Looking for help customizing Class A RV for boondocking

Backpacker

I am about to retire and doing the research to select a class A motor coach and upgrade it for boondocking throughout the western US and Canada, I have been following Jason and Nikki Wynn's "Gone with the Wynn's" blog and Cherie Ve Ard's & Chris Dunphy's "Techomadia" blog to work up a wish list including lithium batteries, solar panels, automated power monitoring and control systems, communications gear, tire pressure monitoring, and even a composting toilet.

I am looking for referrals to companies that have the expertise to properly install all of the upgrades. At the same time, I am looking for a 3 to 4 year old class A gas coach to take advantage of early depreciation in market value and help fund the enhancements. I am a cash buyer with a budget of $100k to $110k for the completed product.

I am located in Austin Texas but am looking nationwide for the best combination of quality coach and enhancement installation. Referrals would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you have got 2 major decisions to make... I went through the 'best quality class A on the used market' issue a few months ago. I suggest you focus on the quality of the MH independent of the solar upgrades and modifications. Otherwise if you mix the criteria, you could wind up with more problems than you bargained for. Assuming you want to keep this unit for a few years, I suggest you focus on the top 4-5 quality brands; such as Tiffin, Newmar etc. Kirk and others will probably weigh in on this. I bought a 10 year old Newmar with 2 year old tires and 11K miles on it. Even with the inevitable issues (replaced and AC) I'm glad I chose the Newmar. The cabinet quality and attention to detail in the design of the coach will make this unit serve me full time for a number of years.

As I have refereed people to in the past, Blue Moon RV in Carrollton Texas can outfit any Rv with any option you desire. They have a shop so you can drop off the unit there. They might let you stay as well. Never asked. Robert is the owner. If you need there number email me and I can get it.

Good luck

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

Archived