Just ordered our 2017 Volvo 42T780

Larry&Donna-AK

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't fret too much about the top gear being 0.78:1. Two different reasons I come to that conclusion:

1) The I-Shift transmissions come in two flavors: direct and overdrive. The only difference is how they "plumb" the splitter. Plumbed one way, it's 1.28:1 or 1:1. Plumbed the other way, it's 1:1 or 1:1.28 (notice that I wrote it "backwards", as this directly translates to 0.78:1). In the end, it shifts all of the gear RATIOS up/down by 28%, which happens to be the effective ratio between any two adjacent gears in an I-shift. The overdrive box effectively steals 1st and makes it into a 13th gear, if you were to plot the ratios alongside a direct-drive box.

2) You can take any engine, pick any (reasonable) cruising RPM, pick any tire size, and find a rear-end ratio that satisfies the top-gear transmission ratio you've selected. The only mathematical difference is how fast the driveshaft spins while you're cruising down the road. Raise the transmission ratio, lower the rear-axle ratio by the inverse, the only net change is the driveshaft RPM. Available torque to the road stays the same if the engine RPM stays the same.

There are some theories that overdrive ratios in the transmission result in higher heat/friction losses than a direct-drive ratio. I've not heard anyone prove/disprove this yet, so I suspect it's so miniscule that it's not worth the sweat.

As a WA resident (truck speed limit is 60) with in-laws and friends in Texas (some roads pushing 85mph, plenty of others at 70/75/80), I'd be tempted to gear a truck such that 11th (direct) was in the sweet spot at 60, and 12th (overdrive) was in the sweet spot for 75mph.

I added the link for our build here and edited my initial post. Hope it works

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxE8RW2gPZW2dm1LZTFHYkNJLS1QSXFMbFR3UDFyWHRWWDlJ/view?usp=sharing

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Larry

Thanks for posting your build sheet!

A couple of questions...

What is your opinion of the "swivel" option for the front seats?

Are the standard valve stems on the inner rear tires extended?

Did I miss the invertor/shore power package including size and type of invertor and location of power receptacles?

No "Wabasco" style heater?

Did you Option" out of the workstation for a straight bottom bunk?

I thought tires had to equal or exceed the rating of the axle they are attached to.

Will the location of your fuel tanks put the rear of them even with the end of the cab?

Sorry for so many questions... I'm still learning about the new trucks and options available.

Thanks in advance.

Larry

Thanks for posting your build sheet!

A couple of questions...

What is your opinion of the "swivel" option for the front seats?

Are the standard valve stems on the inner rear tires extended?

Did I miss the invertor/shore power package including size and type of invertor and location of power receptacles?

No "Wabasco" style heater?

Did you Option" out of the workstation for a straight bottom bunk?

I thought tires had to equal or exceed the rating of the axle they are attached to.

Will the location of your fuel tanks put the rear of them even with the end of the cab?

Sorry for so many questions... I'm still learning about the new trucks and options available.

Thanks in advance.

Thank goodness for all the questions. some items I never considered

1. We asked for the Swivel seats, just thinking it would be more comfortable in case we had to boon docked and to move around.
  2. We have the Invertor/shore power, the receptacles will be available at the work station, microwave, and television areas.
  3. the heater was ordered but you're correct I don't see it,...thanks
  4. We want the bottom bunk/workstation and never considered anything else
  5. I don't know the answer about the tires vs axle but I will check. Just thinking it's not an issue.
  6. Tank location...has been a difficult issue for me to nail down. I've received a ordering code and we'll be checking on this

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

The magnum inverter was installed at the Volvo factory at my request so I could get the sink option. It seems that is a unusual thing but they did it for me.

Interesting, I was told NO it couldn't be done.

Where did they mount the inverter? Do you have the order code?

The magnum inverter was installed at the Volvo factory at my request so I could get the sink option. It seems that is a unusual thing but they did it for me.

Interesting, I was told NO it couldn't be done.

Where did they mount the inverter? Do you have the order code?

Scott.....it has the work station and bunk plus the inverter. I think the Webasto cab heater got deleted but I see a heated windshield on the sheet.

I believe your correct the heater being deleted, it suppose to be there.

Scott.....it has the work station and bunk plus the inverter. I think the Webasto cab heater got deleted but I see a heated windshield on the sheet.

The Cab Heater will be re-added, don't understand how it was dropped off.

Yes we ordered the heated windshield, Home is Alaska and we thought this would be a good option @ $349. We was told it's nearly impossible to add after the fact.

