Safety While Full timing

cbg72273

can a small camper (21') handle a solar panel on its roof? or maybe i should go to the 24' size. Decisions, decisions.

I was able to fit 4 solar panels, an air conditioner, and a powered vent fan on the roof of my 24' motorhome. But what you can fit depends on the shape of your roof and the placement of other items.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't overlook the very nice county parks in Washington as well. We have hosted for Clallam County parks and they have electricity on sites with water and dump station available. There is a park at Sequiem and one west of Port Angeles.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I bet that most of the crooks assume that if an old goat like me is out roaming around in an RV, I'm probably armed.

So far, it seems that most trouble happens at busy campgrounds (bored kids with lots of places to blend in) and truck stops (there seems to be an entire sub-culture dedicated to robbing from truckers).

Can't you just see some punk trying to get away quick after carjacking a monster class A?

:)

David

Related information update. Talking to a ranger/medical person this past weekend about rattlesnake bites. Their experience has been that MOST bites occur around the ankles. Unless you are reaching for something, then the arms or hands. Only one persons opinion. What have you observed?

Safe Travels! Always Be Alert!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Janisq

Take your time about deciding what size rig you really need and what you might need in solar. If you don't boondock, you probably do not need it. We boondock almost exclusively so we are quite happy with it. Kirk's is absolutely correct about the county parks in Washington. We chose not to use the electrical hookups. As poster #80 noted, snake bites are usually low or on hands/arms - and they are very serious.

Reed and Elaine

Thanks reed and elaine, that's exactly what i was thinking of. But also get in a visit of northern California. i look up these places on the computer and also looked up campgrounds and everything looks so beautiful there. Of course i imagine the campgrounds fill up so i'll have to make sure of making reservations at just the right time. i don't want to boondock, especially since i'm a beginner camper. i guess the state and federal cgs don't have electricity? I don't know anything about boondocking since i don't even have a camper yet. still looking. don't want to live without electricity. can a small camper (21') handle a solar panel on its roof? or maybe i should go to the 24' size. Decisions, decisions.

Many state and federal campground have electric. Many national forest campgrounds are being renovated to include electric. They're beautiful places to stay.

Don't rule out boondocking or dry camping in campgrounds (no electric/water hookups). Once you do it you'll find it's very easy to do and if you don't have solar you can at least last 2-3 nights by being conservative and saving your battery power. It can be done! By doing this kind of camping occasionally you'll find yourself in gorgeous places rather than an RV park with nothing to look at but other RVs. :)

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

The one thing we could not do without while boondocking for a few days was drip coffee. Not French Pressed, not perked, not "sun Coffee," certainly not instant or mixes. So we keep a Dripolator in our rigs. It took a long time to come up with our first one as they are scarce. Here are pictures of some: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=dripolator&qpvt=dripolator&qpvt=dripolator&FORM=IGRE

I prefer the Aluminum ones from the old days. So much so that I have begun collecting them. I have six complete ones now. I do have one stainless steel one too. Then you make your drip coffee and leave it on the edge of the stovetop burner or in a thermal carafe. They still make new ones of Stainless Steel like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flint-8-Cup-Stainless-Steel-Stovetop-Drip-Coffee-Pot-Maker-Model-271-/111779142016

If you like drip coffee, you'll like this one for boondocking.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

We use French Press, Aeropress and the Turkish Cezve or Ibrik. French press takes a bit of water and or paper towel to clean out. The Aeropress just punches out and the Turkish coffee is really great . And we use instant as well. We use the microwave or the propane stove to heat water. We have enough solar/battery to do this. Just never liked drip coffee from a drip coffee maker - the stuff in the Army was so bad.

Reed and Elaine

We have a Bunn that has been in the family for over 30 years. When we are boondocking and want to make coffee without the generator, we place the carafe on the counter, place the basket on top, heat water on the stove, and pour it into the basket. Very low tech, but it works! :D

Edit: After posting I realized the topic and wondered how coffee relates to safety. Then I realized anyone near me before I had my morning coffee was in danger, so it is on topic after all.... :P

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

We have a Bunn that has been in the family for over 30 years. When we are boondocking and want to make coffee without the generator, we place the carafe on the counter, place the basket on top, heat water on the stove, and pour it into the basket. Very low tech, but it works! :D

Edit: After posting I realized the topic and wondered how coffee relates to safety. Then I realized anyone near me before I had my morning coffee was in danger, so it is on topic after all.... :P

Safe Travels...

