Safety While Full timing

cbg72273

One can always put out the concertina wire, place the M18 Claymore mines in primary approaches with M14 landmines in the dead spaces, and set up the fields of fire for the squad automatics; however, I believe I left that life style 48 years ago. Situational awareness is what is important.

We primarily boondock as full timers and have never felt any worries dispersed camping. We have visiting nephew and family in Hillsdale, Oregon (Portland) and have twice stayed at the State Fair Grounds there and it was excellent. It was in use last time we were there and checked reviews on RV parks. One had several very negative reviews since folks felt it had a rough (if not criminal) element there and so we avoided it.

Reed

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I can determine, nobody has disagreed with that view. The original post was about RVing safety in general. The author of that post has not been back since 9/21 so has likely lost interest in this, as have I. :)

My original post was about personal safety. I was gone a few days due to a busy schedule. I think the thread veered off course a little but that's okay. I too have an interest in vehicular safety. I am a former defensive driving instructor and I taught an emergency vehicle operator course. I have over 40 years experience driving commercial and emergency vehicles with no chargeable accidents. 3 out of the 4 accidents I was involved in, my vehicle was stopped and not moving. Did I mention that 20 of those years were in New York City? :D Thank you all for your responses, they were helpful. - - - Chris

Chris & Brenda

Two Peas In A Pod

I read most of the discussions on Safety While Full timing; but nobody said anything about weather. I want to start RV'ing--traveling across the United States in a Class C RV but the one thing I'm really concerned about is the weather. I hear on the news about the tornadoes in the center of the country and that scares me. Also, how much can a class C rv take with high winds whether parked in an RV park or traveling down the road. Any information on this would be helpful. Thanks, Janis.

I'm not RV'ing, but I've been on a couple cross-country long journeys living in a SUV. As a single woman (alone) with only my dog, some people thought I was crazy. There was only one time (going through Oregon), where I was actually a bit afraid. I was getting very sleepy and needed to pull over. I was in the middle of NOWHERE. I did, however, find a rest stop. There was no one there (it seemed), but there was a banged up pick-up sitting in the lot. Something in my gut just told me not to chance it, so I passed on it and kept driving. I put the windows down and leaned my head a bit out the window, drank water, chewed gum to keep myself awake. Fortunately, several miles down the road, there was a pull out and I just pulled over and took a quick cat nap - 40 winks. I had the doors locked, my dog right beside me, and the keys in my hand. I also had pepper-spray with me (had to discard that before I crossed the border to Canada). My brother was once approached at a rest stop like that while he was sleeping in his truck. This guy started banging on the window and his face was covered in what looked like blood. He wanted in and brother said, "no". Instead he told him he would call the police on his cell and they would come help him. Well, the guy disappeared after that. Probably ketchup that was on his face. Always be aware of your surroundings and listen to your gut.

Mary (in CA)...following the dream to Idaho...

“Home is the place where, when you have to go there, They have to take you in.”
Robert Frost

There are so many factors affecting the characteristics of any RV on the road that a generalization of Class C is almost meaningless. Age, manufacturer and even the model can make a lot of difference in the risks and how critical they are.

Gusty crosswinds are the worst. Head on gusts are the second worst. Coming out of tunnels and off/on bridges can also be a big challenge.

Many class C MHs can be top heavy but worse is the shape and size of the frontal exposure surface. That is taking the wind of your speed plus the changing slipstream off your cab.

Choice of tires/ suspensions and overhang are probably the next big items to watch. Big rear overhangs can cause a lot of twerking (not the good kind) in traffic and cross winds.

Last, is considering the size and placement of liquids like fresh water, holding tanks and propane tanks.

RV. ORG does have a ratings guide that tries to interpolate a relative handling rating based on manufacturer's specs for each model. It is worth checking this out to get a sense of mfrs and units that are better in expected handling.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

I read most of the discussions on Safety While Full timing; but nobody said anything about weather.

Get a weather radio. We tune ours to a local channel as part of our arrival setup procedure. Weather ap on a smart phone can provide valuable data also. If caught in a storm we try to park our class A with the rear to the wind for smaller profile & no glass. If in doubt, find more solid shelter. Many rv parks in that part of the country have shelter plans.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

I read most of the discussions on Safety While Full timing; but nobody said anything about weather. I want to start RV'ing--traveling across the United States in a Class C RV but the one thing I'm really concerned about is the weather. I hear on the news about the tornadoes in the center of the country and that scares me. Also, how much can a class C rv take with high winds whether parked in an RV park or traveling down the road. Any information on this would be helpful. Thanks, Janis.

