"Not for hire"

remoandiris

Very nice stop.......

Drive on..........(Not all stops are bad........)

Much has to do with your attitude!!!

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll will add to the confusion here. And an opinion from Big 5er would be appreciated. I am full blown commercial. Everything. CDL AM- Endorsements PTX, apportioned plates-logs-medical card.

When I pull my personal trailer, my company is aware of it,, they charge me as if I were pulling any customers trailer and promptly "forgive" the invoice as a perk for being a good contractor. But I follow all regulations, I fill out a bill of lading, log book current , all documentation, go through open scales(never an issue) etc.

I have had some express the opinion I am breaking the law, because I am off duty, but logging driving/on duty etc.

What would concern me there--if you were doing it enough--has nothing to do with highway regs. A forgiven debt is normally treated as income to the forgivee--if the company were audited and someone noticed that all of the invoices to you were written off as bad debts, they might look to you to find the income.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Sorry y'all. I'm on vacation sitting close to a lake with very limited internet access.

Question for Phil:

What if you have an Escapes logo on the truck, or a Washington Redskins emblem or something of that nature that simply shows your support for a club or sports team - even a BIG VOLVO sign on the door? Where is the line drawn? Is it better to have NOTHING than one of those?

Randy, "can"you put those things on your HDT? Sure you can. But since the idea is already in your mind about how it "looks" what do you think it will "look" like to an officer that is looking and already wondering?

I'll will add to the confusion here. And an opinion from Big 5er would be appreciated. I am full blown commercial. Everything. CDL AM- Endorsements PTX, apportioned plates-logs-medical card.
When I pull my personal trailer, my company is aware of it,, they charge me as if I were pulling any customers trailer and promptly "forgive" the invoice as a perk for being a good contractor. But I follow all regulations, I fill out a bill of lading, log book current , all documentation, go through open scales(never an issue) etc.
I have had some express the opinion I am breaking the law, because I am off duty, but logging driving/on duty etc.

Jeff, as you know you can use your truck for "personal conveyance". But you are still required to carry 7 previous days worth of logs. If you aren't logging your personal time then how can you prove how long you have been using the truck for personal usage? I say you are better off logging time that you are not required to log than not. Sort of like placarding: You may over placard your load (placard for subsidiaries when not required, etc) but you can not under placard. Plus, if your carrier is documenting your time as "pulling any customers trailer" then technically, doesn't that make you "on duty" rather than "personal conveyance"?

IF LEO's are not in the mood to cite overloads it seems likely the rest of us might best served by staying out of the stop-path of the load.......

As Star Dreamer pointed out there are many reasons that a heavy load may not get stopped. Mood has very little to do with it. I can only speak for my own state but the only LEO authorized by law to weigh vehicles must be specifically trained in that area. To enforce the DOT regs they also must be authorized and certified to enforce those regs which are contained in the FMCSR's.

I work in a county that is larger than the state of Rhode Island. There are 10 of us for the entire county that are both weight and DOT certified. Weight is a state charge, as is length. Any officer with a tape measure can determine the length of your vehicle and issue you a citation, but due to the complexities of weight/permits, other technical issues and the laws specifying who can enforce the weight laws, your average patrolman can't do it (plus they do not carry portable scales, like I do).

I have said it before, there are an estimated 2 million truck tractors in the US, plus the other commercial vehicles (dump trucks, small chemical haulers, hot shot drivers, etc) being driven by an estimated 3.5 million truck drivers. There are an estimated 10,000 DOT enforcement officers. The odds of any truck being stopped are slim. Like I said, I am on vacation and have had 3 telephone calls in 4 days from patrol units wanting me to come check out a vehicle for them. Those are the determined ones. Most of them stop when they can't see me logged on to the computer or find me on the radio. Even if your normal LEO stopped an over weight load, there is little he could actually do with it.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Sorry y'all. I'm on vacation sitting close to a lake with very limited internet access.

Randy, "can"you put those things on your HDT? Sure you can. But since the idea is already in your mind about how it "looks" what do you think it will "look" like to an officer that is looking and already wondering?

Thanks Phil - yes, I did know that any logo simply adds to the questions and attraction....... sort of like a semi-nude model in church or having spiked purple hair.

I'm joking when I say this, but sometimes I feel like I should have a custom wrap made to disguise the Volvo as a Ford F350.