That^ and the fact that alertness is definitely affected ... ;)

Goes around , comes around .

• 11 months later...

I liked what another lady user was saying about Motor Home in comparison the trailer. You can just jump in the seat and back out if not in a park with hook ups.

I had a issue in Canada on the beach. There was someone that got the hood released and was fiddling with something when I got up. They slammed the hood, egged my van and left. I was in my front seat with RV started in less than 10 seconds. They were gone by then.

If I needed to, I could have backed out and left.

It was really scary but I handled it. It was a really nice area in Victoria, BC.

The only thing to FEAR is fear itself.

I feel sorry for anyone that is successful in opening the door to my RV.

The only thing to FEAR is fear itself.

The thread is now about a year old so may not get much activity. We must lead a charmed life as we have done various forms of RV travels for 35+ years and 12 years fulltime, and have never had any significant dangerous situations.

We must lead a charmed life as we have done various forms of RV travels for 35+ years and 12 years fulltime, and have never had any significant dangerous situations.

What feels significantly dangerous to a man can be different from what feels significantly dangerous to a woman. But in my 3 years plus three winters on the road I never felt like I was in danger either. Except the time we accidentally got on an unpaved mountain road that should have been labeled 4-wheel drive only.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Thanks for that acknowledgement.

I find that Men are not targets.

Not that I am going to be afraid of anyone or anything,

I Would never give that power away, just prepared.

I will go and enjoy. Don't step into my freedom and space unless invited.

Respect!

I find that Men are not targets.

Not that I am going to be afraid of anyone or anything,

I'm sure that there is some validity to that view and there is also a degree of security added for a couple as well. But the up side of this is that RV travel has historically been one of the least risky lifestyles of our society and hopefully it will remain that way. Your good judgment and awareness are a large part of your security and I too avoid stopping in places that do not feel secure to me. It is wise to use discretion in your travels so long as you don't allow it mean living in fear. But I also believe that our society tends to underestimate the abilities of a woman to be prepared and to protect herself. I have known more than one lady who was better prepared to protect herself than most men, but we don't often admit to that.

When traveling in/thru Canada your handgun options are to store them before you enter Canada, OR ship them to an FFL in Alaska or CONUS, whichever way you are traveling. We had a caravan member who had a shotgun on board with all required paperwork previously completed. He had no problem at any of our several border crossings.

We just crossed into Nova Scotia and a US RV'er declared a shotgun. They told him there was no way he could bring it in. He said he'd brought it in before into British Columbia on route to Alaska. They told him that's OK there but not in the rest of Canada.

He then asked what he was supposed to do with it and they told him they had a number for a US gun store he could call who would store it for him OR:

THEY HAD A GUN SAFE RIGHT THERE IN THEIR OFFICE, THEY COULD STORE THE WEAPON FOR HIM AND HE COUD PICK IT UP ON THE WAY BACK!!

That was a new one on me but he agreed to do that, they gave him a receipt and off he went!

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

I don't feel more vulnerable as an Rver, but I do because I am now an old man and not able to fight

younger men if they were trying to rob me. They would be able to take me down. I have a BH to protect as well.

I do have a CHL from Texas and I do carry a handgun when I travel.

I have to agree with this post. As we age, it is true that we're less able to defend ourselves against a brute force attack. I am from Texas and am a CHL holder. I ALWAYS carry my weapon. Sad to say that it has come to this, but if attacked, it usually becomes "him or me" ... I know which I prefer.

2017 KZ Durango Gold 381REF, 8K morRYDE IS, Disc brakes, 17.5" Hi Spec Aluminum Wheels w Goodyear G114 H rated tires

2016 F350 King Ranch DRW, 3.73, 4x4, Super Duty Crew Cab, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel.

26,760 CGVW

I carry a 2' machete behind the rear truck seat and once 5 years ago in Toledo I was glad I had it. I was in a Walmart lot with my pickup and gooseneck trailer when a van approached with 2 guys asking if I wanted to buy some stereo equipment. I said no, but they kept circling my truck about 3 times. So I opened the door and pulled out the machete and when they saw I wasn't going to be a easy target they quickly drove away. I had a CCW, but guns are not allowed in commercial vehicles. I still carry the machete today.

Greg

Archived