If you are driving down the Interstate at 70 miles per hour and there is a 30 mile per hour head wind, that is a total of 100 miles per hour wind and you can do that all day long with no ill effects on the Class C. However, you see videos sometimes of tornados picking up cars and trucks and flinging them around like toys. Tornado winds can be much higher than 100 mph and should certainly be avoided. But even a S&B house may be destroyed by a tornado and at least with a Class C you have the advantage that you can start it up and drive in any direction you like - preferably away from the storm. A huge edge over living in a permanent house.

I would worry more about being eaten by a shark. After all, a water spout could suck up a shark out of the ocean, carry him along to the midwest and then drop him down your chimney. That is probably more likely to happen than a tornado seeking out your house and destroying it, although it does happen once in a while.

F-250 SCREW 4X4 Gas, 5th NuWa Premier 35FKTG, Full Time, Engineer Ret.

In our Class C (Winnebago View) we didn't drive if the wind gusts were predicted to be above 20 mph because we didn't like having to fight to stay in our lane. We were once parked in the desert with 70 mph wind gusts which did rock the RV but we kept the slide in and came through just fine. Only once in three years was a tornado warning close enough to cause us to take shelter-- we spent a couple hours in a concrete block bathhouse but other than small tree limbs having blown down we saw no damage. We did drive north when a hurricane watch was issued when we were in coastal Alabama once. A weather radio or app to issue warnings along with NOAA in your bowser are your best friends when it comes to weather events. Stay alert and take evasive action when warranted and you will be fine.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

First of all, welcome to the Escapee forums! We are always happy to have new folks join us here so feel free to join in at any time.

I read most of the discussions on Safety While Full timing; but nobody said anything about weather. I want to start RV'ing--traveling across the United States in a Class C RV but the one thing I'm really concerned about is the weather. I hear on the news about the tornadoes in the center of the country and that scares me.

Any RV has some level of ability to withstand high winds and to handle in wind effects which is partly caused by the quality of construction and suspension, the proper distribution of weight inside, both by design and by loading, and the speed and circumstances. Weather has a great effect upon driving conditions and even the most skilled of us will find that weather effects have a major impact upon the enjoyment of travel even if you have the skills to deal with conditions. I used to do a lot of driving as a part of my job when I had no choice but to travel any time that the roads were open. As a result, when I retired I made a vow that if weather is anything less than good, I sit where I am until it improves. I have even chosen to stay another day just because I didn't want to unhook in rain. Remember that an RV of any kind is far heavier than any car and so it has more problems if it should slide or hydroplane and more tendency to do so. Winds make driving unpleasant long before they become dangerous for travel, so always pay close attention to road condition and weather reports when traveling. RV life is supposed to be fun, not a skill test so take the easy way out. There are few places today where a major road will not be dry and in good condition if you are willing to wait for a day or two with current highway maintenance standards.

If you leave the highway because of high wind conditions, be very aware of where you park for the wait period. In wind it is best to park the RV with the rear into the wind if possible. Not only does that provide less surface area for the wind to hit and so its more safe, it also is more pleasant inside since the wind will not cause the RV to move nearly as much. In addition, be cautious about parking under or behind trees, as a wind storm can cause limbs to break off and come down on you so small ones are OK and good shelter, but very large ones may bring danger. The same can be said for buildings and structures. The worst damage to parked RVs that I have witnessed has all been caused by flying debris, even in areas of tornado damage. Only rarely does an RV actually get hit by a tornado, but wind blown debris is the main problem. According to FEMA, more than 80% of the deaths and injuries from tornadoes is caused by flying debris, outside of the direct path of the eye.

When you stop, always find out where the nearest shelter is, and just make that a part of checking in. And when a warning is given, take shelter no matter what you are doing or how many times in the past it has been a false alarm. I am 73 years old and have lived about 60% of my life in areas considered to be tornado country and in that time I have never experienced tornado damage to my property, but I have seen more than one close by, with the most recent one only 6 miles away. I suspect that I have taken cover more than 100 times, perhaps many more than that, yet each one has been, for me a false alarm but one of the reasons people die in weather events is that so many stop taking cover after years of such experiences and that one time that you do not take cover is probably the one which will hit you. I have found that emergencies that you prepare for seldom ever happen, but ignored ones will bite you.