When starting out on the dark side five years ago I was as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. But, after thousands of miles and only one stop in Florida for a fuel check on a rural road where loggers often ran un-taxed fuel in their highway rigs I have settled down a lot.

I appreciate your valuable advice and insight. It is beneficial having someone that is on both sides of the discussions as part of this group.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Jeff, as you know you can use your truck for "personal conveyance". But you are still required to carry 7 previous days worth of logs. If you aren't logging your personal time then how can you prove how long you have been using the truck for personal usage? I say you are better off logging time that you are not required to log than not. Sort of like placarding: You may over placard your load (placard for subsidiaries when not required, etc) but you can not under placard. Plus, if your carrier is documenting your time as "pulling any customers trailer" then technically, doesn't that make you "on duty" rather than "personal conveyance"?

As Star Dreamer pointed out there are many reasons that a heavy load may not get stopped. Mood has very little to do with it. I can only speak for my own state but the only LEO authorized by law to weigh vehicles must be specifically trained in that area. To enforce the DOT regs they also must be authorized and certified to enforce those regs which are contained in the FMCSR's.

I work in a county that is larger than the state of Rhode Island. There are 10 of us for the entire county that are both weight and DOT certified. Weight is a state charge, as is length. Any officer with a tape measure can determine the length of your vehicle and issue you a citation, but due to the complexities of weight/permits, other technical issues and the laws specifying who can enforce the weight laws, your average patrolman can't do it (plus they do not carry portable scales, like I do).

I have said it before, there are an estimated 2 million truck tractors in the US, plus the other commercial vehicles (dump trucks, small chemical haulers, hot shot drivers, etc) being driven by an estimated 3.5 million truck drivers. There are an estimated 10,000 DOT enforcement officers. The odds of any truck being stopped are slim. Like I said, I am on vacation and have had 3 telephone calls in 4 days from patrol units wanting me to come check out a vehicle for them. Those are the determined ones. Most of them stop when they can't see me logged on to the computer or find me on the radio. Even if your normal LEO stopped an over weight load, there is little he could actually do with it.

I agree truck weight is a.........weighty issue.......Maybe mood is not the correct term....... and to make matters a bit more complex the weight of items on trucks and trailers can be hard to estimate.......

The main reason that the Ram with the 9 highway dividers on the trailer caught my eye is that I own some of the identical dividers and my little forklift (4,000 lb) won't begin to lift them and the 980 Cat loader is overkill but it has no problem with the 5,500 lb dividers.......

My original point is that I see a fair amount of pickups hauling very large loads down the roads and It is obvious that some of these pickups are not a rig that you want behind you on a long down grade........I never see these overloaded rigs cited in the news of record or at the scales ......like big5er said.........lots of trucks.... and not too many DOT folks.......

I will admit It was pretty impressive to see the Ram 350 move a load that was likely twice it's rated capacity........not sure how long it will live withe those loads...........

Drive on.............( I'am still retired.......and not for hire......)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

When starting out on the dark side five years ago I was as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. But, after thousands of miles and only one stop in Florida for a fuel check on a rural road where loggers often ran un-taxed fuel in their highway rigs I have settled down a lot.

I think being nervous the first year is common. I know I was. The first year I think I use to just stare in the mirrors waiting to see if I was going to be chased down when passing a open scale house (has never happened in 6 years). Now the only thing I am looking for from the scale house is trucks merging back in to traffic.

Where we stayed this weekend there was a guy with a converted 45'~48' dry van. All the stainless polished and only 1 window on the left side and 2 on the right (had to be dark in there). The only markings on the truck was a "Not for Hire" cut in to the stainless just under the cab door. I never got to talk to him but he did come outside and give us a thumbs up when we pulled in. He looks commercial but it did not seem to stop him .....

As for getting pulled over I just prepare for it and will keep a positive attitude if and when it ever does happen. It won't be the end of the world.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

I have been guilty of this in the past. A few years back, I picked up a load of hay for my horses. I usually pick up my hay from about 150 miles away (good price, guy treats me right, and quality hay). The hay was 4x4x8 bales, and guesstimated at 1500lbs. My GN is rated at 21k, so figured 14 bales would put me close. Guy had a green bale that he couldn't sell, and said if I could feed it out immediately, he would just give it to me. This was when hay was selling for $250+ a ton, so I jumped on it. 15 bales was quite a load. Only stacked 2 high all the way back, but that 15th bales made a difference. My Ram struggled with it for the first half of the trip home (mostly uphill), and then seemed to run great the rest of the way (mostly downhill). I figured it was due to dirty air filter, temp, etc. When I got home, I ran it over the scales....at 48k. The bales weighed closer to 2200lbs.

