves on them. The recertification is no big deal, we would spray soapy water on the handle looking for leaks and do a visual outside inspection for excess rust, then put a five year sticker on the tank. If you are being charged more than $5, I would move on to the next fill station.

Greg

Roger - I have a bridge for sale, you interested?

I've seen them here George, so they must be available.....just not common.

Jack,

Viking sells them here in the USA but they made a limited run of 31 pound cylinders (they will not fit a space designed for a 30 pound steel cylinder and are roughly the size of a 40 pounder). Unless they get enough feedback to import some more of them, they will not be sold here again as their 22 pound cylinder (fits a 30 pound hole) was more popular. Myself, I would love to have 4 of these even though my capacity would be lower just for the lighter weight.

The link below explains a lot about that size and will give some an opportunity to let them know if you would purchase them in that size.

http://www.vikingcylinders.com/shop/lifestyle/31-lb-vapor/

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

The new valves have 3 points on the handle where as the old handles had I believe 5 points. Most places don't even check the date as long as you have the OPD valves on them. The recertification is no big deal, we would spray soapy water on the handle looking for leaks and do a visual outside inspection for excess rust, then put a five year sticker on the tank. If you are being charged more than $5, I would move on to the next fill station.

Greg

Roger - I have a bridge for sale, you interested?

I just called Klaus at Glanford Auto. They do local checking of cylinders. The test takes about an hour, includes new stem, cost 40$. Canadian and US standards are the same time line for checking.

An outfit in Calgary takes, 10 >15 minutes and 56$

I guess 15 minutes or a bit longer plus paperwork plus a Valve is worth a bit more than 5$.

Nothing to be gained by firing off a response to the bridge comment, it's not worth it.

Worthington makes a full range. West marine had them before they closed the Canadian stores. Anyone that sells Worthington can get them.

http://worthingtonindustries.com/getmedia/d67b7d92-76e2-47ca-9d8d-3c0d56ad760d/LPG-Portable_Steel-Aluminum.pdf?ext=.pdf

Geo

The 40's on my TS are heavy empty let alone full. The place they are stored isn't easily accessible. Where can the Aluminum ones be purchased, mine are time X'd anyway?

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

The other nice thing about those cylinders is that the shape of the handles is really easy on the hands.

Geo

Jack,

Viking sells them here in the USA but they made a limited run of 31 pound cylinders (they will not fit a space designed for a 30 pound steel cylinder and are roughly the size of a 40 pounder). Unless they get enough feedback to import some more of them, they will not be sold here again as their 22 pound cylinder (fits a 30 pound hole) was more popular. Myself, I would love to have 4 of these even though my capacity would be lower just for the lighter weight.

The link below explains a lot about that size and will give some an opportunity to let them know if you would purchase them in that size.

http://www.vikingcylinders.com/shop/lifestyle/31-lb-vapor/

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

I generally just replace mine when they come up on re-certification or @ 10 years if heading into Canada. It's generally not too difficult to find new tanks for around $60. If you think about it, it's just a bit over $5 a year per tank, you get new valves/OPD, you're good for another 10-12 years and don't have to worry about someone honoring a 5 year re-certification.

A word on the composite tanks... From what I've heard... even though they are rated for higher pressures and capacity, most places will only fill them part way to standard pressure/weight. That's IF they will fill them at all. I love the idea, but won't be switching to composite until they are more 'mainstream', but I don't see that happening any time in the near future. You would still get a savings in overall weight, but I wouldn't plan on being able to take advantage of the increased capacity. IMO, that, on top of the initial expense, makes them cost prohibitive unless you are seriously in need of dropping 10-15 pounds.

I just called Klaus at Glanford Auto. They do local checking of cylinders. The test takes about an hour, includes new stem, cost 40$. Canadian and US standards are the same time line for checking.

An outfit in Calgary takes, 10 >15 minutes and 56$

I guess 15 minutes or a bit longer plus paperwork plus a Valve is worth a bit more than 5$.

Nothing to be gained by firing off a response to the bridge comment, it's not worth it.

Roger, just playing with you, can't we have a little fun before we die?

The point is just because a salesman is trying to sell you a Cadillac for a road trip doesn't mean a Chevy won't get you there also.

Why do you need a new valve?

Greg

X2. Great review. Having used similar composite cylinders for quite a while, steel cylinders are dark ages.

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Archived