On the other hand, it is foolish to avoid all areas that experience tornadoes or other such weather as doing so is rather like living in a hole to be safe and missing out on some of the very best parts of life. There is no state of this country which has never experienced a tornado and even in the states where it happens most, less than 1/2 of 1% of the population are ever harmed in any way. Between tornadoes, hurricanes, earth quakes, sink holes, and forest fires, and a host of other dangers, there is nowhere that is safe from natural events. The risk of being harmed by a tornado or weather event is much less than that of injury in a motor vehicle accident, even in the most effected areas, yet all of us drive around with little thought to that danger. Paying attention to weather, whether tornadoes, hail, snow, wind, or even rain is very much like the wearing of a seat belt. None of us ever go on the highways expecting to be involved in an accident, yet nearly all of us wear a seat belt each time that we start our automobiles. Paying attention to weather and to road conditions is no different. It is simply risk management and we take precautions and move on, realizing that there is very little probability of our suffering ill effects dealing with the result on that rare time that it does.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Here's the thing. There is no one rule that makes you safe except don't be there when it is marginal. I have seen Full Semi trucks with trailers blown over on Interstate highways and they were sitting still when it happened. I have been in a GMC dually 3500 pulling a TT enclosed Auto hauler and a micro burst of wind caught us and next thing, we were rolled by the trailer. It was a matter of what the wind did to the whole rig because the trailer did not have a good hitch, like a Hensley, to control the sway and away it went and took the truck with it when it rolled.

We have lived through 3 direct hits from hurricanes and been in the active field of at least 4 more over the past 55 years.

Running from tornadoes might seem to be an option... if you can be sure which way to run. Spring 2011, we were hit directly by an F2 while sitting in a campground in Smithfield, NC. Radar said there were 5 separate tornado warnings around us so no clue which way was safer to go if we could have even gotten it started. There was about 8 minutes between the warning and being hit. The guy across the street, hopped into his pickup and drove 5 miles up I-95 and hunkered down in the huge outlet mall. The tornado came right up the back side of the buildings he was in. That was the second direct hit we have had from a tornado.

In 2012, down in St Augustine, FL, I checked the radar and then hopped into the car and took off in a perpendicular direction from the path of the tornado on the ground. It missed our RV park by a mile but a second one came within 2 miles of us where we stopped 32 miles away and waited.

I don't want any more of that so we moved to Washington State on the Olympic Peninsula. No history of tornadoes or hurricanes up here, ever.

Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Um, NW Washingon State:

Cascadia Fault with possible giant tsunamis - be way above sea level

Mt. Rainier with massive lahrs that have run down to Puget Sound. That does not affect the Peninsula

Spent two or three weeks last summer on Olympic Peninsula. Stayed at Dungeness State Park for a week and then another week at Klahowya in Olympic National Forest. Solar did not do much a Klahowya. We did drive around and found some great dispersed camping sites in the Klawoya area. I think that some commercial logging areas permit dispersed camping. We would return.

Reed and Elaine

We be in a good spot according to the 9.1 megaquake inundation map projections. We are 145 miles from Mr Ranier and the winds are very rarely from the east so the ash should also not likely be a problem. We live in an RV so let er shake all it wants.

Earthquakes, volcanoes and their lahrs are definitely a don't be there scenario.

I replied to an email but can't find it on here. I'm looking to travel across country--not live in an RV permanently. I want to cross the United States in about 3-4 month period. I want to take the southern route--I was thinking of leaving in July and take my time to see things I haven't seen before. I would love to see northern California, Oregon and Washington state. I would like to see Montana and the Dakotas on another trip--since i figure at the time-period it would be to late to visit that area of the country. New England area I can visit whenever since I live in New York. Florida will also be another trip. I planned on returning by the southern route. Maybe taking the northern route would be a better way to go and return by the southern route. Have no idea what the country would be like traveling the northern way. I will be traveling alone, no guns but will carry bear spray. I'm not afraid since my curiosity is stronger than any fear i would have. Since I haven't even bought an RV yet--I've been switching between a class c or a small travel trailer. Not sure which to go for. The weather radio is a great idea. I have a cell phone but will carry another for backup. I will have a laptop also to keep my family updated on my travels. I'm not keen on seeing southern California because of the traffic. Would like to see it--but I hear its worse than Long Island traffic which is pretty bad. I love reading all the subjects on this site because it really makes me excited to start my journey. Janis.