I bought the HDT later that year, and haven't looked back.

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

Heading to Hucthison, today, pulled over at mobile DOT scale just east of Holly CO at the KS boarder, on US 50, when the officer saw the not for hire sign he said sorry on your way, have a nice day.

2011 vnl730 D13 435/1650 I-shift singled mid 2015 Keystone Raptor 425ts 2015 Smart

The only scales I go through are the portables. You really have no choice but to pull in.....there is a DOT guy there flagging most of the time.....We got stopped at portables headed to the Rally 4 years ago on CO 50. When they saw the signs and the RV they flagged us on.... but I did follow their directions and pulled in.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The officer came out in front me and flaged me over, I passed another portable scale an hour earlier, the officer just waved at us, I NEVER voluntarily stop at a scale, I carried a CDL for 40 years in my line of work.

2011 vnl730 D13 435/1650 I-shift singled mid 2015 Keystone Raptor 425ts 2015 Smart

• 4 weeks later...

I want to peel mine off.....

I don't have signs on any of our other vehicles that say "I have a valid driver's license and insurance" or "NOT an illegal alien" or "NOT transporting illegal drugs"! Last time I checked, this is still America where you are innocent until proven guilty. If there is no business name or DOT # present, it should be assumed by law enforcement that it is a private vehicle for personal/recreational use.

If I repaint the truck I'm not putting anything on it for sure!

Yes, innocent until proven guilty. But if you are charged you are forced to defend yourself, and incur the costs of doing so. I would rather not be stopped period. Much easier. A few letters on your truck is cheaper than any attorney.

2006 Volvo 630, 10 spd, 465 hp D12 1650 torque, Tandem Axles (Texas Dually)
18' Dovetail Flatbed with EZ Slide Ramps by Texas RV & Toy Hauler Conversions
30' Flagstaff Bumper Pull Travel Trailer
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.5" Lift (Night Crawler)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, innocent until proven guilty. But if you are charged you are forced to defend yourself, and incur the costs of doing so. I would rather not be stopped period. Much easier. A few letters on your truck is cheaper than any attorney.

Last sentence should read:

"A few letters on your truck is cheaper than an hour of any attorney's time"... <_<

This summer I had some maintenance done at the dealer north of Williston, ND.

Driving to the WalMart, I was driving a little under the 45 MPH speed limit on four lane divided US 2 / US 85. The traffic was very light at 2 PM. Looking at my gauges, I drifted onto the paved eight foot wide shoulder a couple times.

After parking at Walmart a girl got out of her car and asked me if I saw her in the last two miles. After she told me that she would give me a warning ticket for "going over the fog line" which is actually failure to "maintain the lane." She asked me to get into her car. I then told her that I had a Concealed Handgun Permit and handed her my Glock when she wasn't strong enough to pull it out of the holster. She put it in my truck.

She asked me about license requirements for my truck and I told her that neither ND or SD required a license for a non commercial truck and pointed out my "little hitch." The "little hitch" seemed to put her mind at ease about licensing. My stack of IDs put her at ease about my Glock. Treating her the way I would want my granddaughter to be treated with kindness and a smile also helped.

Eight years ago, I was stopped in MT for my stairs being down. I won't do that again!

2004 Peterbilt 385

2004 New Horizon 41 foot fiver

One Trek for chores and one for fun

Say What! "I then told her that I had a Concealed Handgun Permit and handed her my Glock when she wasn't strong enough to pull it out of the holster."

Ok Tom. You need to explain this one a little more! I'm thinking the holster was still on you??? And she was reaching to you to pull it out????? This all presents a strange little picture!!!!

I totally agree with you on how you treat them will be how they treat you.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

I don't want to hyjack the topic so just a quick answer.

ND doesn't require volunteering the CHL unless asked.

However, I didn't feel comfortable going into her car without telling her.

ND as in most states allow the LEO to disarm a person during the discussion.

She didn't have the strength so I did it for her.

She had possession for about five seconds that it took for her to lay it on the floor of the Pete.

She told me that she would have liked me to volunteer at the beginning.

I reminded her that was not required.

I bet she will ask more often now!

2004 Peterbilt 385

2004 New Horizon 41 foot fiver

One Trek for chores and one for fun

Archived