Larry,

The 500/1850-2.67 spec allows the truck to run at very low rpm and with the overdrive i-shift with the light weights we haul it almost never shifts out of 12th gear. Also, 11th gear is 1 to 1 and still runs relatively low rpm with a 2.67 gear. If, you are planning to upgrade to a higher HP/TQ spec in the future I would consider the i-shift with the .78 final. JMHO and 20,000 miles of RV'ing with this combo. The dealers and Volvo really are geared more toward commercial applications. The gentle shift may be something a 80K tanker may need but don't see it myself for our application and with the standard smooth shifting i-shift......again with much lower weights we are hauling. They are probably reducing HP/TQ between shifts to get the "Gentle shift".....I think the normal shift does enough of that and if anything would like quicker and harder shifts in my truck. Did you order the VEC? If, so let me know as it was very annoying to drive with until the Bendix rep tuned it to my needs. It, was again geared towards stopping and following distances with a 80K load. Also, don't forget to order the"ADJUSTABLE TIME GAP" for the VEC which I missed and my salesman didn't inform me about. Also, if you ordered the TPMS reducing the tire pressures to meet our needs is an issue since they are intended for 80K loads and default setting is 110 PSI which we don't need. I am still working with Bendix to resolve this issue.

I really appreciate your input and am now considering the change. Man-O-Man I hate being Wishy Washy, this will be know less than 4 times I've flipped between the two options. :unsure:

I have them in my LGT as well. I wouldn't pay a nickel extra for them, but they were part of a package I ordered. And we do have some fairly hot and muggy weather in the Ohio Valley.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Congratulations on the order. I'm would love to do this some day as well (if I can get my DW to loosen the purse strings a little ;) ).

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Unless I'm mistaken, tires do not have to exceed the rating of the axle upon which they're mounted. If all other components (axle, suspension, etc.) exceed the capacity of the tires, however, as is the case on Larry's proposed truck, the tires become the limiting factor for that axle. That's the reason that the proposed build sheet indicates a rear GAWR of 22,700 with the rear tire description, not the expected 23,000.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Yea that is how it works. But it shouldn't be an issue on a non FET truck. You need to derate everything to land under 33K GVW, so rating the rear over 22700 usually doesn't work anyways. It is an even harder balance on a heavy sleeper truck where you want a stout front but don't want to shortchange the rear.

Going direct vs OD has been an issue from the beginning of time. Going direct you get a lot more torque through a fat shaft and an tiny little pinion gear that can't be all that efficient. On the other hand you lose efficiency having OD gears split in the aux box. Some like it one way and some like it the other. One thing you have to watch close is the startability. You lose quite a bit with the high ratio rear but it might not matter to you guys. What I find annoying, however, is the high reverse starting speed with direct drive high ratio rears. It gets double annoying with a 3 pedal trans where you have less control. It takes so much torque to move that you spin out on everything. I have a 2.67 6x2 automatic truck that can't even back a trailer 90 deg around a flat paved corner. You have to saw it around a couple of times. I don't know how you quantify it with math to find the right 'tipping point' but I thought I'd point it out.

What to do with a Washington truck has always been a pain. 10 speeds and direct drives fall on their face here and you kind of have to just deal with it until you get back across the rockies again. 1750 multi torques made it much better for that kind of thing in 08 but still 1850 13spd wins around here.

Yea that is how it works. But it shouldn't be an issue on a non FET truck. You need to derate everything to land under 33K GVW, so rating the rear over 22700 usually doesn't work anyways. It is an even harder balance on a heavy sleeper truck where you want a stout front but don't want to shortchange the rear.

Going direct vs OD has been an issue from the beginning of time. Going direct you get a lot more torque through a fat shaft and an tiny little pinion gear that can't be all that efficient. On the other hand you lose efficiency having OD gears split in the aux box. Some like it one way and some like it the other. One thing you have to watch close is the startability. You lose quite a bit with the high ratio rear but it might not matter to you guys. What I find annoying, however, is the high reverse starting speed with direct drive high ratio rears. It gets double annoying with a 3 pedal trans where you have less control. It takes so much torque to move that you spin out on everything. I have a 2.67 6x2 automatic truck that can't even back a trailer 90 deg around a flat paved corner. You have to saw it around a couple of times. I don't know how you quantify it with math to find the right 'tipping point' but I thought I'd point it out.

What to do with a Washington truck has always been a pain. 10 speeds and direct drives fall on their face here and you kind of have to just deal with it until you get back across the rockies again. 1750 multi torques made it much better for that kind of thing in 08 but still 1850 13spd wins around here.

Thank you for the Real World input...the OD vs DirectDrive has my head spinning. Sometimes I need to see it in print, therefore I've asked for the Predictors from the dealership for a side-by-side comparison. At least I'll be able to see what it's suppose to do.

Congratulations on the order. I'm would love to do this some day as well (if I can get my DW to loosen the purse strings a little ;) ).

Thank you...My advantage is my Wife loves Trucks, and Jets.

Just to let you know my Dealership tells me the price of New Trucks will dramatically increase 4th quarter of 2017, they say the increase will be over $10K. New EPA regulations kicking in.

Like most of us, I'm on a budget and was looking for a used Truck when I stopped into this dealership. I couldn't pass up the deal when they said they would sell me the Truck with NO Excise Tax.

Archived