Sounds like you really want to go west in June by the northern route. See the Badlands, Custer, Mt Rushmore, Devil's Tower. Time permitting, go up through Glacier National Park, then into Canada to see Waterton Glacier Park, Lake Louise, Banff, The icefields up to Jasper. Then swing west and back down towards Puget sound to see Victoria, Seattle, The Olympic Peninsula, then down to Astoria, then along 101 all the way down through Oregon to see Jedediah Smith Redwoods National and State Park (Crescent City) and on down to Arcata, Eureka.

From that point, again, time permitting, you could either swing back to the northeast to see Lassen National Park, Crater Lake and back east to the ROckies to see Yellowstone, Teton National Park and then south to swing across to the Gulf Coast of Texas and points east. If you just want to say you have been there, a car might get you through it all. But if you want to experience it all, then definitely an RV that suits your comfort and convenience levels and take at least 2 years to do it.

We came from the other direction (NC) and St Augustine FL first. Spent 18 months there before heading north mid 2013. Swung up through Illinois then west to Sioux Falls, SD, badlands, etc, etc. etc. We Spent Fall working at Amazon in Nevada, then spent Christmas in South Lake Tahoe before heading towards Redding for 3 months. We left Redding April 2014, went to Arcata/Eureka then up the coast to Lincoln City, OR by Mid May. Stayed there 3 months before heading up to Astoria then eventually, to Sequim, WA where we are now. Been here for a year and staying at least until mid 2016 before heading back east. From here, we will do the Canada, Glacier NP stuff on the way east.

You have lot of time to plan this. There are so many Internet tools to help you test it out virtually before ever buying a gallon of gas that when you actually reach these places they will feel very familiar and you can really enjoy just being there.

Take the time to experience the places and people instead of just seeing them and moving on. The images will fade in your memory but not the experiences.

I will have a laptop also to keep my family updated on my travels. I'm not keen on seeing southern California because of the traffic. Would like to see it--but I hear its worse than Long Island traffic which is pretty bad. I love reading all the subjects on this site because it really makes me excited to start my journey. J

I really don't think that the traffic is all that much worse in CA than on Long Island, and I have driven in both. All you need to do is to avoid the center cities and time your travel for lighter traffic periods. The CA interstate system is mostly excellent as long as you stay away from rush hour. I suggest that you start by educating yourself about RVs and the different types and what it takes to tow or drive one.

From what you want to see, some sort of RV is probably a good choice for you and most single women seem to prefer either a class C or in a few cases a class B. Of course a great deal also depends upon how much space you require and the amount of possessions that you wish to carry with you.

I want to cross the United States in about 3-4 month period. I want to take the southern route--I was thinking of leaving in July and take my time to see things I haven't seen before. I would love to see northern California, Oregon and Washington state. I would like to see Montana and the Dakotas on another trip--since i figure at the time-period it would be to late to visit that area of the country.

July/August/September is a great time to travel through the northern states as long as you get back home by mid-October when many northern parks turn off their water. Those are your best bets for not having mountain passes be closed. I would save the southern states for a winter trip to reduce your dependence on air conditioning. Not fun sightseeing when you sweat while standing still.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Sounds like you really want to go west in June by the northern route. See the Badlands, Custer, Mt Rushmore, Devil's Tower. Time permitting, go up through Glacier National Park, then into Canada to see Waterton Glacier Park, Lake Louise, Banff, The icefields up to Jasper. Then swing west and back down towards Puget sound to see Victoria, Seattle, The Olympic Peninsula, then down to Astoria, then along 101 all the way down through Oregon to see Jedediah Smith Redwoods National and State Park (Crescent City) and on down to Arcata, Eureka.

From that point, again, time permitting, you could either swing back to the northeast to see Lassen National Park, Crater Lake and back east to the ROckies to see Yellowstone, Teton National Park and then south to swing across to the Gulf Coast of Texas and points east. If you just want to say you have been there, a car might get you through it all. But if you want to experience it all, then definitely an RV that suits your comfort and convenience levels and take at least 2 years to do it.

We came from the other direction (NC) and St Augustine FL first. Spent 18 months there before heading north mid 2013. Swung up through Illinois then west to Sioux Falls, SD, badlands, etc, etc. etc. We Spent Fall working at Amazon in Nevada, then spent Christmas in South Lake Tahoe before heading towards Redding for 3 months. We left Redding April 2014, went to Arcata/Eureka then up the coast to Lincoln City, OR by Mid May. Stayed there 3 months before heading up to Astoria then eventually, to Sequim, WA where we are now. Been here for a year and staying at least until mid 2016 before heading back east. From here, we will do the Canada, Glacier NP stuff on the way east.

You have lot of time to plan this. There are so many Internet tools to help you test it out virtually before ever buying a gallon of gas that when you actually reach these places they will feel very familiar and you can really enjoy just being there.

Take the time to experience the places and people instead of just seeing them and moving on. The images will fade in your memory but not the experiences.

Bud, I looked up all the places you talked about and looking forward to seeing these places. But I'll probably skip Canada. I've always wanted to travel along the Pacific coast and wanted to see the redwoods. Also always wanted to see Mt. Rushmore. Thanks for all the information--this will be my first trip. A little afraid of the rattlesnakes though. Do they ever try to get into travel trailers? Thanks again for the great info. Janis

. I've always wanted to travel along the Pacific coast and wanted to see the redwoods. Also always wanted to see Mt. Rushmore. Thanks for all the information--this will be my first trip. A little afraid of the rattlesnakes though. Do they ever try to get into travel trailers?

The Pacific coast area is one of the more scenic stretches in the country and has far too much to experience for just a trip down that road. If you follow US-101 Forks, WA all of the way south to Eureka, CA you will see some spectacular coastal areas and still be on well traveled routes with many tourist facilities. Pick a campground and spend a few days and you will have many choices of where to wander as you go south. It is crooked road with some short steep stretches, but it is used by every type of RV that exists.

There are occasional rattle snakes in parts of WY, MT, ,CA, and probably in some places in nearly all of the states, but they don't go out hunting for people and they won't be lurking nearby, just waiting to sneak into your RV. While I suppose it is possible that one may have gotten into an RV somehow at one time, somewhere, I have never once known of that happening and I have been in many areas that have a population of rattle snakes with our RV. Rattle snakes are no different than most wildlife in that they prefer to avoid human contact and prefer to be left alone. If you spend your time in major tourist attractions and highly visited areas, you are not likely to ever see one. If you go out and poke around under rocks and brush in the countryside where they are known to exist, they you might. But even then they warn you so when they do people who move away rarely get bitten.

If you try hard enough you can find something to be afraid of anywhere. But if you use a bit of common sense and good judgment you have very little chance of ever being in serious danger.

Bud, I looked up all the places you talked about and looking forward to seeing these places. But I'll probably skip Canada. I've always wanted to travel along the Pacific coast and wanted to see the redwoods. Also always wanted to see Mt. Rushmore. Thanks for all the information--this will be my first trip. A little afraid of the rattlesnakes though. Do they ever try to get into travel trailers? Thanks again for the great info. Janis

You were in a lot more danger in New York of snakes getting in your trailer.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

You were in a lot more danger in New York of snakes getting in your trailer.

:D So true. Rattlesnakes are rare in most places and as Chirakawa stated you've been much more in danger in New York than you ever will be by rattlesnakes. Just watch where you're stepping if you're out in the wilds. Carry a long walking stick. You should rarely have any problem in CGs or RV parks. Good luck and enjoy. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

You can spend all summer in Washington and Oregon. The Olympic Peninsula and Crate Lake are must visit. Olympic Peninsula has a lot of very nice state and federal limited facility CGs (vault toilets, water points and some have dump stations). We plan to return once we have been back to Labrador and Newfoundland.

Reed and Elaine

Thanks reed and elaine, that's exactly what i was thinking of. But also get in a visit of northern California. i look up these places on the computer and also looked up campgrounds and everything looks so beautiful there. Of course i imagine the campgrounds fill up so i'll have to make sure of making reservations at just the right time. i don't want to boondock, especially since i'm a beginner camper. i guess the state and federal cgs don't have electricity? I don't know anything about boondocking since i don't even have a camper yet. still looking. don't want to live without electricity. can a small camper (21') handle a solar panel on its roof? or maybe i should go to the 24' size. Decisions, decisions.

Archived